Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Report: Raiders' first pick in demand

  1. #21
    The only player I trade up into the top 10 for is SUH. that would take most of this years picks and next years 1st

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by caster View Post
    A team wants Clausen ahead of the Bills.
    How about the Redskins.
    They would get Clausen and the Offensive Tackle they need.
    JMO the team i would guess is the Patriots. First Raiders and Bellichik/Patriots have a history recently of making alot of trades. Second the Patriots have alot of picks. (probably willing to give up some to get player they want) Raiders could use multiple picks while still getting the player that will have the most impact.( say maurkice Pouncey /Mike Iupati)

    Still it would be a first for the Raiders if they ever traded back in the first. Can't see Al davis doing that. (maybe If Raiders trade for Mcnabb that will be the incentive for Al Davis to do what he has never done.

  3. #23
    Bill Belicheck is also well known for his belief that Top 10 picks aren't worth the kind of contracts they're going to get. Last time they had a Top 10 pick, they traded down and ended up taking Mayo at 10 (And I'm sure they would've traded down further if they had the chance). Plain and simple, Bill Belicheck doesn't believe in paying rookies that kinda coin.

    If there's one team I can guarantee you it's not, it's the Patriots.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Bill Belicheck is also well known for his belief that Top 10 picks aren't worth the kind of contracts they're going to get. Last time they had a Top 10 pick, they traded down and ended up taking Mayo at 10 (And I'm sure they would've traded down further if they had the chance). Plain and simple, Bill Belicheck doesn't believe in paying rookies that kinda coin.

    If there's one team I can guarantee you it's not, it's the Patriots.
    Big diffrence from the eight pick to the top seven picks.(moneywise) I believe it was said during last year draft . (that the position(area) teams are willing to trade up) Second Bellichik isn't in the same position he once was. Losing Richard Seymour had a big effect on that defense last year.
    Not to mention Bellichik no dummy, he saw the sucess jets have had trading up in the draft for player they wanted(revis + Sanchez) Its a copy cat league.

    Bellichik sees a player that he thinks could have MAJOR impact on his offense or defense at eight, and I guarantee he will move up.


    Patriots have alot of draft choices(how many have a realistic shot to make roster anyway) Don't be suppri9sed if that team is not the Patriots.

  5. #25
    People can change past behaviour. A lot of teams have watched the Jets trade up time and again over the past few years and build a contender by going after the guys they really want. Teams like the Pats have sat their with a million picks and end up cutting half of them a year or two later. Also GM's have an influence so this is not all Beli and the GM that was with him all those years is now elsewhere. I could easily see the Pats have a change of heart in the way they do things.

  6. #26
    People can change past behavior, they don't change their fundamental beliefs though. If you don't believe Top 10 picks are worth that kind of contracts, then I just can't envision him moving up for one. Copycat league or no.

    And no offense, but Belicheck has won 3 super bowls as a HC, he doesn't change to what others are doing. Others copy him.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    People can change past behavior, they don't change their fundamental beliefs though. If you don't believe Top 10 picks are worth that kind of contracts, then I just can't envision him moving up for one. Copycat league or no.

    And no offense, but Belicheck has won 3 super bowls as a HC, he doesn't change to what others are doing. Others copy him.
    You can never make generalizations like that. Let me give you example. Al Davis has never traded back in the first round.(he will trade up) His philosphy has always been he rather reach for a guy he wants, than risk losing that player to another team by dropping back.(believe in your convictions) That has always been his fundamental belief.


    Now can certain circumstances change his philosphy. YEs they can. Say for example Raiders do eventually get D Mcnabb in a Trade. Hes going to looking for players that can have instant impact on his oline.(M Pouncey(Center might be bigger priority than OT, M Iupati) Strengthen the interior of the oline. Center and Cooper carlise Rg have to replaced badly. Taking Pouncey at eight is probably a little early for even davis. So yes even Al Davis might go against his fundamental beliefs and look to trade back in the first.

  8. #28
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    People can change past behavior, they don't change their fundamental beliefs though. If you don't believe Top 10 picks are worth that kind of contracts, then I just can't envision him moving up for one. Copycat league or no.

    And no offense, but Belicheck has won 3 super bowls as a HC, he doesn't change to what others are doing. Others copy him.
    If there was a guy that BB thought very highly of and thought it was worth it to trade up for, I have no doubt he would. I really don't think that the Pats are wed to only one philosophy of drafting (i.e. accumulating quantity of picks).

    The reason the Pats have been so successful over the past 10 years is that they've been able to adapt. Pre-Randy Moss, everyone said that the Pats would never go for a marquee WR - afterall, look how well they've done without one. They never focus on one guy, their short passing game is key, etc. etc. That went by the wayside when they stumbled on to Randy Moss.

    I wouldn't put anything past BB. He'll certainly consider all possible options. If there is a guy that he thinks can be a game changer (ala Revis), I suspect he'll make a move. Not necessarily this year - this draft is deep, doesn't make much sense to sacrifice several 2nd rounders to get the Raiders pick - but more in theory.

  9. #29
    I saw this scenario off of Raiders forum. This is what I would want with Raiders number 1 pick. Raiders switch first round picks with the Eagles for D Mcnabb . Eagles get Raiders number 8 pick and raiders get eagles 23 pick.

    Eagles select Cb Joe haden or Possible De derrick Morgan

    Raiders trade their second round pick for Ravens Lt Jared Gaither(will be Raiders RT) With The 24 pick in the draft the Raiders select Center Maurkice pouncey.

    Mcnabb, Gaither and Pouncey. Raiders return to the playoffs in 2010.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I saw this scenario off of Raiders forum. This is what I would want with Raiders number 1 pick. Raiders switch first round picks with the Eagles for D Mcnabb . Eagles get Raiders number 8 pick and raiders get eagles 23 pick.

    Eagles select Cb Joe haden or Possible De derrick Morgan

    Raiders trade their second round pick for Ravens Lt Jared Gaither(will be Raiders RT) With The 24 pick in the draft the Raiders select Center Maurkice pouncey.

    Mcnabb, Gaither and Pouncey. Raiders return to the playoffs in 2010.
    That actually seems like a decent idea... and it's fairly realistic, aside from the Raiders in the playoffs spot.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    People can change past behaviour. A lot of teams have watched the Jets trade up time and again over the past few years and build a contender by going after the guys they really want. Teams like the Pats have sat their with a million picks and end up cutting half of them a year or two later. Also GM's have an influence so this is not all Beli and the GM that was with him all those years is now elsewhere. I could easily see the Pats have a change of heart in the way they do things.
    i completely agree with what u just said.... i think the recent trend has been to trade down and accumulate picks but the jets really doing well in the draft getting there guys will change some things.....

    Tom Brady has made a lot of Bellicheck draft failures into not so big of a deal... but its is starting to catch up to him with Brady beginning his decline....

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I saw this scenario off of Raiders forum. This is what I would want with Raiders number 1 pick. Raiders switch first round picks with the Eagles for D Mcnabb . Eagles get Raiders number 8 pick and raiders get eagles 23 pick.

    Eagles select Cb Joe haden or Possible De derrick Morgan

    Raiders trade their second round pick for Ravens Lt Jared Gaither(will be Raiders RT) With The 24 pick in the draft the Raiders select Center Maurkice pouncey.

    Mcnabb, Gaither and Pouncey. Raiders return to the playoffs in 2010.

    Funny 90210 I thought you said last offseason that they were the most talented team in league and that Paul Hackett was going to unleash JaFatAss and the vaunted Raiders offense on the league. How'd that one turn out Skippy

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    You can never make generalizations like that. Let me give you example. Al Davis has never traded back in the first round.(he will trade up) His philosphy has always been he rather reach for a guy he wants, than risk losing that player to another team by dropping back.(believe in your convictions) That has always been his fundamental belief.


    Now can certain circumstances change his philosphy. YEs they can. Say for example Raiders do eventually get D Mcnabb in a Trade. Hes going to looking for players that can have instant impact on his oline.(M Pouncey(Center might be bigger priority than OT, M Iupati) Strengthen the interior of the oline. Center and Cooper carlise Rg have to replaced badly. Taking Pouncey at eight is probably a little early for even davis. So yes even Al Davis might go against his fundamental beliefs and look to trade back in the first.
    YOU, shouldn't be giving any examples or any advice to anybody.

    You have been more wrong than anybody in the history of internet posting on a football message board, you are a clown homer, run along.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    only way jets would trade up is if berry is available. period. done. finito. end convo.

    therefore, for us to get involved, would have to be a draft day trade.
    Unrealistic or not, Darrelle Revis and Eric Berry in a secondary with Cromartie and Leonhard as "role players" would be... wow... I mean... ahh... WOW!!!

  15. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Unrealistic or not, Darrelle Revis and Eric Berry in a secondary with Cromartie and Leonhard as "role players" would be... wow... I mean... ahh... WOW!!!
    That would be pretty awesome but it would take a trade up we can't afford.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us