Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nine Teens Charged in Girl's Suicide

Jets Insider VIP

Nine Teens Charged in Girl's Suicide

[QUOTE][url]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001376-504083.html?tag=crimesidercarousel[/url]

[IMG]http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2010/03/30/Phoebe_xl_370x278_370x278.jpg[/IMG]

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (CBS/AP) Nine teenagers face charges for allegedly hounding and harassing 15-year-old Irish immigrant Phoebe Prince, bullying her to the point where she hanged herself to end her misery.
    Out of the nine teens, two boys are charged with statutory rape and they and a clique of girls are facing charges including stalking, criminal harassment and violating Phoebe's civil rights.

School officials are not charged even though authorities say they knew the girl was being bullied and they didn't stop the harassment even after Prince's mother came to two of them with her concerns.
    Northwestern District Attorney Elizabeth Scheibel said the events before the teen's death on Jan. 14 were "the culmination of a nearly three-month campaign of verbally assaultive behavior and threats of physical harm" widely known among the student body.

The 15-year-old was insulted and threatened almost from her first day at South Hadley High School, bullying her in the halls, library and through text messages. Prince was harassed for having a short relationship with a popular boy in school.

On the day she hung herself, Prince was pelted with a beverage container and cursed at as she walked home from school.

Scheibel said the harassment began in September, occurring primarily in school and in person, although some of it surfaced on Facebook and in other electronic forms. At least four students and two faculty members intervened to try to stop it or report it to administrators, she said.

Prince's family has since moved away from the area.

Some students accused of participating in the bullying have been disciplined by the school and will not be returning to classes.

The teens who face criminal charges under the indictments announced Monday are:

Sean Mulveyhill, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with statutory rape, violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

Kayla Narey, 17, of South Hadley. Charged with violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.

Austin Renaud, 18, of Springfield. Charged with statutory rape.

Ashley Longe, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury.

Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury.

Flannery Mullins, 16, of South Hadley. Charged as a youthful offender with stalking and violation of civil rights resulting in bodily injury.

Three 16-year-old South Hadley girls, whose names were not released, face delinquency charges that include the civil rights offense, criminal harassment and disturbance of a school assembly.[/QUOTE]

Kids. Just a bunch of a-holes anymore. It's all fun and games until someone offs themselves or shows up to school with a gun.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3541690]Kids. Just a bunch of a-holes anymore. It's all fun and games until someone offs themselves or shows up to school with a gun.[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable..this one happened by me last week...knew her father.

She was targeted on-line even after her death.

[B][SIZE="4"]Long Island teen's suicide linked to cruel cyberbullies, formspring.me site: police[/SIZE][/B]

BY Oren Yaniv
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, March 25th 2010, 12:35 AM

Alexis Pilkington, 17, a West Islip soccer star, took her own life Sunday following vicious taunts on social networking sites. Related NewsPassword-stealing virus targets Facebook usersRep. Anthony Weiner blasts Sarah Palin for gun-sight imageryYou can exhale now, tech geeks: iPads at Apple, Best Buy stores this weekendFormer nanny says Heather Mills was boss from hellFacebook to scrap 'become a fan' for 'like'Author Stephenie Meyer to breathe life into 'Twilight' off-shoot
    Cops are investigating whether cyberbullies contributed to the suicide of a Long Island teen with nasty messages posted online after her death.

Alexis Pilkington, 17, a West Islip soccer star, took her own life Sunday following vicious taunts on social networking sites - which persisted postmortem on Internet tribute pages, worsening the grief of her family and friends.

"Investigators are monitoring the postings and will take action if any communication is determined to be of a criminal nature," Suffolk County Deputy Chief of Detectives Frank Stallone said yesterday.

Alexis' parents downplayed the Internet role, saying their daughter was in counseling before she ever signed up with formspring.me, a new social site, where many of the attacks appeared.

"I believe in my heart that cyberbullying wasn't the cause of Lexi's death," said her mother, Paula Pilkington. "This is a mistake."

Alexis' father, Tom Pilkington, who serves in the NYPD, has said they will cooperate with the police probe.

Despite the negativity online, Paula Pilkington said the family is getting plenty of support in the real world.

"The outpouring of children coming to my house is amazing," she said. "There has to be some positive coming out of this."

I cant fathom any of this crap. :(

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3541690]Kids. Just a bunch of a-holes anymore. It's all fun and games until someone offs themselves or shows up to school with a gun.[/QUOTE]

So this is what the next generation looks like. Can't wait till they get to the real world!

Bewildered Beast
    So I shouldn't sign up for Sit On My Facebook?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3541842]So I shouldn't sign up for Sit On My Facebook?[/QUOTE]

Lol.

:eek:

the whole thing depresses me.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;3541700]I cant fathom any of this crap. :([/QUOTE]

For todays kids, it seems that online taunting can have the same detrimental effect on someone as if they were doing it right to their face in front of an entire classroom. How do you stop cyber-bullying? You can't police the entire internet.

The only way I could think to protect my/any kids is for parents to "friend" their kids on MyFaceSpace and keep an eye on what other kids post about them publicly and take it up with the other parents.

What else can ya do?

:dunno:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;3541971]the whole thing depresses me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because they are the next generation of computer doosh's like us and this is where they find themselves while we swat at eachother on a football forum.

This sheet is serious.

:eek:

its crazy

the only thing i ever had to worry about was Bobby Flaherty.

I changed the route I walked to junior high school to avoid him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3541974]For todays kids, it seems that online taunting can have the same detrimental effect on someone as if they were doing it right to their face in front of an entire classroom. How do you stop cyber-bullying? You can't police the entire internet.

The only way I could think to protect my/any kids is for parents to "friend" their kids on MyFaceSpace and keep an eye on what other kids post about them publicly and take it up with the other parents.

What else can ya do?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

I never wanted to touch that myfacespace/facebook crap....but you may be right.

[QUOTE=32green;3541980]Maybe because they are the next generation of computer doosh's like us and this is where they find themselves while we swat at eachother on a football forum.

This sheet is serious.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

maybe this will inspire you to be nicer to me.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;3541989]maybe this will inspire you to be nicer to me.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, not at all.

Why do you ask?

:dunno:

[QUOTE=32green;3541993]Oh no, not at all.

Why do you ask?

Indeed. Why do I?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3541974]For todays kids, it seems that online taunting can have the same detrimental effect on someone as if they were doing it right to their face in front of an entire classroom. How do you stop cyber-bullying? You can't police the entire internet.

What else can ya do?

[I]The 15-year-old was insulted and threatened almost from her first day at South Hadley High School, bullying her in the halls, library and through text messages. Prince was harassed for having a short relationship with a popular boy in school.

On the day she hung herself, Prince was pelted with a beverage container and cursed at as she walked home from school.[/I]

Seems it was the combination of unrelenting cruelty in all forms that left the girl feeling totally trapped. Like a pack of hyenas. Gotta wonder what kind of homes these creatures came from. I'm sure they'll blame her for being weak and not own a stick of responsibility for her death. Something incredibly depressing about the fact that the girl could apparently find no refuge... probably because she was an immigrant and hadn't formed a close enough friend to buffer her.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3542003][I]The 15-year-old was insulted and threatened almost from her first day at South Hadley High School, bullying her in the halls, library and through text messages. Prince was harassed for having a short relationship with a popular boy in school.

On the day she hung herself, Prince was pelted with a beverage container and cursed at as she walked home from school.[/I]

Seems it was the combination of unrelenting cruelty in all forms that left the girl feeling totally trapped. Like a pack of hyenas. Gotta wonder what kind of homes these creatures came from. I'm sure they'll blame her for being weak and not own a stick of responsibility for her death. Something incredibly depressing about the fact that the girl could apparently find no refuge... probably because she was an immigrant and hadn't formed a close enough friend to buffer her.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a bunch of low class Irish trash turned on the new one. And I say that as a low class Irish donk myself.

:(

In no way am I taking a shot at this girl.

But two of the boys are being charged with statutory rape.

Cute Irish girl comes to town, steals some boys from the thunder thigh gallery and sh!t goes left.

Whenever foreign girls came to my school, they were a hot commodity, until they weren't so 'foreign' any longer.

What a shame and a waste of what could have been a promising life.

I'd venture to say much more promising than any of the animals who brought her to the point she felt she had no other out.

All Pro
    I hate to say it, but it's stuff like this that reinforces our decision not to have kids. Sometimes in this day and age it's tough enough keeping your own sh*t together let alone constantly watchdogging your kids and just praying you raised them right. Even then, it's not always up to them...it's also how someone else raised their kid. :(

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=RageATL;3542025]I hate to say it, but it's stuff like this that reinforces our decision not to have kids. Sometimes in this day and age it's tough enough keeping your own sh*t together let alone constantly watchdogging your kids and just praying you raised them right. Even then, it's not always up to them...it's also how someone else raised their kid. :([/QUOTE]

So only the eejits have kids? Lil eejits?

You are a good dude. Reproduce, please, we need the help.

:yes:

All League

What else can ya do?

I couldn't imagine if these networking sites were around while I was in H.S. The minute Facef*ck went public, I thought to myself this is baddd news.

It's just another way for kids to be cruel and leave others out, but in a more public and constant spectrum. Now everyone will see Johnny is not invited to the party because it's on facef*ck.

That's a brutal story.

Bewildered Beast

What else can ya do?

[QUOTE=32green;3541980]Maybe because they are the next generation of computer doosh's like us and this is where they find themselves while we swat at eachother on a football forum.

This sheet is serious.

:eek:[/QUOTE]

Hey I don't need facebook. That thing is like ivy; now people are signing me up for commercial stuff. Yecch.

All the idiot savants like me are here; waiting for the yearning to be satisfied. Restless, excited...we fill the human void between games with puzzling repartee...a snippet of football, a dash of douchebaggery, some jerk with too many stats... and the tension from the tepid wait for a meaningful game is mollified.

Thank you!