Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets have EZRA BUTLER under contract

Jets Insider VIP

Jets have EZRA BUTLER under contract

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fozp-sJoHTw[/url]

Jets Insider VIP

More about EZRA BUTLER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ezra Butler
    Height:6'2"
    Weight:248 lbs.
    College:Nevada
    Conference:WAC
    Hometown:Calabasas, CA
    High School:Calabasas

Butler is a wide body athlete with rare timed speed for his position. He hasn't really been used as a classic outside linebacker, as the "Bandit" position he played is more like a 5-tech rush end. He is a solid blitzer coming off the edge with his hand on the ground and can be used on the front wall, having begun his collegiate career as a 285-pound defensive tackle before trimming his frame to compete playing outside the box.

I read about Butler in Jets Confidential. Do any of you have more information about him? I know he was out of football last year. he has had a reputation for marijuana use.

The New York Jets have signed four players — linebacker [URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1518-ezra-butler"]Ezra Butler[/URL], punter [URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1519-t-j-conley"]T.J. Conley[/URL], linebacker [URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1521-joshua-mauga"]Joshua Mauga[/URL] and wide receiver [URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1523-larry-taylor"]Larry Taylor[/URL] — to reserve/future contracts, The announcement was made by Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Butler (6'2", 248) originally signed with the 49ers as an undrafted free agent in 2008 and was waived May 27, 2008. Butler played for the Las Vegas Locomotives of the United Football League this fall. He made the Lombardi Trophy watch list in 2007 as a linebacker for Nevada.

Conley (6'3", 220) was originally signed by the Jets as an undrafted free agent on May 1 and was released Aug. 16. A Walter Camp All-America first-team selection, Conley finished his senior year at Idaho with a 47.4-yard gross average on 58 punts to lead the NCAA.

Mauga (6'1", 243) was originally signed by the Jets on Aug. 17, waived Sept. 5, signed to the practice squad Dec. 10 and released Dec. 18. Mauga was a four-year starter at Nevada. In his senior year he totaled 54 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks.

Taylor (5'6", 177) has played two seasons for Montreal of the CFL, averaging 9.9 yards per punt return on 137 returns with three returns for touchdown and 21.4 yards per kickoff return on 80 returns. This past season he earned the CFL’s Most Outstanding Special Teams Player honor as well as being named a conference and CFL All-Star. In 2008, he led the CFL in punt return yardage (572) after beginning the season on Montreal’s practice squad. In his senior season at Connecticut in 2007, Taylor caught 25 passes for 259 yards, had 31 punt returns for 357 yards and two touchdowns and had 11 kickoff returns for 205 yards.

[URL]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/3551-four-sign-reserve-future-contracts[/URL]

i never heard of him

He was someone who was liked quite a bit on the draft board as a mid-late round LB last year. Mainly because of a very good size/speed ratio, but a solid all around player. Didn't get drafted though, went to the 49ers, got arrested for DUI/Pot Possession (Was reportedly suspended for Pot in college as well). Ended up playing in the UFL last year, guess the Jets saw something they liked there and are hoping he'll mature at some point.

If he stays out of trouble, I'd like his chances of making the team as a backup ILB.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-28-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=citjetsfan;3539689]i never heard of him[/QUOTE]

found this from a while back:

[url]http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1277[/url]

I think we can find someone better than Ezra.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=B-HOW;3539697]better than Ezra.[/QUOTE]

Hey now.;)

All League
    Rex has a history of working with undrafted LBs and having success.

Two guys that come to mind of the top of my head from Baltimore are Bart Scott and James Harrison (not sure but think Adalius Thomas was undrafted as well). Harrison got his first chance in the NFL with the Ravens but eventually got released and signed with Pittsburgh and was DPOY in 2008. Bart Scott also got a chance with the Ravens and took full advantage of it and is a very good LBer as we all know.

Hopefully Rex can continue to make something out of these undrafted LBers. Another guy they are high on is Jamal Westerman who they picked up last year and shows signs of promise.

Jets Insider VIP
    what the f is the "Lombardi Trophy Watch List"???

[QUOTE=sg3;3539761]what the f is the "Lombardi Trophy Watch List"???[/QUOTE]

It's the list you get put on when you play football and people think you might be good so they want to watch you, so they put you on the list and then others watch you as well. If you do well enough while being watched you....:confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

cripes no....

Ezra Butler...a terrific athlete and average football player who smoked weed as part of his regular diet...he was brought up by his uncle- a famous jazz musician, and hung out in clubs as a teenager smoking tons of pot....

he was highly rated as a senior...came to college as a 285 pound DT then got down to 250lbs...went to the combine and told teams during interviews he smoked pot almost daily....went from potential mid round choice to undrafted....then, after denying all the reports about his incessant pot smoking, got busted for pot driving in his car...

I'll be shocked if he's still on the roster Aug 20....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3539780]cripes no....

Ezra Butler...a terrific athlete and average football player who smoked weed as part of his regular diet...he was brought up by his uncle- a famous jazz musician, and hung out in clubs as a teenager smoking tons of pot....

he was highly rated as a senior...came to college as a 285 pound DT then got down to 250lbs...went to the combine and told teams during interviews he smoked pot almost daily....went from potential mid round choice to undrafted....then, after denying all the reports about his incessant pot smoking, got busted for pot driving in his car...

I'll be shocked if he's still on the roster Aug 20....[/QUOTE]

Maybe Ellis needed a dude with weed connections??:P

Jets Insider VIP

I suppose that you are discounting REX's way with players. This player played in the UFL last year with no apparent problems. His play seemed to attract REX and the Jets. They might know something about defensive players . Rather then doom and gloom I'd prefer to give the player time to show what he has if anything. We have all to gain and nothing to lose. REX seems to do well with undrafted linebackers. Who knows? I believe that his dad was the musician, not his uncle.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-28-2010 at 01:10 PM.

Veteran

No comment on your post; but if you are making lots of $$ on Obamas' "stupidity", you must have made a FORTUNE off of George Bush....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3539785]I suppose that you are discounting REX's way with players. This player played in the UFL last year with no apparent problems. His play seemed to attract REX and the Jets. They might know something about defensive players . Rather then doom and gloom I'd prefer to give the player time to show what he has if anything. We have all to gain and nothing to lose. REX seems to do well with undrafted linebackers. Who knows? I believe that his dad was the musician, not his uncle.[/QUOTE]

maybe- but the guy's done nothing the past two seasons so no reason to get excited about him....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet Black;3539786]No comment on your post; but if you are making lots of $$ on Obamas' "stupidity", you must have made a FORTUNE off of George Bush....[/QUOTE]

:bwahaha:

I can't imagine anyone here could possibly have a problem with this signing. He cost us NOTHING and he has the size and speed to potentially become a very cheap LB for us....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3539790]I can't imagine anyone here could possibly have a problem with this signing. He cost us NOTHING and he has the size and speed to potentially become a very cheap LB for us....[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you MJ. Seems that some need to hear themselves talk. LOL They are doom and gloomers just for the sake of being that way. Rather then hoping that BUTLER straightens out his life and capitalizes on his talent, they need to be pundits for their own enlightenment. Such is life! LOL GO JETS!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3539794]I do agree with you MJ. Seems that some need to hear themselves talk. LOL They are doom and gloomers just for the sake of being that way. Rather then hoping that BUTLER straightens out his life and capitalizes on his talent, they need to be pundits for their own enlightenment. Such is life! LOL GO JETS![/QUOTE]

compared to those who do backflips because the Jets made moves in the last week of March and signed a player(s) they (posters) have absolutely no clue about?? reality can be a b!tch...

btw- if you have any original opinions on butler as a player (skills, pass coverage ability, run defense skills) versus some 2:30 minute youtube video, LMFAO, please post them...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.