Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Battle - Anthony Davis vs. Mike Iupati.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Prospect Battle - Anthony Davis vs. Mike Iupati.

What say you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different positions. Davis will be drafted higher because of the demand for Left Tackles in this league. He will play ten years in this league may see a Pro Bowl or two, definetly be drafted in the top 15.
    Iupati can play either guard position and possibly Right Tackle. He is an interesting player for the Jets because he could replace Faneca at LG or Woody at RT, thus continuing the dominance of the Jets offensive line. Once again, 10 year player, several Pro bowls, Iupati will be drafted Late teens ,early 20's. If he slips to 29, the Jets have an interesting choice.
    Ground & Pound, with your Offensive Line Coach , Callahan, also your Asst. Head Coach, the Jets could invest in their offensive line. That would probably mean that it is Faneca's last year , freeing up 8million in cap, and puts into question Slausons immediate future

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Davis is already the best pass protector in college football IMO, better than Okung and Bulaga on tape, has the best upside of any lineman, and probably will only get better. As a run blocker, he has a lot of technique work to do since he's almost always too high in his stance, despite being brilliant on pulling... he's inferior to the other top OTs Okung, Bulaga and Williams in that aspect despite being put together better than any of them physically. He's got Marcus McNeill/Orlando Pace type of All-Pro upside. But upside is an ugly word, as the big knock about him is if he can stay motivated enough and work hard after he gets his big contract...
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 03-29-2010 at 08:01 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    Davis is already the best pass protector in college football IMO, better than Okung and Bulaga on tape, has the best upside of any lineman, and probably will only get better. As a run blocker, he has a lot of technique work to do since he's almost always too high in his stance, despite being brilliant on pulling... he's inferior to the other top OTs Okung, Bulaga and Williams in that aspect despite being put together better than any of them physically. He's got Marcus McNeill/Orlando Pace type of All-Pro upside. But upside is an ugly word, as the big knock about him is if he can stay motivated enough and work hard after he gets his big contract...
    nice post,truth

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in NJ and follow Rutgers....this guy was a great recruit and definitely has a ton of "potential" but never once at Rugers did he ever dominate, which is what you would expect from a guy with his level of talent.

At a position like offensive line, attitude is almost as important as talent. Ipuati has a mean streak, plays aggressively, AND has talent.

I really dont want anything to do with Davis and his poor attitude....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Jets, I would take Iupati absolutely. Iupati can play either Guard position or Right Tackle. The Jets are set at Left Tackle and Center. Iupati can take over for Faneca, Woody, or Moore. He has much more value to the Jets. That being said Davis I believe will be drafted before Iupati.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I live in NJ and follow Rutgers....this guy was a great recruit and definitely has a ton of "potential" but never once at Rugers did he ever dominate, which is what you would expect from a guy with his level of talent.

At a position like offensive line, attitude is almost as important as talent. Ipuati has a mean streak, plays aggressively, AND has talent.

I really dont want anything to do with Davis and his poor attitude....
    I've seen almost every single one of his games, he is constantly dominating his opposing pass rushers. The guy swats them down like flies, and does an excellent job shuffling his feet to mirror opponents. Teams had to scheme around him (overload blitzing, A gap stunts, etc) in order to generate a pass rush. He dominated top flight pass rushers like Pierre-Paul, Selvie, Romeus and only gave up one sack all season.

I also question his desire, but personnel men out there did the same with Oher last season. With the right coaching staff, Davis will be a Pro Bowler. With the wrong one, he'll be the next Kwame Harris.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Davis is lazy and a classic under-achiever... he has the frame, and skillset to dominate, but never did in college. He never paved the way in college the way us fans expected and Rutgers' running game was exposed after Ray Rice/Brian Leonard left.

On the upside, I think he's more naturally talent than Brick...
    but the problem is he never scratched that potential, gave no indications he even wants it and doesn't have the work ethic to make it happen.

All of this was pretty evident when you look at his combine #'s which were below average in almost every regard.

Lazy and 1st round money are a bad, bad combo.
    I'd be nervous selecting him in round 1 that's for sure...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also question his desire, but personnel men out there did the same with Oher last season. With the right coaching staff, Davis will be a Pro Bowler. With the wrong one, he'll be the next Kwame Harris.
    Oher had an awesome senior bowl, combine, and pro day. He worked hard every step of the way.

Davis had a bad combine, skipped pro day... no one really knows where his head is at.

Davis is extremely talented but also lazy. Also there were documented weight problems when he showed up to Rutgers over 360.

i dont see how they are comparable.

Iupati is an awesome left guard in terms of raw ability with tons of technique to learn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Oher had an awesome senior bowl, combine, and pro day. He worked hard every step of the way.

Davis had a bad combine, skipped pro day... no one really knows where his head is at.

Davis is extremely talented but also lazy. Also there were documented weight problems when he showed up to Rutgers over 360.

Iupati is an awesome left guard in terms of raw ability with tons of technique to learn.
    +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

Exactlty....one of these guys is already a great player ON the field, with upside in technique. The other has the skills but not the desire or real prodcution.

Id still prefer Pouncey over both of them....more versatility and better for the zone blocking type line that we have.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iupati sucks plain and simple (My Opinion) I watched the senior bowl and he got beat and or held on almost every play. I can't believe he is rated a first rounder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Though call.

I like Davis more simply because he has the ability to play LT, which makes him more valuable. He's a bigger risk than Iupati though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanJim View Post
    For the Jets, I would take Iupati absolutely. Iupati can play either Guard position or Right Tackle. The Jets are set at Left Tackle and Center. Iupati can take over for Faneca, Woody, or Moore. He has much more value to the Jets. That being said Davis I believe will be drafted before Iupati.

Although I am not concerned about DBrick and Mangolds future with the team, I wouldnt want to throw around the words "set at LT and C" They have one more year on the contract and will need to be resigned.

I would have a hard time choosing Iupati if I was in the Jets front office. He provides long term value, but little to no immediate impact if the OL is healthy. Hard to pass up yet I would prefer someone with more of an immediate impact.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iupati is the better player but Davis plays the more valuable position. Probably neither one falls to us. Davis is a jackass who underachieved at Rutgers. Wouldn't be shocked to see him wear silver and black next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO...

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Iupati is the better player but Davis plays the more valuable position. Probably neither one falls to us. Davis is a jackass who underachieved at Rutgers. Wouldn't be shocked to see him wear silver and black next year.
    not even close....Davis is a superior pass protector and as good if not better blocking in motion....were it not for his sh!t work ethic Davis goes in the top ten, maybe top 8.....Iupati is solid but he's top 15 pick on a good day for the simple reason he's not as good as Davis......

and since you're so enamored with terrence cody based on the fact he was an all conference player, how exactly did a 3x all conference/all American like Davis "underachieve" in college???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    LMAO...

not even close....Davis is a superior pass protector and as good if not better blocking in motion....were it not for his sh!t work ethic Davis goes in the top ten, maybe top 8.....Iupati is solid but he's top 15 pick on a good day for the simple reason he's not as good as Davis......

and since you're so enamored with terrence cody based on the fact he was an all conference player, how exactly did a 3x all conference/all American like Davis "underachieve" in college???
    I admittedly discount Davis quite a bit for his character concerns, but would I be nutty to take Pouncey over Iupati?

First of all, Pouncey plays C...more valuable position..with experience at G. Then there's the level of competition thing...with Pouncey facing off, and doing well, against the likes of Cody, Williams, Sheppard, Woods, Atkins, Owens, Weston, Dareus, etc.

Kind of just want to make sure I'm not being mad homer-ish here. IIRC, you said Iupati didn't exactly "wow" at the SR. Bowl.

P.S. I'm betting Mike plays himself into the 1st this year. I, at least, haven't forgot what he did to Glenn Dorsey his FR. year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I admittedly discount Davis quite a bit for his character concerns, but would I be nutty to take Pouncey over Iupati?

First of all, Pouncey plays C...more valuable position..with experience at G. Then there's the level of competition thing...with Pouncey facing off, and doing well, against the likes of Cody, Williams, Sheppard, Woods, Atkins, Owens, Weston, Dareus, etc.

Kind of just want to make sure I'm not being mad homer-ish here. IIRC, you said Iupati didn't exactly "wow" at the SR. Bowl.

P.S. I'm betting Mike plays himself into the 1st this year. I, at least, haven't forgot what he did to Glenn Dorsey his FR. year.
    it dependes on what your priorities are and I love Pouncey- think he's incredibly underrated but:

1- there are character issues (he and his bro like to party a bit much)...

2- Iupati does have potential at tackle down the road, Pouncey does not and probably offers more upside in general...

I also would agree about discounting or being concerned about Davis on character issues....it was well known he was taking money from one agent for three years....he then signed with a different agent....sleezy on a number of levels...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it dependes on what your priorities are and I love Pouncey- think he's incredibly underrated but:

1- there are character issues (he and his bro like to party a bit much)...

2- Iupati does have potential at tackle down the road, Pouncey does not and probably offers more upside in general...

I also would agree about discounting or being concerned about Davis on character issues....it was well known he was taking money from one agent for three years....he then signed with a different agent....sleezy on a number of levels...
    I heard about #1, a bunch of dumbass JR's for UF who were more concerned with the NFL $$$ were out partying days before the SEC Championship game...allegedly.

If he has LT potential, why wasn't he playing there for the University of freaking Idaho? Barring them having another legit pro-prospect there or some other good reason, I don't buy it.
    Last edited by gangGREENinsider; 03-30-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO...

Davis is a lazy underachiever. Yeah, great job dominating mediocre and below mediocre competition in the Big East. Cody was 2X All-American playing in the best division in college football the SEC. Big difference in competition. I think Davis is a good prospect but he has significant character concerns - wow what a controversial statement.

It's funny that you try to contradict me in your post then say the guy has sh*t work ethic. You sound like a desperate loser which you are.