Thread: Cimini breaks out the Crystal Ball for Draft Day

Jets Insider VIP

Smile Cimini breaks out the Crystal Ball for Draft Day

The Jet Stream
    by Rich Cimini
    March 29, 2010 10:24 AM 47 Comments
    Breaking out the crystal ball for draft day
    By Rich Cimini

Here we go again, the fourth annual Jet Stream draft watch. Over the next 24 days, right up until the April 22 draft, we will provide a periodic look at the players we deem most likely to be chosen by the Jets with the 29th pick. If history repeats, this initial list might not be such a shot in the dark.

Consider the Jet Stream's initial "watch" list in each of the previous three seasons:

2007 (25th pick) -- CB Aaron Ross, TE Greg Olsen, LB Anthony Spencer, LB Paul Posluszny and CB Darrelle Revis.

Outcome: The Jets trade up to 14 to select Revis.

2008 (6th pick) -- RB Darren McFadden, LB/DE Vernon Gholston and DE Chris Long.

Outcome: The Jets take Gholston at No. 6.

2009 (17th pick) -- WR Jeremy Maclin, DE Tyson Jackson and QB Josh Freeman.

Outcome: The Jets trade up to 5, picking QB Mark Sanchez. Okay, you can't win 'em all, but who could've imagined that Eric Mangini would give away the fifth pick for practically nothing?

Because they're picking so low, this year will be the toughest challenge yet. But here goes nothing:

1. DE Jared Odrick, Penn State (6-5, 304) -- The Jets have four returning defensive linemen with legit experience, and three (Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins and Sione Pouha) are at least 30. Jenkins is returning from major knee surgery, Ellis has a bad knee and UFA Marques Douglas is unlikely to re-sign, based on what Rex Ryan was saying last week. It's time for some fresh blood here. Odrick is valuable because he can play in multiple fronts. He's scheduled to visit the Jets on April 5 and 6.

2. S Taylor Mays, USC (6-3, 230) -- The Jets didn't break the bank for Brodney Pool (one year, $1.3 million), so it's not like they're handing him Kerry Rhodes' old starting job. Mays was a highly decorated college player and he reportedly ran in the 4.2s at the combine, but beware: Based on what some scouts are saying, he could be the Vernon Gholston of safeties -- off-the-charts measurables, but athletically stiff.

3. G Mike Iupati, Idaho (6-5, 331) -- Just a hunch based on value. It would be drafting to a strength, but we all know how much Ryan values his O-line.

4. WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State (6-2, 225) -- It's unlikely the Jets will take a receiver in the first round, but if the ultra-talented Bryant falls because of off-the-field concerns, I could see them scooping him up. Bryant's Pro Day is tomorrow, which should clarify his status -- maybe. The Jets have good money invested in receivers Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards, but Edwards probably will play on a one-year deal and could bolt in 2011.

5. DE Corey Wootton, Northwestern (6-6, 270) -- A Jersey kid (Don Bosco Prep) who is a borderline first/second rounder. He has the ideal frame to play end in a 34 front. He got off to a slow start last season because he blew out his knee in the 2008 Alamo Bowl, but he has the physical attributes and the intangibles to be a good one.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...#ixzz0jbJsP4c4

Numero Dos.

He wants to take credit for throwing sh!t at the wall and hoping it sticks?

If they take Odrick, I'm fine with that.

Bryant isn't falling.

Iupati is solid but unlikely (especially if you ask Bitoni )

Mays should be a hell no.

And we're not taking Corey friggin Wootton if we stay at #29.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Numero Dos.
    Vernon Gholston of safeties ????

All Pro
    heaven help me.. Wootton.

Veteran
    I love to get Taylor Mays and somehow get Golden Tate too

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Vernon Gholston of safeties ????
    I agree with you. I'd love a pass rusher at 29. HUGHES? He is gaining daily with me. He is intense.

In spite of the fact that Dr Baddniss thinks that DE Cory Wooten WILL be the Jets pick at #29, JI locals like the revered Dr Matt Bitonti, MD (a doctor of draftology here at JI) say no chance to that pick because of Wootens previous knee injury.

Notwithstanding that SAFETY is a HUGE need for us (right away), USC's Taylor Mays aint our guy! Sorry to tell all of you that. He simply doesnt have the deep cover skills that a safety needs in todays NFL. Many of you confuse "speed" with "cover skills". There are better Safety picks for us, who can cover. Both E.Smith & Ihedigbo can hit. We need pass coverage.I have watched him (Mays) out here every Saturday for the past 2 years. Hitter...yes.
    Deep pass coverage/ free safety interceptions?...no.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 03-29-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    In spite of the fact that Dr Baddniss thinks that DE Cory Wooten WILL be the Jets pick at #29, JI locals like the revered Dr Matt Bitonti, MD (a doctor of draftology here at JI) say no chance to that pick because of Wootens previous knee injury.

Notwithstanding that SAFETY is a HUGE need for us (right away), USC's Taylor Mays aint our guy! Sorry to tell all of you that. He simply doesnt have the deep cover skills that a safety needs in todays NFL. Many of you confuse "speed" with "cover skills". There are better Safety picks for us, who can cover. Both E.Smith & Hedegbo can hit. We need pass coverage.
    Wootton and Ihedigbo (Or Dig if you prefer )

Jets Insider VIP

Notwithstanding that SAFETY is a HUGE need for us (right away), USC's Taylor Mays aint our guy! Sorry to tell all of you that. He simply doesnt have the deep cover skills that a safety needs in todays NFL. Many of you confuse "speed" with "cover skills". There are better Safety picks for us, who can cover. Both E.Smith & Ihedigbo can hit. We need pass coverage.I have watched him (Mays) out here every Saturday for the past 2 years. Hitter...yes.
    Deep pass coverage/ free safety interceptions?...no.
    Agreed. Mays is being compared to Roy Williams. Big hitter, limited cover/ballhawking skills. Mayock is suggesting that he may eventually be converted to LB. I hope it's a NO.

News Flash. Rich Cimini predicts that the jets will pick someone in the first round of the draft. Cimini is staking his reputation on it, unless of course the jets trade back.

Veteran

Arrow

Just say no to Mays in the first round.

JI locals like the revered Dr Matt Bitonti, MD (a doctor of draftology here at JI) say no chance to that pick because of Wootens previous knee injury.
    lol i never said "no chance" he's just not my favorite player at that 29 spot. he could very well be there at 61... and its very possible the Jets like him more than I do...

1) Mays
    2) D. Thomas
    3) Kindle
    4) Odrick
    5) Hughes

That's my board. I don't think Mays, Kindle, or Odrick will be there though.

looks like he stole it off my Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Numero Dos.
    +1
    A playmaking, hard smashing Safety!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Agreed. Mays is being compared to Roy Williams. Big hitter, limited cover/ballhawking skills. Mayock is suggesting that he may eventually be converted to LB. I hope it's a NO.
    With Rex's schemes we need DBs who can cover. We can do a lot worse than Mays but he's not very good in coverage.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

LMAO...

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    With Rex's schemes we need DBs who can cover. We can do a lot worse than Mays but he's not very good in coverage.
    they could? like who??? name them.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    +1
    A playmaking, hard smashing Safety!!
    Too bad Mays doesn't make plays.

The guy has 2 Ints in 3 years. What "plays" do you think Mays will make in the pros when he didn't make plays at USC?

I'd really only be truly happy with Bryant or Iupati of those 5, which means those 2 are the ones we have no shot at getting. I really can't believe this "Bryant falling out of the top 10" thing is so strong publically as if there's any shot of that actually happening.

I wouldn't mind gambling on Taylor Mays, but with this whole "high draft picks must be stars yesterday" mentality going around I don't think it'd go over all that well. I really f*ckin hate that mentality...seriously...like with a f*cking passion....people buy that garbage as if that's how sh*t has ever worked.