Thread: Fish's Sci-Fi Movie Reviews

Fish's Sci-Fi Movie Reviews

Saw two sci-fi flicks this weekend, one on DVD, one in the theatre:

[B][U]Gamer (DVD):[/U][/B] Dexter as crazy mind-control dude vs. The Badass KIng from 300 as "Player 1". This movie, about a future where people are "driven" by players in a big ass reallife version of MMO's.......sucked. Truly horrible. Not even worth DVD viewing, despite a talented cast (really, alot of talent for such a horrid flick). Go see any random Jason Statham flick (post-Snatch) if you want to see a flick like this, Statham at least makes these kinds of frenetic-pointlessness flicks interesting. Graded an F for FRANTIC....and uber failure in all aspects. Shame, I like Gerard Butler and the Dexter dude quite a bit usually.

[B][U]Repo Men (Theatre):[/U][/B] One of the best Phillip K. Dick Stores that Phillip K. Dick didn't actually write. Good acting, enjoyable action, great core idea and storyline (if a bit generic in many aspects of the plot), and almost all the fun little mind****s and dystopian cool one would expect from a PKD-style sci-fi story. Jude Law is quite good, some good action. Overall a solid genre flick along the lines of a more active/less cerebral "Blade Runner". Solid B+ for sci-fi fans, a decent C+ for everyone else. If you like Phillip K. Dick style dystopian sci-fi, I think you'll really like this.

Fish, what did you think of the ending of repomen?

Got some pretty mixed reviews, considering seeing it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItZ-qr9jG8[/url]

:thumbup:

Banned
    Gamer had an interesting premise and some clever social commentary but overall I wasn't too pleased with the flick. Haven't seen Repo Men yet.

[QUOTE=Johnny Drama;3540001]Fish, what did you think of the ending of repomen?

Got some pretty mixed reviews, considering seeing it.[/QUOTE]

Don't want to give too much away, since you and others may want to still see it, but I liked it. It fit with the themes and the PKD'ness of the film and ideas perfectly. But with that said, for a general audience I can see where it could definitely get "mixed reviews". Can't really say more without ruining it.

Let me add this (after reading the absolute crushing this movie took by most critics at Rotten Tomatoes, where it got a terribad 27% approval rating).....not every movie has to be a deep moving introspection on the slow burning raltionaship between a houswife fighting for equallity and her ad man husband in abusing 1950's America, or a ****ing deeply insightful parable about the plight of healthcare in America circa 2010.

/shrug, I don't think I will ever understand Movie Critics, and what they want.
    Last edited by Warfish; 03-28-2010 at 08:01 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3540042]
    Let me add this (after reading the absolute crushing this movie took by most critics at Rotten Tomatoes, where it got a terribad 27% approval rating).....not every movie has to be a deep moving introspection on the slow burning raltionaship between a houswife fighting for equallity and her ad man husband in abusing 1950's America, or a ****ing deeply insightful parable about the plight of healthcare in America circa 2010.

/shrug, [B]I don't think I will ever understand Movie Critics, and what they want[/B].[/QUOTE]

Here in my local (garbage fish wrap) newspaper, we have a movie critic that pans EVERYTHING remotely interesting, fun, action or Sci-fi related.

But if its a foreign language film described as a "Heartwarming tale of a Dutch Orthodox-Jewish crossdressing cowboy and his journey to a lesbian wedding in Minsk", its [B]"5 out of 5 stars! I laughed, I cried, I schvitzed a bit!!"[/B]

I stopped listening or caring about movie critics when I was 8 years old and saw the local TV critic pan "Star Wars" and suggested "The Rescuers" as a better alternative....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3539991]

[B][U]Repo Men (Theatre):[/U][/B] One of the best Phillip K. Dick Stores that Phillip K. Dick didn't actually write. Good acting, enjoyable action, great core idea and storyline (if a bit generic in many aspects of the plot), and almost all the fun little mind****s and dystopian cool one would expect from a PKD-style sci-fi story. Jude Law is quite good, some good action. Overall a solid genre flick along the lines of a more active/less cerebral "Blade Runner". Solid B+ for sci-fi fans, a decent C+ for everyone else. If you like Phillip K. Dick style dystopian sci-fi, I think you'll really like this.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you post this a little sooner? :D

Really wanted to see this flick, looked very interesting and Jude Law looks great in the part.

Read such crap about it I had all but dismissed it.

I will now put it back on the list.

Trusting you on this one. :yes:

[SIZE="1"]
    Have to admit, I'm a sucker for these type movies, I'll probably love it. [/SIZE]