Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: JI 2010 Mock Draft rules and discussion...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    East Coast.

I'm not a huge fan of Griffen either, but he's a first round DE with his measurables.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-09-2010 at 12:16 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Selected for doggin94it/Raiders... the Pro Day champion workout warrior of 2010:

Jameson Konz, TE/WR/FB/LB, Kent State
    Pro Day results

Dates: 03/11/10
    Height: 6035
    Weight: 234
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.38/4.41/4.46
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.51
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
    225 Lb. Bench Reps:
    Vertical Jump: 46
    Broad Jump: 10'08"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
    3-Cone Drill: 6.93

James Harrison, Antonio Gates, Joshua Cribbs ... Jameson Konz?

It’s a leap of faith to suppose Konz, a Lake High School graduate, can be the latest undrafted free agent out of Kent State to make it in the NFL.

On the other hand, unlike Harrison, Gates and Cribbs, Konz might actually be drafted.

Konz made 21 starts at linebacker for Kent State before moving to offense as a senior in 2008.

He suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the ’08 opener against Boston College. That bought him an extra year of eligibility.

Playing H-back and tight end in 2009, he caught 21 passes for 298 yards.

He needed way more than that to get the NFL’s attention. He delivered it at Kent State’s pro day.

ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. still was raving about Konz on Wednesday, calling Konz’s pro-day performance one of the best of the year.

“He’s a helluva an athlete,” Kiper said during a national conference call. “He had as good a workout as anybody at any position.”

According to NFL Draft Scout, Konz ran the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds, a sensational time for a prospect measured at 6-foot-3 5/8, 234 pounds.

His vertical jump was an off-the-charts 46 inches. He has bench pressed 225 pounds 27 times, better than some offensive linemen.

“Just about every team has come here or been calling since that workout,” Kent State Head Coach Doug Martin said Wednesday.

Konz looked like former Ohio State Buckeye A.J. Hawk, with flowing blond locks, before cutting his hair recently. Konz flew like a hawk with that vertical jump, a Michael Jordan-in-his-prime effort.

“He actually did it. I was there,” Kent State spokesman Alan Ashby said. “They had to re-set the apparatus because Jameson touched all the way over it the first time.”

Safety Eric Berry, projected as a possible Browns pick at No. 7 overall, had a 43-inch vertical jump at the NFL Combine. Tim Tebow, a rare athlete at quarterback, came in at 38 1/2.

The Patriots didn’t take that chance that former Kent State quarterback Julian Edelman would be available after the 2009 draft. They picked him in Round 7, converted him to wide receiver, and got immediate results. Someone might look at Konz — perhaps the Browns, the only team represented at his pro day — and say, “Let’s not take a gamble that we can sign this guy after the draft.”

Martin said Konz came out of Lake playing linebacker because Kent State was thin at the position. Martin thought Konz’s pro prospects could improve with the shift to offense, but the injury stalled his progress.

“I fully believe Jameson can play in the NFL,” Martin said. “It’s gonna come down to how well he catches the ball when he gets in a camp.

“At times, Jameson made some phenomenal catches for us. He has the ability.”

Konz was in Martin’s first recruiting class at Kent State.

“He did everything at Lake, returning punts, playing wide receiver, tight end, defense. He never came off the field,” Martin said. “His versatility was tremendous.”

Martin went on to address another area that appeals to Browns Head Coach Eric Mangini.

“The best thing about Jameson is his character,” Martin said. “He comes from one of best families we ever dealt with here. He wasn’t a vocal guy, but he was a great leader by example.

“And he’s intelligent. He is going to learn quickly.”
    http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x103...-for-NFL-Draft
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 04-09-2010 at 02:06 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ Re-he-he-heally.

oh, he's only 6'4 & 230. meh.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ^^ Re-he-he-heally.

oh, he's only 6'4 & 230. meh.
    From his pictures, he looks like he can easily put on weight without losing speed or explosion. I think this guy will be one of the best special teams coverage guys in the league, if he doesn't turn into anything as an offensive/defensive player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Cardinals

(1) 26 - Everson Griffen
    (2) 58 - Jared Veldheer
    (3) 88 - Thaddeus Gibson
    (3) 89 - D'Anthony Smith
    (4) 123 - Walter Thurmond
    (6) 195 - Micah Johnson
    (7) 233 - Cameron Sheffield

They were easy to draft for because they have nothing at LB, and their front 3 is pretty deep with Dockett as the headliner. Got them Smith JIC. Grabbed them a DB to make sure there too. Griffen, Gibson, Johnson, and Sheffield add some really nice youth and athleticism to their LB corps.
    Think you might've gone overkill on the linebackers, lol.

Perhaps it's simply because I'm not a big Matt Leinart fan, but I would have liked to see a QB at some point in the draft. Someone like Skelton would have made a great deal of sense for them, IMO. Also, while I have little doubt that Breaston and Doucet will be players at the WR position, I probably would have came back around and made sure I got a WR in the later rounds, especially with some of the values on the board.

You got some good values, but they have other needs then just LB and I would have liked to see you do a little more for them personally.

Jets

(1) 29 - Terrence Cody
    (2) 61 - Dexter McCluster
    4 (124) - Kam Chancellor
    5 (155) - Lindsey Witten
    6 (198) - Zoltan Mesko
    7 (236) - Will Barker

Had fun with this draft because there's not really any must have need. Took Cody because his position (DL) needs the young talent, and because IMO he's a gift to Rex at 29. McCluster was like Cody, a pick I made because I could. He can return punts and mostly help out on special teams, but he's got some really nice long term upside imo. Chancellor is a top 100 player and Kendrick Lewis isn't, so I took him. Really like Lewis as a player/fit here too...Still, I'd like to hear thoughts on him and whether I maybe could have went a different route. Witten is the DE/OLB depth and another STs player (as is Chancellor). Mesko is also someone I'd like to hear an opinion on, same for Matt Dodge going a few picks before him. Barker was the solid OL from a good OL school guy.
    You know my feelings on Cody already. My concerns are his effort now is because he sees millions of dollars on the line, and that once he gets paid he'll slack off on his conditioning again. Nevermind, the horrible measurements even at the improved weight is also a concern. I know we've already had this Cody vs Cam Thomas debate, but Thomas ran much faster, lifted more weights, ect. Sure, measurements isn't everything, but it illustrates the physical potential of Thomas compared to that of Cody, IMO. Still, yeah, I probably reached a bit on Thomas, but the NT position is the most important on on the 3-4 Defense, so I'm willing to pay a premium on the position. Obviously, I'd defer to Rex though if he took him, he's certainty had the chance to sit down and talk to the guy and I think he'd be able to gague what Cody's real motivations are.

I don't really see a fit for McCluster on this team as long as we have Leon, LT, and Greene. I know some people consider him a WR prospect, but I don't really. I see him as what he's always been, a scat-back that can catch a few balls, not a WR. Still, I like the player and I like the value. So I cant really ***** too much.

I like the rebound with Chancellor and Witten. Both solid picks and solid values. I see why you went that way with Mesko, although I have more concerns over Kicker then Punter (Probably didn't help that I stole Tiffin a couple picks before you )

Overall I have some reservations about the top 2 picks, but I think it could end up pretty decently. Solid draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    How'd the Rams and Broncos make out?

St. Louis Rams

(1) 1 / QB - Sam Bradford

(2) 33 / DT - Brian Price

(3) 65 / RB - Toby Gerhart

(4) 99 / TE - Dennis Pitta

(5) 132 / WR - Riley Cooper

(5) 163 / OLB - Roddrick Muckelroy

(6) 170 / S - Robert Johnson

(7) 208 / CB - David Pender

(7) 226 / DT - Earl Mitchell

(7) 254 / DE - Chris McCoy

Denver Broncos

(1) 11 / ILB - Rolando McClain

(2) 45 / WR - Arrelious Benn

(3) 80 / S - Darrell Stuckey

(4) 114 / C/OG - Eric Olsen

(6) 183 / OT - Derek Hardman

(7) 220 / DT - Al Woods

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love pretty much all the early picks for both teams. Although Gerhart seems like a bit of a luxury when they have Steven Jackson, it is a 2 back league now. But given their other needs, Im hard pressed to place that high a priority there on a #2 RB.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 04-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty satisfied with my Bucs mock, just wish I could have grabbed a safety i liked.

1(3) - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    2(35) - Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
    2(42) - Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
    3(67) - Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
    4 (101) - Ben Tate, RB, Auburn
    5(153) - Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU
    6(172) - AJ Edds, LB, Iowa
    7(210) - John Conner, FB, Kentucky
    7(217) - Shay Hodge, WR, Ole Miss
    7(232) - Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford
    7(253) - Josh Morris, CB, Weber State

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the last pick comes in I will be making one post with all teams and their picks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Pretty satisfied with my Bucs mock, just wish I could have grabbed a safety i liked.

This in my mind is a phenominal draft. Hardy is the only guy I'm slightly meh about but I just love most of those picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

No kidding, you cleaned up. Don't like the Hardy pick at all, but you can afford a risk like that in there. Tate is probably the most underrated pick there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This in my mind is a phenominal draft. Hardy is the only guy I'm slightly meh about but I just love most of those picks.
    Totally agree. Great job Woody

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the positive feedback. with greg hardy its a risk, but if he can revert back to the greg hardy of 07 and 08, you draft a top 10 pick in round 3.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone going to pick for Fuzzy?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great draft...I actually loved the Hardy pick. Easily my favorite candidate to be a better NFL player than college player. His football player problems in college were due to injury, but the guy is simply a better player than all the other pass rushers/DEs in this draft when he's healthy.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-09-2010 at 11:03 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to pick Spud Dick, QB, DePauw as Mr. Irrelevant for fuzzy if he doesn't show up tomorrow.

http://www.depauw.edu/acad/articles/?ID=24388
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 04-10-2010 at 02:07 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

It's now passed 9:00 am eastern standard time. I am in favor 49ersJetsfan or Beerfish to make the last pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just wish linebacker Lucious Pusey was in this year's draft class. Sadly, he went undrafted in 2007.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    J liked my Steelers draft alot, the Panthers hopefully Williams and Pike work out. I think Andre Dixon watching him these years is a steal for the 7th round, kid can run. Also Jason Worilds 3rd for the Steelers can be a steal.

Pittsburgh Steelers - (thechadzone10)

1 18 Iupati, Mike OG Idaho
    2 52 Dwyer, Jonathan RB Georgia Tech
    3 82 Worilds, Jason DE Virginia Tech
    4 116 Capers, Selvish OT West Virginia
    5 151 Williams, Kyle WR Arizona State
    5 164 Jackson, Brian CB Oklahoma
    5 166 Angerer, Pat ILB Iowa
    6 188 Harbour, Clay FB Missouri State
    7 225 Clapp, Matt FB Oklahoma
    7 242 Ricks, Jake DT Auburn

Carolina Panthers - (thechadzone10)

2 48 Williams, Damian WR Southern California
    3 78 Pike, Tony QB Cincinnati
    4 112 Hoomanawanui, Michael TE Illinois
    6 175 McClellan, Albert DE Marshall
    6 202 Riley, Perry OLB LSU
    6 204 McCarthy, Kyle S Notre Dame
    7 223 Webster, Aaron S Cincinnati
    7 249 Dixon, Andre RB UConn

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thechadzone10 View Post
    J liked my Steelers draft alot, the Panthers hopefully Williams and Pike work out. I think Andre Dixon watching him these years is a steal for the 7th round, kid can run. Also Jason Worilds 3rd for the Steelers can be a steal.

Pittsburgh Steelers - (thechadzone10)

1 18 Iupati, Mike OG Idaho
    2 52 Dwyer, Jonathan RB Georgia Tech
    3 82 Worilds, Jason DE Virginia Tech
    4 116 Capers, Selvish OT West Virginia
    5 151 Williams, Kyle WR Arizona State
    5 164 Jackson, Brian CB Oklahoma
    5 166 Angerer, Pat ILB Iowa
    6 188 Harbour, Clay FB Missouri State
    7 225 Clapp, Matt FB Oklahoma
    7 242 Ricks, Jake DT Auburn

Carolina Panthers - (thechadzone10)

2 48 Williams, Damian WR Southern California
    3 78 Pike, Tony QB Cincinnati
    4 112 Hoomanawanui, Michael TE Illinois
    6 175 McClellan, Albert DE Marshall
    6 202 Riley, Perry OLB LSU
    6 204 McCarthy, Kyle S Notre Dame
    7 223 Webster, Aaron S Cincinnati
    7 249 Dixon, Andre RB UConn
    Carolina did well considering they had no 1st rounder. I really like what you did with Pitt getting Iupati and Capers in the 1st 4 rounds should really help them. You kinda got screwed by one of the picks I made for you for Pitt. I think I drafted Matt Clapp from a pick list of yours and I didn't see you had taken Harbour the pick before. Is Harbour a hybrid FB/TE or do I have the wrong position for him?