Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Jets can whiff this draft and still be more than OK...

  1. #1

    Jets can whiff this draft and still be more than OK...

    There is no area of glaring weakness on this team, the front office has done a great job stacking up this team, there is plenty of talent right now that we could skip the draft altogether and it wouldn't make a difference... Sure we would start to notice in 2 years, but there are plenty of young prospects on the team already. Even the loss of Wallace Wright when we signed Laury the best special teamer on the Seahawks and a linebacker at that which is an upgrade in itself since Wallace never saw the field on offense, I actually think Laury can be a solid backup.

    The free agent additions alone will make us better (Cro, LT and Pool) I don't think the defections will hurt us much. I also expect some players like DeVito, Ihedigbo, Cole, Slauson, Turner, Pitoitua, Gholston to get better and make contributions this year... I'm not sweating this draft like in previous years, this draft is gravy really.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,005
    With the wadted pick of gholsten, I think it is in tannebaum's best interest not to blow this 1st round pick.

  3. #3
    Cro was not a FA addition. He costed us a draft pick already.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    There is no area of glaring weakness on this team, the front office has done a great job stacking up this team, there is plenty of talent right now that we could skip the draft altogether and it wouldn't make a difference... Sure we would start to notice in 2 years, but there are plenty of young prospects on the team already. Even the loss of Wallace Wright when we signed Laury the best special teamer on the Seahawks and a linebacker at that which is an upgrade in itself since Wallace never saw the field on offense, I actually think Laury can be a solid backup.

    The free agent additions alone will make us better (Cro, LT and Pool) I don't think the defections will hurt us much. I also expect some players like DeVito, Ihedigbo, Cole, Slauson, Turner, Pitoitua, Gholston to get better and make contributions this year... I'm not sweating this draft like in previous years, this draft is gravy really.
    We have a glaring weakness at WR. We easily need one, maybe even 2 good WR's. Say we draft a bust WR and either Cotch or Edwards goes down...we would be screwed. Not to mention we also have a holes at safety and DE. This draft could mean Superbowl or bust IMO.

  5. #5
    If we draft well, that could put us over the edge to getting to the Super Bowl.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    We have a glaring weakness at WR. We easily need one, maybe even 2 good WR's. Say we draft a bust WR and either Cotch or Edwards goes down...we would be screwed. Not to mention we also have a holes at safety and DE. This draft could mean Superbowl or bust IMO.



    If Cotch or Edwards go down we would be screwed regardless whether we had a rookie there or not, rookie receivers almost always struggle especially when thrown in the mix such as would be the case if a starter went down. Not saying to blow the draft, just saying this team is good enough right now as it stand and that the draft would be gravy. I don't see the holes at safety or DE, I guarantee you whoever we draft at etither spot will not start this year ahead of the likes of Smith and Ihedigbo or Ellis and DeVito... more than likely this won't happen.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,823
    Honestly I believe every draft is important but in terms of success this year I see what you mean.

    Personally I would like to see us draft both Offensive and Defensive lineman for depth incase of injury, plus Faneca, Woody, Jenkins and Ellis are all key guys getting up their in age.

    For the first round or two though I would like to go for an OLB, S or WR whichever falls to us as the best in those positions. I wouldn't be mad if we went with a CB in say the 2nd round either, you can never have too many of those. A WR or DB that can return kicks is a plus too, don't know if Leon will be the same and its good to have some youth there.

    This Draft can help us fill some future holes plus give us contributers this year but by no means is it a make or break draft for us. Division Rivals New England and Buffalo (Miami too but not as much) need to hit it big in the draft this year as they have A LOT more holes to fill then us, especially NE IMO needs to make up for the past 3 to 4 drafts.

  8. #8
    I get your premise but you're not exactly going to dodge the bullets from pessimists alike.

    We need help.

    We have a starting DE that may not make it through the season.

    A starting NT that may not make it through the season.

    No situational pass rusher on the other side of Pace.

    (I like Thomas more than most, just pointing it out)

    Two white safeties (lol)

    Pool and his concussion issues.

    A huge question mark at CB opposite Revis.

    A giant question mark at CB between the hashes.

    A RB coming off a horrific leg break.

    A RB coming looking like he belongs at the broadcast table.

    A RB that may not make it through the season and has possible fumbleitis.

    A QB that may throw more INT than TD's, again.

    A WR that may let balls hit him in his face, helmet, chest, etc repeatedly.

    David Clowney and Brad Smith going over the middle.

    A healthy line for two years that may not be so healthy as they age yet another year this season.

    A TE who couldn't figure out if he was good or bad last year.

    A blocking TE who can't seem to stop holding.

    A FB that's older than our previous coach and was probably seriously contemplating retirement.

    You can spin it whatever way you like.

    All teams have these issues.

    That's what the draft is for.

    Don't miss.

  9. #9
    Can't afford to whiff on this draft, there is good talent throughout. We want to get some good football players added to this team.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    I get your premise but you're not exactly going to dodge the bullets from pessimists alike.

    We need help.

    We have a starting DE that may not make it through the season.

    A starting NT that may not make it through the season.

    No situational pass rusher on the other side of Pace.

    (I like Thomas more than most, just pointing it out)

    Two white safeties (lol)

    Pool and his concussion issues.

    A huge question mark at CB opposite Revis.

    A giant question mark at CB between the hashes.

    A RB coming off a horrific leg break.

    A RB coming looking like he belongs at the broadcast table.

    A RB that may not make it through the season and has possible fumbleitis.

    A QB that may throw more INT than TD's, again.

    A WR that may let balls hit him in his face, helmet, chest, etc repeatedly.

    David Clowney and Brad Smith going over the middle.

    A healthy line for two years that may not be so healthy as they age yet another year this season.

    A TE who couldn't figure out if he was good or bad last year.

    A blocking TE who can't seem to stop holding.

    A FB that's older than our previous coach and was probably seriously contemplating retirement.

    You can spin it whatever way you like.

    All teams have these issues.

    That's what the draft is for.

    Don't miss
    .
    Was wondering what point you were trying to make, but you brought it home with the last three lines. There is no team, reigning champs included, that can afford to blow an opportunity to stack talent. I will agree that this is the only Jets team other than the '99 squad that can actually improve without another addition due to youth development, but the draft reqiures equal investment regardless of the situation for the reasons listed here.

    They have four months to prep for drafting seven (or so) players. Get it right and keep your team moving.

  11. #11
    Ummm. I would not recommend that. New England is still given credit based on Brady and Bellichick, but they have a number of holes to fill because they whiffed on so many picks over the years. You cannot assume no matter what you believe your talent level is that you can whiff on too many drafts and maintain that stature (and remember, though many of believe the Jets are ready to take that next step, we haven't accomplished it as of yet so the stature we're at is still in question).

    Add to the fact that this is one of the deepest drafts in years and I believe that we need to come out with a minimum of three impact players.

  12. #12
    Still think you're underestimating how glaring a hole the Safety position is now. Pool has had 4 concussions already, counting on him to even stay on the field for 16 weeks, nevermind replace Kerry Rhodes is complete wishful thinking.

  13. #13
    Let's hope Mr. T doesn't whiff.

  14. #14
    No we can't. I think I'd almost garauntee 6-10 if our draft sucked...OK...drastic...but it couldn't and wouldn't be fine...if not some long term players who are pro ready at least.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    We have a hole at Safety and need depth at D-line and ILB. Not to mention we still lack a natural pass rusher. Jets need to have a succesful draft.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    With the wadted pick of gholsten, I think it is in tannebaum's best interest not to blow this 1st round pick.
    Gholston pick was a bad one no doubt but NO GM hits on every pick and we had our hands tied at number 6 he was the best option at the time.

    2006 Fergeson and Mangold

    Solid Pro-Bowl LT and for my money the BEST C in the league.

    2007 Revis

    Best CB in the league hands down.

    2008 Gholston and Keller

    So far Gholston has been a bust. Keller is an excellent weapon out of the TE position we havent had in forever.

    2009 Sanchez

    Potential Franchise QB.

    Check his track record and compair it to ANYONES in the league the last 4 to 5 years and try to give me a better GM in the draft. FIVE solid starters and potential Pro-Bowlers out of SIX is GREAT, I'll take MR T over anyone in the NFL.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-30-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: got Keller's draft year wrong, thanks Weskerlogan

  17. #17
    I agree with you that the team hasn't as many holes to fill as previous year's and is strong right now - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The other teams want to win just as much as the Jets, and will not be lying down during draft day or the season, for that matter. If we start getting lackadaisical and complacent now then inevitably all the good work up to this point will start coming undone. I believe the mindset of champion teams is to do everything with excellence 100%, unrelenting.

    As well, injuries/suspensions during the season are a fact of life in the NFL, we still need to stockpile talent for depth particularly on the DL, WR, OL, S etc. Also if we draft duds then valuable, finite $$$ is tied up in guaranteed money due to salary cap restrictions. Even Woody would get turned off doing that.

    If we start getting lazy and indulgent, content with whatever we get then we really deserve the ignominious title of SOJ's - the very thing we are striving to discard. If so, we should only blame ourselves. I for one, never want hear the accursed phrase again on draft day.

    As other posters have mentioned we need a strong draft, and an infusion of fresh, motivated talent to push us over the top to the SB.

    Take us to the promised land!!
    Last edited by FijiJet; 03-30-2010 at 08:29 PM.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cedar Grove, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,759
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    Gholston pick was a bad one no doubt but NO GM hits on every pick and we had our hands tied at number 6 he was the best option at the time.

    2006 Fergeson and Mangold

    Solid Pro-Bowl LT and for my money the BEST C in the league.

    2007 Revis

    Best CB in the league hands down.

    2008 Gholston

    So far been a bust.

    2009 Sanchez and Keller

    Potential Franchise QB and a weapon at TE that we haven't had forever.

    Check his track record and compair it to ANYONES in the league the last 4 to 5 years and try to give me a better GM in the draft. FIVE solid starters and potential Pro-Bowlers out of SIX is GREAT, I'll take MR T over anyone in the NFL.
    awesome right? Keller was 08* though. i see what silk is sayin'. my take is this is a critical draft for the jets in my opinion; yes we have a extremely solid young core intact but no team can truly afford to blow a draft. With the Jets, an impact rookie can be the difference. But even so depth, mininally, should provided by the draft.

    However, I believe the spider is referencing the fact that the jets are moving through free agency and the off-season in general with guise. The draft is vital but let's not ignore the other aspects of the game including maneuvering throughout the draft itself. It's an aggressive approach but the Jets have not had a 'modest' offseason' since 2005.
    Last edited by WeskerLogan; 03-30-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: *moving*, *maneuvering throughout*.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cedar Grove, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,759
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    I agree with you that the team hasn't as many holes to fill as previous year's and is strong right now - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The other teams want to win just as much as the Jets, and will not be lying down during draft day or the season, for that matter. If we start getting lackadaisical and complacent now then inevitably all the good work up to this point will start coming undone. I believe the mindset of champion teams is to do everything with excellence 100%, unrelenting.

    As well, injuries/suspensions during the season are a fact of life in the NFL, we still need to stockpile talent for depth particularly on the DL, WR, OL, S etc. Also if we draft duds then valuable, finite $$$ is tied up in guaranteed money due to salary cap restrictions. Even Woody would get turned off doing that.

    If we start getting lazy and indulgent, content with whatever we get then we really deserve the ignominious title of SOJ's - the very thing we are striving to discard. If so, we should only blame ourselves. I for one, never want hear the accursed phrase again on draft day.

    As other posters have mentioned we need a strong draft, and an infusion of fresh, motivated talent to push us over the top to the SB.

    Take us to the promised land!!
    agreed but this team and front office seem focused

  20. #20
    my thoughts exactly. besides, missing even one draft can have serious consequences going forward (are you listening bellichicken?). the draft is the only place where they can reliably get players who will fit under the cap.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    If we draft well, that could put us over the edge to getting to the Super Bowl.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us