Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: JI 2010 Mock Draft rules and discussion...

Well, I'm done

You guys can evaluate now.

1 27 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Maurkice Pouncey - C/G - Florida
    2 59 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Nate Allen - S - South Florida
    3 90 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Mardy Gilyard - WR- Cincinnati
    4 125 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Austen Lane - 3-4 OLB - Murray State
    6 196 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Leigh Tiffin - K - Alabama
    7 234 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Kevin Haslam - T/G - Rutgers

1 28 San Diego Chargers Venom - Ryan Matthews - RB - Fresno State
    2 40 San Diego Chargers Venom - Cam Thomas - 3-4 NT - North Carolina
    3 91 San Diego Chargers Venom - Alex Carrington - 3-4 DE - Arkansas State
    4 126 San Diego Chargers Venom - Brandon Lang - 3-4 OLB - Troy
    5 159 San Diego Chargers Venom - Trevard Lindley - CB - Kentucky
    5 168 San Diego Chargers Venom - James Starks - RB - Buffalo
    7 235 San Diego Chargers Venom - Freddie Barnes - WR - Bowling Green

I think Pouncey is a strange pick for the Cowboys in retrospect.

They need a LT, if Free doesn't work out, they wasted an entire season and that just isn't Jerry Jones' style.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Well, I'm done

You guys can evaluate now.

1 27 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Maurkice Pouncey - C/G - Florida
    2 59 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Nate Allen - S - South Florida
    3 90 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Mardy Gilyard - WR- Cincinnati
    4 125 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Austen Lane - 3-4 OLB - Murray State
    6 196 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Leigh Tiffin - K - Alabama
    7 234 Dallas Cowboys Venom - Kevin Haslam - T/G - Rutgers

1 28 San Diego Chargers Venom - Ryan Matthews - RB - Fresno State
    2 40 San Diego Chargers Venom - Cam Thomas - 3-4 NT - North Carolina
    3 91 San Diego Chargers Venom - Alex Carrington - 3-4 DE - Arkansas State
    4 126 San Diego Chargers Venom - Brandon Lang - 3-4 OLB - Troy
    5 159 San Diego Chargers Venom - Trevard Lindley - CB - Kentucky
    5 168 San Diego Chargers Venom - James Starks - RB - Buffalo
    7 235 San Diego Chargers Venom - Freddie Barnes - WR - Bowling Green
    I like SD's draft quite a bit. I think i would have balked on Matthews but the overall results are promising for the Chargers.

I don't know if DAL would take Gilyard, or any WR that high. I mean you never know, sometimes the talent available dictates your pick. But Kevin Ogletree really came on late last year, and at this point politics may the only reason Roy Williams will start ahead of him. So they team already knows the have the next guy waiting in the wings
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    I think Pouncey is a strange pick for the Cowboys in retrospect.

They need a LT, if Free doesn't work out, they wasted an entire season and that just isn't Jerry Jones' style.
    From what I recall, we were in the 3rd round by the time Flozell Adams was released....and at that point, well, there was no LT who was going to be able to step in and start anyways. Perhaps if I knew that beforehand, I would have placed a greater emphasis on LT, but obviously I didn't. My concern then became finding someone who can replace Free as a backup and I think I did that with Haslam, who I really like, but think he got overshadowed because of Anthony Davis in Rutgers.

Plus, I really like Doug Free and think he can step into that role anyways. His skill-set fits that position well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I like SD's draft quite a bit. I think i would have balked on Matthews but the overall results are promising for the Chargers.

I don't know if DAL would take Gilyard, or any WR that high. I mean you never know, sometimes the talent available dictates your pick. But Kevin Ogletree really came on late last year, and at this point politics may the only reason Roy Williams will start ahead of him. So they team already knows the have the next guy waiting in the wings
    JMO
    Kevin Ogletree's "coming on late last year" was to the extent of 7 catches for the season (and 1 in the postseason), and 4 catches in the last 5 games (Including postseason). I like him as a developmental type, but he's not seriously threatening Roy Williams for the starting job next year. Lets be real.

But anyways, I believe that it's only a matter of time until Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton are on their way out in Dallas, and most good offenses have 3 good targets at WR anyways. So I could envision a scenario where Miles Austin, Mardy Gilyard, and Kevin Ogletree become a dynamic 1-2-3 WR core for Tony Romo to grow with. I don't think having Gilyard would in any way stunt Ogletree's development, or vice versa. That's a WR core that could potentially challenge a Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon down the line
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-08-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Anyone drafting a Rutgers player is a champ in my book.

Haslam is a damned good player.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 04-08-2010 at 03:19 PM.

All Pro
    Kevin Ogletree's "coming on late last year" was to the extent of 7 catches for the season (and 1 in the postseason), and 4 catches in the last 5 games (Including postseason). I like him as a developmental type, but he's not seriously threatening Roy Williams for the starting job next year. Lets be real.

But anyways, I believe that it's only a matter of time until Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton are on their way out in Dallas, and most good offenses have 3 good targets at WR anyways. So I could envision a scenario where Miles Austin, Mardy Gilyard, and Kevin Ogletree become a dynamic 1-2-3 WR core for Tony Romo to grow with. I don't think having Gilyard would in any way stunt Ogletree's development, or vice versa. That's a WR core that could potentially challenge a Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon down the line
    Don't throw stats at me. If there's one area in this godforsaken sport that i know what i'm talking about, its WRs. I'm not gonna say that i can predict who'll make the college-pro transition everytime, but once they're drafted and in camp, i'm tapped in. I'm telling you, Ogletree is in good with the coaching staff. I didn't say he would surpass Williams, all i said was that he's waiting in the wings and he looks the part.

I agree with you though, that Williams and Crayton are near expiration and that might give weight to taking a Gilyard, especially in the 3rd.

Todd Archer believes Kevin Ogletree will have to "clearly outplay" Roy Williams to earn a starting job.
    We're not even sure that will do the trick. Williams' obscene contract makes it a veritable lock that he will enter the 2010 season as the starter. If he continues to under-perform, though, we could see a change during the season, and take note: Jerry Jones reportedly "loves" Ogletree.
    WR Kevin Ogletree "ought to be ready to challenge" Roy Williams for a starting job with a good offseason.All of the writers covering the team, as well as a good portion of the fans, are pushing for Ogletree to overtake Williams. The coaches (and certainly ownership) aren't ready to give up on Williams, however. Ogletree may begin eating into Williams' snaps next season, but he's a longshot to take the job outright.
    The San Antonio Express-News believes Roy Williams is "stopping the progress of undrafted rookie Kevin Ogletree."

The Dallas Morning News makes a similar argument, that Ogletree would have surpassed Williams by the playoffs had the Cowboys worked him into the offense earlier in the season. Ogletree is certainly a name to track in Dynasty leagues, but he's a longshot to take Williams' starting job before the start of the 2010 season.

Tim McMahon, of ESPNDallas.com, reports Dallas Cowboys WR Kevin Ogletree could challenge for a starting wide receiver position if he has a good offseason. Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett will find ways to involve Ogletree next season if he does not start.

1 (013) - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    1 (017) - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
    2 (049) - Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech
    3 (079) - Carlton Mitchell, WR, South Florida
    4 (113) - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, IUP
    5 (145) - Junior Galette, OLB, Temple/Stillman
    6 (182) - Brandon Carter, G, Texas Tech
    6 (206) - Callahan Bright, NT, Shaw
    7 (224) - Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama

I was pretty happy with my draft. Most of my targeted players landed to me.

Rd 1 #13 - Anthony Davis... despite the questions about his work ethic, on film I've felt that he is clearly the best left tackle in this draft. Okung is right there with him (slightly lesser pass blocker, slightly better run blocker) but Davis' pass blocking skill is franchise quality.

Rd 1 #17 - Very difficult decision between Spiller, Brandon Graham and Dan Williams. If I were running the real draft, I'd even considering trading back up into the 1st for whomever was available a couple picks later. I wanted that dynamic playmaker that could take the offense to the next level, eventually succeed Gore, and fix the disgustingly bad return game.

Rd 2 - I personally have Morgan Burnett as the 2nd best safety after Eric Berry. He's every bit as great an instinctive playmaker as Earl Thomas, but tackles better. Also a phenomal athlete to boot.

Rd 3 - Carlton Mitchell running after the catch reminds me of Terrell Owens. Couldn't pass on him despite needing a pass rusher more.

Rd 4 - my top target in this spot was Eric Norwood but he went a few picks earlier... and I ended up deciding between Owusu-Ansah, Thurmond who went #123, Kevin Thomas #201 and Ford #120. Would have taken Thurmond if not for the extent of his knee injuries, because he's easily the best player of the four.

Rd 5 - I was hoping that Marshall Newhouse would fall to me here, but he got picked just before... considered Jarrett Brown and John Skelton (but drafting yet another not pro-ready QB won't fix the Alex Smith catastrophe); Trindon Holliday and Brandon Banks here (can never have too many return men)... I regretted not taking Holliday later on, because my second favorite pass rusher in the entire draft after Graham - Galette - probably would have lasted me until the late 6th if not 7th.

Rd 6 #182 - with Holliday, Banks AND AJ Jefferson now both off the board (doh!), I went for the cerebral Brandon Carter, who will eventually be able to compete with Rachal and Baas for a starting guard spot as well as potentially allow Baas to move to center eventually.

Rd 6 #206 - Callahan Bright... gotta love those late round boom or busts. Good thing is the boom with him = best defensive tackle in all of football lol. I had him targeted for his pick from day one, even if I had landed Dan Williams.

Rd 7 - I had Al Woods targeted for this pick since he somehow slipped through the cracks (he might go as high as the 2nd round), so I took the next guy on my list for BPA, Deaderick. He might actually end up a better pro than Woods due to being having better acceleration off the snap than Woods, and certainly was a more productive college player.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Don't throw stats at me. If there's one area in this godforsaken sport that i know what i'm talking about, its WRs. I'm not gonna say that i can predict who'll make the college-pro transition everytime, but once they're drafted and in camp, i'm tapped in. I'm telling you, Ogletree is in good with the coaching staff. I didn't say he would surpass Williams, all i said was that he's waiting in the wings and he looks the part.

I agree with you though, that Williams and Crayton are near expiration and that might give weight to taking a Gilyard, especially in the 3rd.
    I didn't disagree with you in that Ogletree can be a major contributor down the line (Although yes, I am skeptical about it being next year).

But my point was any high end offense nowadays has 3 WR's so there's room for both of them to shine in Dallas down the line (ie: Whenever they admit that the Roy Williams trade was a bust). Especially when you get great value on Gilyard in the 3rd round.

As I mentioned, I envision such a WR core as on par with a Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, and Pierre Garcon group from Indy or any other top WR core in the league today.

But my point was any high end offense nowadays has 3 WR's so there's room for both of them to shine in Dallas down the line (ie: Whenever they admit that the Roy Williams trade was a bust).
    I agree... that's why I drafted Mitchell despite already having two solid starters in Crabtree and Morgan as well as having two top notch receiving TEs in Davis and Walker.

All Pro
    someone please make a pick for Vader... it's been 2 hours.

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks for the pick Beerfish... was iffy on tonight but just got around

All League
    Sorry for the holdup, give me 10 minutes and my picks will be up and we can finish this thing off..

From what I recall, we were in the 3rd round by the time Flozell Adams was released....and at that point, well, there was no LT who was going to be able to step in and start anyways. Perhaps if I knew that beforehand, I would have placed a greater emphasis on LT, but obviously I didn't. My concern then became finding someone who can replace Free as a backup and I think I did that with Haslam, who I really like, but think he got overshadowed because of Anthony Davis in Rutgers.

Plus, I really like Doug Free and think he can step into that role anyways. His skill-set fits that position well.
    Yea, Free's going to be fine at LT for them. Haslam was a nice pick, he definitely was overshadowed by Davis. Rutgers is trying to be a school that produces good OL.

Gilyard was a good value in the 3rd, but they're loaded at WR. Ogletree was a guy I was really vocal about last year...he's one of those guys who couldn't stay healthy in college. Still, a good player is a good player, and Gilyard is a good player.

I didn't like Cam Thomas' value in the 2nd. He's a big dude and he showed up this offseason, but this offseason was pretty much his best "season" since HS. He was single blocked and beaten by that single block often. I just don't buy him as a prospect. After him everyone is a solid value.

Cardinals

(1) 26 - Everson Griffen
    (2) 58 - Jared Veldheer
    (3) 88 - Thaddeus Gibson
    (3) 89 - D'Anthony Smith
    (4) 123 - Walter Thurmond
    (6) 195 - Micah Johnson
    (7) 233 - Cameron Sheffield

They were easy to draft for because they have nothing at LB, and their front 3 is pretty deep with Dockett as the headliner. Got them Smith JIC. Grabbed them a DB to make sure there too. Griffen, Gibson, Johnson, and Sheffield add some really nice youth and athleticism to their LB corps.

Jets

(1) 29 - Terrence Cody
    (2) 61 - Dexter McCluster
    4 (124) - Kam Chancellor
    5 (155) - Lindsey Witten
    6 (198) - Zoltan Mesko
    7 (236) - Will Barker

Had fun with this draft because there's not really any must have need. Took Cody because his position (DL) needs the young talent, and because IMO he's a gift to Rex at 29. McCluster was like Cody, a pick I made because I could. He can return punts and mostly help out on special teams, but he's got some really nice long term upside imo. Chancellor is a top 100 player and Kendrick Lewis isn't, so I took him. Really like Lewis as a player/fit here too...Still, I'd like to hear thoughts on him and whether I maybe could have went a different route. Witten is the DE/OLB depth and another STs player (as is Chancellor). Mesko is also someone I'd like to hear an opinion on, same for Matt Dodge going a few picks before him. Barker was the solid OL from a good OL school guy.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-09-2010 at 01:06 AM.

"NYJCAP2: With the 244th pick the Eagles select:

Travis Goethel - LB - Arizona State"

You snake! That was going to be my next pick for the Pats.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    "NYJCAP2: With the 244th pick the Eagles select:

Travis Goethel - LB - Arizona State"

You snake! That was going to be my next pick for the Pats.
    Ha, I was browsing for a LB for a while before I found him. I remembered the MINN LB's who I liked, from this past year and always seemed around the ball, but not so much for 4-3 or ILB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Cardinals

(1) 26 - Everson Griffen
    (2) 58 - Jared Veldheer
    (3) 88 - Thaddeus Gibson
    (3) 89 - D'Anthony Smith
    (4) 123 - Walter Thurmond
    (6) 195 - Micah Johnson
    (7) 233 - Cameron Sheffield

They were easy to draft for because they have nothing at LB, and their front 3 is pretty deep with Dockett as the headliner. Got them Smith JIC. Grabbed them a DB to make sure there too. Griffen, Gibson, Johnson, and Sheffield add some really nice youth and athleticism to their LB corps.

Jets

(1) 29 - Terrence Cody
    (2) 61 - Dexter McCluster
    4 (124) - Kam Chancellor
    5 (155) - Lindsey Witten
    6 (198) - Zoltan Mesko
    7 (236) - Will Barker

Had fun with this draft because there's not really any must have need. Took Cody because his position (DL) needs the young talent, and because IMO he's a gift to Rex at 29. McCluster was like Cody, a pick I made because I could. He can return punts and mostly help out on special teams, but he's got some really nice long term upside imo. Chancellor is a top 100 player and Kendrick Lewis isn't, so I took him. Really like Lewis as a player/fit here too...Still, I'd like to hear thoughts on him and whether I maybe could have went a different route. Witten is the DE/OLB depth and another STs player (as is Chancellor). Mesko is also someone I'd like to hear an opinion on, same for Matt Dodge going a few picks before him. Barker was the solid OL from a good OL school guy.
    Can't say i'm crazy about the players ARZ got, but i see the logic in your picks, they're just not the guys I would have taken, and i'm sweet on the Cardinals.

As for the Jets..
    Cody is a guy that i'm leaving his evaluation up to our FO. If they buy into the big man, then sign me up. I'm worried about him though.
    I'm still flip-flopping on Dexter, he looks the part of a playmaker, but damn man. At what point does size become too much of a liability. He's one good lick away from being dead. I don't see how he fits into the Jets right now unless Leon is gone. Not that they're the same player, but the role they'd fill in our offense is too similar. Poor use of a 2nd pick to fill a need assuming Leon stays.(IMO)
    Like the Chancellor & Witten picks, good value and will contribute.
    Don't know enought about your late rnd picks to make educated assessments.

I like K. Lewis and i think he's still growing and becoming a football player. I have little doubt he'll be starter in the NFL. He looked too good in recent months.

Can't say i'm crazy about the players ARZ got, but i see the logic in your picks, they're just not the guys I would have taken, and i'm sweet on the Cardinals.
    Seriously? I loved that draft, except I wanted a better CB than Thurmond...I sat back on there because of the value I was getting at other positions of need for them. Veldheer's going to go in the 2nd on draft day...if not the first...teams have been eating up OL early in drafts and he's the next best T after the top tier guys.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-09-2010 at 11:39 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Seriously? I loved that draft, except I wanted a better CB than Thurmond...I sat back on there because of the value I was getting at other positions of need for them. Veldheer's going to go in the 2nd on draft day...if not the first...teams have been eating up OL early in drafts and he's the next best T after the top tier guys.
    Veldheer is one of the picks i liked the most, i'm just on the so-so side with Griffen. But like i said, i see the logic in the picks you made, if you're big on griffen, then he was an perfect value pick in the first.

what time zone do you live in?