Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dez Bryant's Pro Day

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the NFL has dumb rules just like the NCAA has dumb rules

not being able to adhere to those rules is a problem
    If you admit they're dumb...and everyone knows they're dumb...how many will actually care that he talked to a pro player about being a pro player?

Seriously man...you know how unlikely it is that he's the first ever guy to do this? Miami U was pumping out guys who consider each and every other Hurrican player family earlier in the decade...It's not some huge knock on his character to actually pursue his interests (admit it, you like that spin there).

I love seeing these 22-23 year old kids being painted as bad people by people who only get tidbits like "he forgot his cleats for his workout."

Also, no comment on the Schefter tweet about the 4.32 and the Pro Day explosion numbers of 38" and 11'1"? It's such wishful thinking to think that teams are going to let one of the drafts best talents...and I'm not talking top 10 or 15 or 20 talent...one of the drafts absolute best talents...fall to the late first based on such minor incidents.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-31-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Also, no comment on the Schefter tweet about the 4.32 and the Pro Day explosion numbers of 38" and 11'1"? It's such wishful thinking to think that teams are going to let one of the drafts best talents...and I'm not talking top 10 or 15 or 20 talent...one of the drafts absolute best talents...fall to the late first based on such minor incidents.
    schefter claiming he ran a 4.3 in training is mythical. its like the tree falling in the woods, if scouts dont see it, it never happened. the vert is nice but not all that amazing (chris cook and others jumped 44+ at combine). the broad is nice.

end of the day he's shaping up to be a possession receiver, not a gamebreaker.

he falls because he hasn't played football since Sept and hasn't done much to help his stock... not because of what fans think. trust me fans are way more tolerant of his act than the selection makers are... they want guys who work hard, all the time, without excuse. I dont see any plausible reason why Bryant missed the combine and his pro day. he had all that time off to prepare... he's just big timing it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry...a 38 inch verticle from a 6'2 225 WR is amazing because a corner who weighs 20 pounds less got 44?

end of the day he's shaping up to be a possession receiver, not a gamebreaker.
    Lol...Seriously question...have you actually ever watched Dez Bryant play? Possession reciever my balls. That's like saying Larry Fitzgerald was set up to be a posession WR coming out...which he was since he wasn't that great after the catch or all that fast.

trust me fans are way more tolerant of his act than the selection makers are...
    And...no, they're not. Fans are actually buying that the cleat "incident" is some kind of sign of something. The guys who've actually met him and seen him play probably don't really care about forgetting cleats all that much.

I dont see any plausible reason why Bryant missed the combine and his pro day.
    Really? Was his "hamstring injury" any less plausible than Kyle Wilson's at combine? Or Morgan Burnett's? Nate Allen? Chad Jones? Reshad Jones?

As someone who actually studies the draft you should know by now that teams don't pass on high end talent because of a bunch of little things. There has to be maaaajor red flags for a talent of Bryant's caliber to fall...forgetting his cleats, not running at combine where a whole bunch of skill position players didn't, and dining with an NFL legend might be red flags in your head, but there's a big reason why Bryant only became controversial as a prospect once FA was done and there was nothing really left to talk about or attack (the prefered type of conversation). You're letting a bunch of noise get in the way of what should be better judgement.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy forgot his cleats to his own PRIVATE, INDIVIDUAL PRO DAY? Forgetting the fact of WHY he had to hold HIS OWN Pro Day, how about the fact that the dummy QUIT on a couple of drills out of frustration...just QUIT. He could have stopped and said he slipped and reset or whatever, but he just chose to be a fool and quit and demonstrate a bad attitude.

Did you guys WATCH his pro day? It looked like he was serving a sentence rather than auditioning for the NFL to play a game he is supposed to "love" for Millions of dollars. Somebody will draft him high, but hes got headache written all over him already....and not Randy Moss "I smoked some weed" Headache, but Pac-Man Jones "I is a stupid ass mofo that keeps gettin' in trouble" Headache.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    The guy forgot his cleats to his own PRIVATE, INDIVIDUAL PRO DAY? Forgetting the fact of WHY he had to hold HIS OWN Pro Day, how about the fact that the dummy QUIT on a couple of drills out of frustration...just QUIT. He could have stopped and said he slipped and reset or whatever, but he just chose to be a fool and quit and demonstrate a bad attitude.

Did you guys WATCH his pro day? It looked like he was serving a sentence rather than auditioning for the NFL to play a game he is supposed to "love" for Millions of dollars. Somebody will draft him high, but hes got headache written all over him already....and not Randy Moss "I smoked some weed" Headache, but Pac-Man Jones "I is a stupid ass mofo that keeps gettin' in trouble" Headache.

is there a link to this video??? TIA....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    is there a link to this video??? TIA....
    Look on NFL Network. Mayock commented directly on it as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    your avatar is too e-hipster (fyi)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Why'd you do it in Lufkin??? Because they wouldn't let me workout at OSU....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...yant-works-out

Mayock's got him as the #3 PLAYER in the country.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...yant-works-out

Mayock's got him as the #3 PLAYER in the country.
    interesting....if teams are going back to watch film in case he slides as Mayock claims, Bryant ain't gonna slide to far...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he slides to around 20, we should definitely think about trading up......He is a ridiculous player on the field and will be a beast.....His character concerns are wayyy overblown IMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're letting a bunch of noise get in the way of what should be better judgement.
    end of the day he didn't run well... 4.6 is a great time for a linebacker

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Article about his pro day from Bucky Brooks:

"Dez Bryantís uneven performance at his private pro day workout could lead to a dramatic slide on draft day.

Bryant posted 40-yard dash times that ranged from 4.50 to 4.60 seconds on scoutsí watches, and he failed to finish a handful of shuttle drills designed to test his quickness. Though he recorded impressive measurements in the vertical (38 inches) and broad jump (11-foot-1), Bryantís stamina and conditioning can be called into question after watching him labor through some of the drills at the latter part of the workout.
    HQ video delivered by Akamai

In looking at Bryant go through the position-specific portion of the workout, itís apparent that he is a natural pass catcher with outstanding hands. He effortlessly plucks the ball out of the air and easily adjusts to errant throws slightly off target.

As a route runner, Bryant shows good balance and body control getting out of his breaks, but he was rusty and out of rhythm while running his routes. He repeatedly slipped and stumbled out of breaks and didnít display the same crispness and polish that he exhibited in games last season.

Bryant failed to display the top form that earned him the designation as the top receiver in the 2010 draft class, so scouts and coaches will now go back and pour over his game tape to see if they missed any potential red flags in his play.

In addition, teams will continue to assess his character concerns to see if there is any carryover between his on-field struggles and reported off-field issues. Therefore, it is important for Bryant to do well in his private workouts and clear up any background questions that are lingering in the minds of evaluators.

I canít help but think Bryantís disappointing workout and character issues have likely sent his stock spiraling on several draft boards.

Ė Bucky Brooks"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    end of the day he didn't run well... 4.6 is a great time for a linebacker
    There's been reported times of 4.32 (the Schefter tweet, non-Pro Day)...4.50 at the pro day...4.52 at the pro day...4.57 at the pro day...now 4.6?

Make up your mind........or better yet...realize that there's no concrete number because no one actually caaaaares about how fast he runs 40 yards in a straight line. Bryant's not some mystery talent that the NFL is trying to gauge through workouts man.

End of the day it wasn't a bad workout.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's been reported times of 4.32 (the Schefter tweet, non-Pro Day)...4.50 at the pro day...4.52 at the pro day...4.57 at the pro day...now 4.6?
    that's a pretty big range... reality he's probably in the 4.55 range and no that's not good. the 4.3 schefter tweet was an outlier

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's a pretty big range... reality he's probably in the 4.55 range and no that's not good. the 4.3 schefter tweet was an outlier
    Good for what? Displaying his ability to run 120 feet in a straight line? Again bit, big deal. I don't value 40 times over game tape, and I certainly don't care about it after the DHB/Crabtree draft last year.

Outlier's an outlier but if he ran a 4.32 he ran a 4.32. It's not like his NFL career goal is to run a 4.32 again. It's not as if teams are lining up their CBs/WR battles based on 40 times. It's not as if Bryant's going to be going up against an NFL corner and the coaches are going to go "oh man we can't throw to him...the guy covering him ran a 4.48 and Dez only ran a 4.55...there's no way we're winning that battle."
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-01-2010 at 10:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's not his 40 time that worries me, it's his brain, or lack thereof.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for what? Displaying his ability to run 120 feet in a straight line? Again bit, big deal. I don't value 40 times over game tape, and I certainly don't care about it after the DHB/Crabtree draft last year.
    just to be clear we are talking about draft value. DHB was drafted before Crabtree... because of the 40 yard dash. the draft decision makers respect speed. character concerns aside, Dez Bryant probably shouldn't go top 10 because of his mediocre 40.

Does that mean he will be terrible? No, Im not saying that. What I'm saying is he didn't show the measurables to be considered an elite (top 10) draft pick.

just to put that time into perspective Everson Griffen ran 4.59 at 275. Carlos Dunlap had a similar time at a similar weight. these are late-first/early second defensive linemen running as fast or faster than a so-called top 10 wide receiver... that's not kosher for passover... hes not a top 10 guy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what about thomas from GT? is he a legit candidate for the jets at 29?