Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hunger of Dustin Keller- NY Times

Jets Insider VIP

The Hunger of Dustin Keller- NY Times

March 30, 2010, 8:00 am
    The Hunger of Dustin Keller
    By DUSTIN KELLER

Luke Sharrett/The New York Times

Jets tight end Dustin Keller with a touchdown catch in the A.F.C. title game against the Colts. He scored a touchdown in each of the Jetsí three postseason games.Jets tight end Dustin Keller, who is a budding restaurateur, will write a food column once a month for the Fifth Down. Heíll also answer football questions from readers. Post your question in the comments section, and heíll answer a sampling within a week. Dustin starts off with a look at one of his favorite restaurants in New York.

Restaurant review for Peter Luger Steakhouse
    178 Broadway, Brooklyn

Iím from Indiana. I was born there, I grew up there, I played college football there, and I go back home every chance I get. Indiana is known for a few things: basketball fanatics, rows of corn as far as the eye can see, a great big racetrack, and steakhouses.

I love New York, and when the Jets drafted me in 2008 I knew I was headed to the greatest city in the world. But to make me feel at home, I knew I had to find a great steak place. Well, I found it.

Peter Luger Steakhouse, on the other side of the Williamsburg Bridge, is amazing. Itís the best steak place Iíve ever been to, and Iíve been to my fair share of steak joints. Letís just say Iíve made more trips to Peter Lugerís since Iíve been here than Iíve made back home to Indiana.

Thereís one thing Peter Luger Steakhouse is really known for: the Porterhouse steak.

I usually start with the extra thick bacon and sliced tomato, which are amazing together, and some ****tail shrimp.

Then comes their porterhouse Ė Iíve yet to find a better one. When they bring it to your table, itís already cut into several long pieces, and their signature sauce that comes with it is amazing. Thereís just something about it thatís hard to explain. Itís kind of tangy with a kick of horseradish. It gets your attention right away and compliments the taste of the steak. Usually, I eat some of the steak with the sauce, and some bites without. Itís like calling an audible at the line before each bite. I normally donít like steak sauces, but itís different at Peter Lugerís. Youíre cheating yourself if you donít at least try it.

Mix in the best creamed spinach Iíve ever had, along with the home fries, and you have my favorite steak dinner. Follow it up with any of their desserts, you just canít go wrong, but I love their strawberries and ďschlagĒ a.k.a. whipped cream.

Something else I like about Peter Lugerís is just the overall feel of the restaurant. Itís the friendliest environment, and regardless of your wait (which is never long), time passes fast because of great conversation with the waiters, managers, and bartenders that are passing by.

You know how some steak places seem so stuffy and full of themselves? Peter Lugerís isnít like that. Itís just a nice, warm feeling with the dark wood and exposed brick in the bar area.

The overall experience is great. Come with a positive attitude and youíll leave with an even better one. The food is top-notch and the service is among the best Iíve ever had.

You can follow Dustin on Facebook at facebook.com/dustinkeller81 or on Twitter at twitter.com/dustinkeller81

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3541214]March 30, 2010, 8:00 am
    The Hunger of Dustin Keller
    By DUSTIN KELLER

Luke Sharrett/The New York Times

Jets tight end Dustin Keller with a touchdown catch in the A.F.C. title game against the Colts. He scored a touchdown in each of the Jetsí three postseason games.Jets tight end Dustin Keller, who is a budding restaurateur, will write a food column once a month for the Fifth Down. Heíll also answer football questions from readers. Post your question in the comments section, and heíll answer a sampling within a week. Dustin starts off with a look at one of his favorite restaurants in New York.

Restaurant review for Peter Luger Steakhouse
    178 Broadway, Brooklyn

Iím from Indiana. I was born there, I grew up there, I played college football there, and I go back home every chance I get. Indiana is known for a few things: basketball fanatics, rows of corn as far as the eye can see, a great big racetrack, and steakhouses.

I love New York, and when the Jets drafted me in 2008 I knew I was headed to the greatest city in the world. But to make me feel at home, I knew I had to find a great steak place. Well, I found it.

Peter Luger Steakhouse, on the other side of the Williamsburg Bridge, is amazing. Itís the best steak place Iíve ever been to, and Iíve been to my fair share of steak joints. Letís just say Iíve made more trips to Peter Lugerís since Iíve been here than Iíve made back home to Indiana.

Thereís one thing Peter Luger Steakhouse is really known for: the Porterhouse steak.

I usually start with the extra thick bacon and sliced tomato, which are amazing together, and some ****tail shrimp.

Then comes their porterhouse Ė Iíve yet to find a better one. When they bring it to your table, itís already cut into several long pieces, and their signature sauce that comes with it is amazing. Thereís just something about it thatís hard to explain. Itís kind of tangy with a kick of horseradish. It gets your attention right away and compliments the taste of the steak. Usually, I eat some of the steak with the sauce, and some bites without. Itís like calling an audible at the line before each bite. I normally donít like steak sauces, but itís different at Peter Lugerís. Youíre cheating yourself if you donít at least try it.

Mix in the best creamed spinach Iíve ever had, along with the home fries, and you have my favorite steak dinner. Follow it up with any of their desserts, you just canít go wrong, but I love their strawberries and ďschlagĒ a.k.a. whipped cream.

Something else I like about Peter Lugerís is just the overall feel of the restaurant. Itís the friendliest environment, and regardless of your wait (which is never long), time passes fast because of great conversation with the waiters, managers, and bartenders that are passing by.

You know how some steak places seem so stuffy and full of themselves? Peter Lugerís isnít like that. Itís just a nice, warm feeling with the dark wood and exposed brick in the bar area.

The overall experience is great. Come with a positive attitude and youíll leave with an even better one. The food is top-notch and the service is among the best Iíve ever had.

You can follow Dustin on Facebook at facebook.com/dustinkeller81 or on Twitter at twitter.com/dustinkeller81
    __________________[/QUOTE]

Translation; OUr boy Keller has a nice little deal going with Lugers.

:yes:

Good for him.

Lame. I thought this was going to be a cool article about how Keller is driven to be a great player and is ready to blow up next year.

[QUOTE=jetsfanmack;3541222]Lame. I thought this was going to be a cool article about how Keller is driven to be a great player and is ready to blow up next year.[/QUOTE]

Same here...if it helps Keller probably will be awesome in our offense next year. Can't wait to see him and Edwards featured more...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jetsfanmack;3541222]Lame. I thought this was going to be a cool article about how Keller is driven to be a great player and is ready to blow up next year.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3541229]Same here...if it helps Keller probably will be awesome in our offense next year. Can't wait to see him and Edwards featured more...[/QUOTE]

Lotsa protein in steak and vitamins in spinach. Protein+vitamins=strength. His blocking should really improve.
    Er:eek:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Wow....what a diamond in the rough. What a find. Our boy Keller scoured the entire 5 boros and came up with this little known gem.

This is like him talking about the joys of watching Single A ball in Indiana as a kid and he was hoping to find something on par in NY and he found.....the NY Yankees.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm confused as to how his shrimp was served.

lmao at ****tail shrimp

[QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3541280]lmao at ****tail shrimp[/QUOTE]Im in class dying to keep my laughing under control

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Jets Things;3541279]I'm confused as to how his shrimp was served.[/QUOTE]

Lol....Obviously he had the rare but satisfying F***tail shrimp.

Its not offered to every patron.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3541259]Wow....what a diamond in the rough. What a find. Our boy Keller scoured the entire 5 boros and came up with this little known gem.

This is like him talking about the joys of watching Single A ball in Indiana as a kid and he was hoping to find something on par in NY and he found.....the NY Yankees.[/QUOTE]

LOL way to go out on a limb there Dustin

Don't eat too much steak Dustin, we need you in shape :)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

That's pretty cool, actually.

The last time I was at Lugers, we saw Keller there.

BTW - They still only take cash and Peter Luger cards there.

lol Mangolds response on twitter:

[QUOTE]Are you serious! Are you seriously touting Lugers as if no one knows about? You have to be kidding me [url]http://bit.ly/dsXOha[/url] @DUSTINKELLER81[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]
    or maybe we should check out this new spot called the Statue of Liberty. I hear its green but not too many people have seen it[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3541359]lol Mangolds response on twitter:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]or maybe we should check out this new spot called the Statue of Liberty. I hear its green but not too many people have seen it [/QUOTE]

Haha....I was actually contemplating using the Statute of Liberty above.

Well played, Nick. :D

[QUOTE=crasherino;3541403]Haha....I was actually contemplating using the Statute of Liberty above.

Well played, Nick. :D[/QUOTE]

C'mon you guys, cut him some slack--he tried it with the sauce and without the sauce. Not a lot of people go both ways like that. They either go 100% sauce or they skip it. DK audibled on the sauce every play. You can't coach that stuff.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;3541359]lol Mangolds response on twitter:[/QUOTE]

Why is Mangold trying to blow up Dustins gig?

Of course he knows everyone knows about Lugers...he's working some meals...

Get your own spot, Nick!:D

All League
    True strory...first time I went to Lugers I ordered my steak well done and the waiter, who looked like he'd been there for 50 years, said "McDonalds is down the f'in street. You don't eat a steak well done". LOL. Best steak I ever had though.

Hall Of Fame
    Why was this posted?
    Can we dump this ASAP

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Btw, for all those Luger devotees who don't always have the time or the inclination to head out to Brooklyn, I highly recommend Ben and Jack's as the closest version of the Lugers meal in the city.

Of all the copycats, (Benjamins, Wolfgangs, etc.), Ben and Jacks does it the best, as far as I'm concerned. Just hit the new 28th street branch as well - just as good as 43rd street.

They give you a hell of a pour on your bourbon/scotch as well....which is nice ;)