Thread: Ravens looking to improve their kicking game Jay Feely mentioned

Veteran

Ravens looking to improve their kicking game Jay Feely mentioned

Ravens looking to improve their kicking game
    Mar 30 3/30/2010 6:05:43 AM | More

Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun reports after upgrading the wide receiver position in the early part of free agency, the Ravens are looking to solidify the other most glaring weakness of last season's team - the kicking game.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he wouldn't rule out signing a free-agent kicker before the draft who would compete with Billy Cundiff, a restricted free agent. The three kickers generating the most interest around the NFL are: Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers and Jay Feely.

It appears as if the Ravens are leaning toward Graham, who sat down with Harbaugh, owner Steve Bisciotti and general manager Ozzie Newsome for more than an hour at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla. The team also contacted Rackers, but the sides have yet to meet.

Comments
    You must register and be logged in to comment

For all the guys who are so high on Feely I find it interesting that the Ravens have not contacted him yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    if I had to choose between those three, I too would side with Graham first, then Rackers and Feely would be my third choice

Veteran
    [QUOTE=sg3;3541208]if I had to choose between those three, I too would side with Graham first, then Rackers and Feely would be my third choice[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% But wait can they punt?

All League
    Feely had a very solid season for us this past year.

He was 30 for 36 on FGs, ended up with 122 total points which is Third All Time in Jets History for a single season. Also out kicked Graham and Kaeding (sp?) in the playoffs.

I would like to see him back with us UNLESS we have someone to UPGRADE the position, not Nick Folk or some young guy off the streets thats unproven.

Jets Insider VIP
    me too

but he is an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT so if he wants to go someplace else, there isn't much we can do about it

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3541560]Feely had a very solid season for us this past year.

He was 30 for 36 on FGs, ended up with 122 total points which is Third All Time in Jets History for a single season. Also out kicked Graham and Kaeding (sp?) in the playoffs.

I would like to see him back with us UNLESS we have someone to UPGRADE the position, not Nick Folk or some young guy off the streets thats unproven.[/QUOTE]

Folk was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round (178th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. On December 30, 2007, against the Washington Redskins, he broke the Cowboys single-season record for most points by a placekicker (131). He made longest kick of his career, a 53-yard game winner against the Buffalo Bills on Monday Night Football during his rookie season. Due to a timeout by Buffalo Bills head coach Dick Jauron, Folk's first attempt, which he made, did not count and the Cowboys had to line back up for another attempt, which he again made.[2][3] That season, he was selected as the kicker for the NFC during the Pro Bowl.

Yes I know he had a bad year but he had hip surgery. He has the potential.
    Do you really want to pay Jay 4 mill a year cause thats what he wants.

[I]In a stunning move, the Jets have signed former Dallas Cowboys kicker Nick Folk to a one-year deal.

Folk, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2007, was scheduled to work out with the Jets last week. He was also slated to kick for the Giants.

The Jets are believed to want incumbent veteran Jay Feely, who becomes an unrestricted free agent, back, but he's said to be looking for big money in the wake of Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski's four-year, $16 million deal, and Folk is an insurance policy.[/I]
    He's good but he aint that good.

Veteran
    Here is a little article on Folk

As you've seen, Nick Folk is a member of the New York Jets. I was able to talk to the former Cowboys kicker in the last few minutes and Folk is excited about his chances with the Jets.

"I'm happy with the situation," said Folk. "I think it's one of the better situations in the league, especially after what happened last year. That didn't work out well but everything happens for a reason."

Folk's struggles were well chronicled during 2009. He missed 10 of 28 field goal tries before his release by the Cowboys after missing just seven attempts his first two seasons. Off-season hip surgery slowed down his progress and the drafting of David Buehler, Folk said, accelerated his return, which led to some poor habits.

"Looking back on it, I wish I took care of it back in January," said Folk, who had the operation last May.

Since being cut by the Cowboys, Folk worked with his kicking coach, Chris Sailer, and said he found a minor issue that has seen a return to his inconsistency.

"I was leaning over too much at the start," Folk said. "I was taught to be aggressive to the ball but I was hunched over. It's like a golf swing and you're hunched over. It's hard to get through the ball."

Since then, Folk said he has hit the ball much better and much straighter. At his best he would hit the ball tremendously straight (think of those Buffalo kicks as a rookie). Last year at times he had a slice and a draw. And he said his kickoffs have improved greatly.

"I'm hitting them 5, 10 yards deep now," Folk said. "I know I can kickoff. If I can hit 60 yard field goals there's no reason why I can't kickoff."

All League
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3541578]Folk was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the sixth round (178th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft. On December 30, 2007, against the Washington Redskins, he broke the Cowboys single-season record for most points by a placekicker (131). He made longest kick of his career, a 53-yard game winner against the Buffalo Bills on Monday Night Football during his rookie season. Due to a timeout by Buffalo Bills head coach Dick Jauron, Folk's first attempt, which he made, did not count and the Cowboys had to line back up for another attempt, which he again made.[2][3] That season, he was selected as the kicker for the NFC during the Pro Bowl.

Yes I know he had a bad year but he had hip surgery. He has the potential.
    Do you really want to pay Jay 4 mill a year cause thats what he wants.

[I]In a stunning move, the Jets have signed former Dallas Cowboys kicker Nick Folk to a one-year deal.

Folk, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2007, was scheduled to work out with the Jets last week. He was also slated to kick for the Giants.

The Jets are believed to want incumbent veteran Jay Feely, who becomes an unrestricted free agent, back, but he's said to be looking for big money in the wake of Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski's four-year, $16 million deal, and Folk is an insurance policy.[/I]
    He's good but he aint that good.[/QUOTE]

Yah I remember Folk that season, had a hell of a year.

Then he just collapsed and eventually got released he was kicking so bad, whether its injury or mental (I believe both but more mental) doesn't really matter if he can't recover and get over it.

Vanderjack (sp?) from IND comes to mind, the guy was setting records and was the most accurate kicker for a while, then came those horrible misses in the playoffs and he ended up being way too fragile mentally and could never get over it and last I checked he doesn't kick for anyone anymore.

Feely had a breakdown too when he was with the Giants and started looking like mentally he couldn't handle it and was finished but instead of Vanderjack he did recover and actually looked better than he was before.

Which one relates to Folk we won't know for sure until he gets another chance. If it was my choice I would stay with Feely since we are looking like we will be a real threat for a title next year and don't wanna throw it away because of the kicking game.

4 million IMO is too much BUT it is an uncapped year, we can't sign any FA due to restrictions unless we lose one of our own so if they can get him signed for 2-2.5 mil for a year or two I say do it.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3541587]Yah I remember Folk that season, had a hell of a year.

Then he just collapsed and eventually got released he was kicking so bad, whether its injury or mental (I believe both but more mental) doesn't really matter if he can't recover and get over it.

Vanderjack (sp?) from IND comes to mind, the guy was setting records and was the most accurate kicker for a while, then came those horrible misses in the playoffs and he ended up being way too fragile mentally and could never get over it and last I checked he doesn't kick for anyone anymore.

Feely had a breakdown too when he was with the Giants and started looking like mentally he couldn't handle it and was finished but instead of Vanderjack he did recover and actually looked better than he was before.

Which one relates to Folk we won't know for sure until he gets another chance. If it was my choice I would stay with Feely since we are looking like we will be a real threat for a title next year and don't wanna throw it away because of the kicking game. By the way LOVE me some VG!

[B]4 million IMO is too much BUT it is an uncapped year, we can't sign any FA due to restrictions unless we lose one of our own so if they can get him signed for 2-2.5 mil for a year or two I say do it.[/QUOTE][/B]

I agree if we can sign him to a 2mil contract I'm all for it. If Feely does sign else where for 4 mil that would be good for us to sign a FA (sharper?) too. It's kinda a win win.

All League
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3541671][/B]

I agree if we can sign him to a 2mil contract I'm all for it. If Feely does sign else where for 4 mil that would be good for us to sign a FA (sharper?) too. It's kinda a win win.[/QUOTE]

That's true, very good point.

Atleast if we do lose Feely it will probably be because someone is willing to give him a big contract which will benifit us in signing a FA to equal dollars, guess we'll have to wait and see if there's anyone willing to give him Janikowski type money.

Banned
    Shoulda resigned Feely.