Thread: Need a Christopher Moore Book Rec.

Need a Christopher Moore Book Rec.

Thanks to the fine members here I picked up a copy of Lamb and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's my first Christopher Moore read.

What should be my next?

(after ordering, Amazon is recommending this (not Moore) and although the title is somewhat intriguing, I have doubts...)

[IMG]https://www.horror-mall.com/images/P/ramp_lg.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 03-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3539704]Thanks to the fine members here I picked up a copy of Lamb and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's my first Christopher Moore read.

What should be my next?[/QUOTE]

The building of a cheating , rotten scumbag football team....

written by Bill Billicek

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3539709]The building of a cheating , rotten scumbag football team....

written by Bill Billicek[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have read this. Great read bwt.

[IMG]http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/bestsellers-2006/3885-1.jpg[/IMG]

Of course, the book about Rex Ryan is a classic, but a long read indeed.

[IMG]http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/95/118095-004-E9D5AC09.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3539704]Thanks to the fine members here I picked up a copy of Lamb and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's my first Christopher Moore read.

What should be my next?

(after ordering, Amazon is recommending this (not Moore) and although the title is somewhat intriguing, I have doubts...)

[IMG]https://www.horror-mall.com/images/P/ramp_lg.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I am 2/3rds through Lamb, will probably pick up A Dirty Job next. Read the first few pages, looks like it could be pretty entertaining.

Lamb was great and got me hooked on Christopher Moore.

Since then, I've read Fluke, A Dirty Job, Blood Sucking Fiends, and You Suck. I'd rank them as followed:

Lamb
    A Dirty Job
    Fluke
    Blood Sucking Fiends
    You Suck

Gunna pick up Fool when I finish my current reads. I'll have plenty of time to catch up on my reading on the commute into the city when my job starts next week.
    Last edited by Crease29; 03-28-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3539704](after ordering, Amazon is recommending this (not Moore) and although the title is somewhat intriguing, I have doubts...)
    [/QUOTE]

Somewhat?

THAT book is going with my "collection" on my desk at work...right next to The Zombie Survival Guide and Heidi...:P

Jets Insider VIP
    I've read all of his books and they're all great. After reading "Lamb," I'd recommend "Practical Demonkeeping" (his first). A part of "Lamb" ties into it nicely.

Stokes, stick to this advice too. Read "A Dirty Job" after you've read "Bloodsucking Fiends" and "You Suck," in that order. The overlapping characters will make more sense.

If you're familiar with King Lear, "Fool" is fantastic.

[QUOTE=Jets Things;3539758]I've read all of his books and they're all great. After reading "Lamb," I'd recommend "Practical Demonkeeping" (his first). A part of "Lamb" ties into it nicely.

Stokes, stick to this advice too. Read "A Dirty Job" after you've read "Bloodsucking Fiends" and "You Suck," in that order. The overlapping characters will make more sense.

If you're familiar with King Lear, "Fool" is fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input guys. JT, How did you like The Stupidest Angel? I was thinking of that one next.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3539870]Thanks for the input guys. JT, How did you like The Stupidest Angel? I was thinking of that one next.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, they're all great. Read that one at Christmas, though. Lots of holiday cheer.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3539729]Somewhat?

THAT book is going with my "collection" on my desk at work...right next to The Zombie Survival Guide and Heidi...:P[/QUOTE]

Have you read it, or like me, do you just like the title?

Banned
    Christopher Moore is good, however I've found his latest writings mocking the vampire fantasy trend in literature to be less adventurous and it feels to me like he's calling it in for a check.

If you're into humorists I recommend Peter De Vries if you've never read him
    [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_De_Vries"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_De_Vries[/URL]

If you're into absurdist satire I recommend Flann O'Brien (real name Brien O'Nolan) he's more challenging than Moore but worth it, a student of the Joyce school of modernism and a fan of whiskey, it makes for some great reads I enjoyed -[U]At Swim Two Birds[/U], [U]A Poor Mouth[/U], and [U]The Third Policeman[/U]. That said I've heard [U]The Dalkey Archive[/U] is also a good read, a postmodern publishing house is named after the book.

Just thought you might like the reading suggestions if you're a fan of Moore.

[QUOTE=operaguy;3539957]Christopher Moore is good, however I've found his latest writings mocking the vampire fantasy trend in literature to be less adventurous and it feels to me like he's calling it in for a check.

If you're into humorists I recommend Peter De Vries if you've never read him
    [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_De_Vries"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_De_Vries[/URL]

If you're into absurdist satire I recommend Flann O'Brien (real name Brien O'Nolan) he's more challenging than Moore but worth it, a student of the Joyce school of modernism and a fan of whiskey, it makes for some great reads I enjoyed -[U]At Swim Two Birds[/U], [U]A Poor Mouth[/U], and [U]The Third Policeman[/U]. That said I've heard [U]The Dalkey Archive[/U] is also a good read, a postmodern publishing house is named after the book.

Just thought you might like the reading suggestions if you're a fan of Moore.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Always interested in a rec on a good read. Appreciate the post.
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 03-28-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3539959]Thanks! Always interested in a rec on a good read. Appreciate the post.[/QUOTE]

Anytime, glad to share opinions on reading. I wasn't allowed to watch television except for sports as a child and have always read a lot (don't mean to sound arrogant I don't judge).

I just realized both my recommendations are somewhat dated (Mid 20th century), if you're looking for more contemporary lit I'd suggest Pynchon's latest book "Inherant Vice" it got Sh*tcanned by a lot of critics but if you don't treat it as seriously as the rest of his work there is still a lot to be taken from it. I've always liked Pynchon because you'll think he'd going on some philo-poetic tangent and then out of nowhere that very construct is mocked. His magnum opus being, Gravity's Rainbow: a book about a man who can track where V2 bombs are going to land based on his erections, at the same time being an in-depth look at WW2 England.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;3539758]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Someone just gave me The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, will circle back to Bloodsucking Fiends afterward.

Hall Of Fame
    Btw, finished Lamb. Pretty funny read--very good, but a tale of 2 books.

The first 3/4s of the book was great, funny, irreverant. Moore has fantastic sarcastic wit. Biff was a total ball-buster and some of the historic references were hillarious.

But the last 1/4 of the book, basically leading up to and the Passion, was pretty sobering. Still funny, but I think he treated it with an appropriate amount of reverance. I was concerned as to how he was going to pull it off and not be too disrespectful to...well...the crucifiction. (Btw--I was raised Roman Catholic and am God fearing but I'm not particularly religious).

I liked the first 3/4s, but I loved the ending. :yes: Re-read the last segment twice.

Started Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but am struggling at the outset.

Might pick up Bloodsucking Fiends soon if Tattoo doesn't take off in the next 30-40 pages.

Gave Lamb to the GF, and I'd definitely recommend it to friends.

[QUOTE=JStokes;3563251]Btw, finished Lamb. Pretty funny read--very good, but a tale of 2 books.

The first 3/4s of the book was great, funny, irreverant. Moore has fantastic sarcastic wit. Biff was a total ball-buster and some of the historic references were hillarious.

But the last 1/4 of the book, basically leading up to and the Passion, was pretty sobering. Still funny, but I think he treated it with an appropriate amount of reverance. I was concerned as to how he was going to pull it off and not be too disrespectful to...well...the crucifiction. (Btw--I was raised Roman Catholic and am God fearing but I'm not particularly religious).

I liked the first 3/4s, but I loved the ending. :yes: Re-read the last segment twice.

Started Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but am struggling at the outset.

Might pick up Bloodsucking Fiends soon if Tattoo doesn't take off in the next 30-40 pages.

Gave Lamb to the GF, and I'd definitely recommend it to friends.[/QUOTE]

Glad you enjoyed Lamb. I feel that it spoiled Christopher Moore for me a little bit because it was my first Moore book and it remains his best, IMO. I started Fool this week, which should be fun because I recently re-read King Lear.

Oh and I picked up Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut last week on a recommendation, not being familiar with any of his stuff despite being an alum at Cornell. I finished it in two days. Fantastic book.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3539966]Anytime, glad to share opinions on reading. I wasn't allowed to watch television except for sports as a child and have always read a lot (don't mean to sound arrogant I don't judge).

I just realized both my recommendations are somewhat dated (Mid 20th century), if you're looking for more contemporary lit I'd suggest Pynchon's latest book "Inherant Vice" it got Sh*tcanned by a lot of critics but if you don't treat it as seriously as the rest of his work there is still a lot to be taken from it. I've always liked Pynchon because you'll think he'd going on some philo-poetic tangent and then out of nowhere that very construct is mocked. His magnum opus being, Gravity's Rainbow: a book about a man who can track where V2 bombs are going to land based on his erections, at the same time being an in-depth look at WW2 England.[/QUOTE]

Who or what are you?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3563425]Glad you enjoyed Lamb. I feel that it spoiled Christopher Moore for me a little bit because it was my first Moore book and it remains his best, IMO. I started Fool this week, which should be fun because I recently re-read King Lear.

Oh and I picked up Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut last week on a recommendation, not being familiar with any of his stuff despite being an alum at Cornell. I finished it in two days. Fantastic book.[/QUOTE]

Bought Bloodsucking Fiends today.

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has one more night to inspire me.