Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Harris' New Contract now has a precedent

Hall Of Fame
    look, none of them are going anywhere unless some serious bridges are burned. Revis EVEN, Harris EVEN, Mangold EVEN, Ferugson 2-1. They're not going anywhere.

Ryans is just as good if not better than Harris so, yes, this is probably very close to the contract that we would have to give to Harris to keep him here.

He's a RFA after 2010, so we don't have to worry about this until after the 2011 season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3542198]Ryans is just as good if not better than Harris so, yes, this is probably very close to the contract that we would have to give to Harris to keep him here.

He's a RFA after 2010, so we don't have to worry about this until after the 2011 season.[/QUOTE]

I thought that under the rules of FA without a CBA players have to wait 6 years before they can become unrestricted FA's.:huh:

If that is the case, there is no rush, other than getting most of the extension in while there is no cap to deal with.

[QUOTE=Gas2No99;3541830]+1,000,000,000
    :yes:

Harris is younger and cheaper than Scott. . . . . did I mention BETTER?[/QUOTE]

+1!

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3542361]I thought that under the rules of FA without a CBA players have to wait 6 years before they can become unrestricted FA's.:huh:

If that is the case, there is no rush, other than getting most of the extension in while there is no cap to deal with.[/QUOTE]

That's the rule this year....

We don't know what the rule will be in future seasons until it's negotiated into the new CBA. But most people generally assume that it'll go back to the way it's been in the past as they'll surely want to keep our current salary cap system in place.

But in theory, if a new CBA is agreed on, and things go back to how they were prior to this year, Harris would be a UFA as he won't be under contract.

My guess is they'll sit down and start negotiating these deals in the dead period between the draft and training camp (Namely Harris and Mangold, possibly Edwards, Cromartie, and Leon, although I think they're on a wait and see with them. I'm not sure there's any rush to get a Revis deal done since we have the options on his contract). People are just impatient. Right now, the team has to worry about their 2010 roster and research some 300 draft prospects.

And my understanding is that there are limitations to how much a team can front-load a deal. People have this assumption that we can cram 30 million of a 40 million contract in the first year and have him dirt cheap for the next 5 years after that but it won't work, and even if it could work, such a contract is a holdout waiting to happen in a year or two.

I don't think Harris will get a contract like this or whatever Willis gets. Willis is in a class by himself anyway. Harris is a solid player, but I don't think other teams see him the same as we do.

Out of Mangold, Revis, and D'Brick... Harris would be the one we don't keep... unfortunately for me since I just bought an authentic Harris jersey last year :(

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3542037]look, none of them are going anywhere unless some serious bridges are burned. Revis EVEN, Harris EVEN, Mangold EVEN, Ferugson 2-1. They're not going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Jets will make Revis one of the highest paid players in the NFL... he aint going anywhere unless he absolutely wants to get outta dodge.

The fate of our future lies in retaining these guys. We need to keep 3 outta 4... sadly, Harris is the easiest to replace.

It scares me that we haven't seen anything as far as extending these guys this offseason.

All League
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3542788]I don't think Harris will get a contract like this or whatever Willis gets. Willis is in a class by himself anyway. [B] Harris is a solid player, but I don't think other teams see him the same as we do.[/B]

Out of Mangold, Revis, and D'Brick... Harris would be the one we don't keep... unfortunately for me since I just bought an authentic Harris jersey last year :([/QUOTE]

he was voted an all pro, so it seems like hes pretty highly respected. And I remember last year when there was trade talks between jets and broncos for marshall, the broncos wanted david harris, but jets refused to trade him.

[QUOTE=SackDancer99;3542788]I don't think Harris will get a contract like this or whatever Willis gets. Willis is in a class by himself anyway. Harris is a solid player, but I don't think other teams see him the same as we do.

Out of Mangold, Revis, and D'Brick... Harris would be the one we don't keep... unfortunately for me since I just bought an authentic Harris jersey last year :([/QUOTE]

Look at the contract Bart Scott got, Harris is absolutely getting a contract in that range. Willis will probably raise the bar even more. And I don't see why they can't pay everyone....if anybody is going in the next few years, it'll be the veterans like Ellis, Faneca, Woody who will eventually be replaced with young rookies (And keep in mind we already freed up some $$$ by letting TJ and Rhodes go).

Hall Of Fame
    Anyone wondering why we haven't been resigning players?

It worries me - a whole lot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;3542849]Anyone wondering why we haven't been resigning players?

It worries me - a whole lot.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't worry you til August. If we approach the season without having any extensions, I'd be a bit nervous. Nothing, in all probability, will get done before the Draft.

we should extend all of these guys this year to take advantage of the uncapped season.

The ILB market was set by the Jets when they gave Bart Scott that insane guarantee. Its no surprise that Ryans got what he did since its essentially equal to Scott's deal. Willis will set the market after that once he gets a new deal done. Ive been a bit surprised at the Jets lack of activity with their players, but from what I understand most teams do not want to give up potential 4 year RFA rights on a player, which could be something in the new CBA. Paying Harris now eliminates two potential years of a low cost player and I really think the flop of the PSLs and higher payrolls of the last two years have made the Jets tighten the purse strings. Their spending is way off of the last two years from a cap standpoint and from a cash standpoint its probably way way down.

Anyway I think Harris will be the odd man out when it comes to extending the name players. You simply cant invest a potential 100 million in two ILB's on a team. They made the decision that Scott was the big money guy last year, not Harris. LBs are one of the easiest positions to find in football which probably makes Harris expendable. My guess is the Jets look at Harris as someone they will keep (unless he just goes nuts on the field this year) if they can keep his big money from kicking in until 2012. At that point they can decide to walk away from Bart. I just cant see them putting big money for Harris in 2011.

[QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;3542849]Anyone wondering why we haven't been resigning players?

The Jets dont really have anyone to take back so its not a big worry. The only person that has surprised me a little has been Marques Douglas since I thought they would have wanted him in their offseason program as a veteran influence. Letting Wallace walk was also a surprise, but thats the Jets budget this year. James Dearth makes too much money and I dont think the Jets want to pay him to do nothing but long snap, especially after a poor year last year. Ryan Fowler is a dime a dozen guy that can be found in September. Jay Feely was average last year or slightly below. Folk is simply cheaper. Larry Izzo is done.

I think he meant our own players, and like I've said plenty of times, people just need to be patient. Right now the Front Office is busy sifting through Free Agents and doing Draft Preparation. We won't look to lock our guys up until after the draft, when there's a dead period.

No new contracts have been given because it is very likely that sometime in 2011 the amount of money being paid to the players will be slashed by 18%.

Any contracts given now will be based on the current cap. Iíll be surprised if any of the Jets Big contracts are extended until the CBA situation is resolved

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3542037]look, none of them are going anywhere unless some serious bridges are burned. Revis EVEN, Harris EVEN, Mangold EVEN, Ferugson 2-1. They're not going anywhere.[/QUOTE]

If Tanny intends on signing that core I will be extremely impressed. As much as I would hate to see Harris moved, Ferguson needs to be signed long term IMO. Ferguson is still filling out his frame and has improved year after year. All pro LT's are much more difficult to find than ILBs.

My bet is Edwards will not be re-signed and Harris or Cro will be tagged. If the odd man out is Harris, Tanny will look to deal. If Cro doesnt have the type of season Rex expects him to, there will be no tender on the table.

Get the Hitman signed Tanny!!!!!!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3543023]I think he meant our own players, and like I've said plenty of times, people just need to be patient. Right now the Front Office is busy sifting through Free Agents and doing Draft Preparation. We won't look to lock our guys up until after the draft, when there's a dead period.[/QUOTE]

That makes more sense. I agree 100% about being patient. Remember a deal signed today is basically the same as a deal signed the last week of the preseason. You still have plenty of time after that if you want to as well. I think we are on somewhat of a budget this year and the Jets will want to wait to see how things shake out with not only seat sales but the season itself. The last thing the Jets want to do is go out and spend a ton of money and then get sub-par efforts from their players. In most cases its always better to have a guy playing for money rather than playing with money. I know Revis will definitely be an exception to that rule, but the Jets have to be somewhat scared after the big money they gave to Rhodes in 2008 only to see him completely tail off.

Regardless of how the 30% rule works and whether or not the Jets are cutting costs, consider that next year we 15 players whose contracts expire including Nick Mangold, David Harris, Antonio Cromartie, Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington, and Shaun Ellis. That list does not even include Darelle Revis and D'Brickshaw Ferguson (whose contracts also would need to be extended). Simply put, the Jets are going to need to start resigning these players this offseason (starting with Mangold). Otherwise, this team that has the look of a super bowl contender could turn into a non competetive team just like that.

And if you think the Jets are having a hard time sellling tickets now (be it from PSLs or the raise in ticket prices), imagine if they managed to piss away these players :eek: In the end, I have to trust the Jets organization knows what they have and need to build on.

All League

Price for Harris might go even HIGHER!

Mods feel free to tack onto the previous thread on precedent for Harris' Contract.

Beason was in the same draft as Harris & Willis being drafted between both of them at the end of the 1st round.

Harris is a leader through his actions & play, but seems like the floor for our LB crew is getting higher and higher:(
    They HAVE to restructure Gholston or cut his ass (unless he breaks the sack record, DOUBTFUL) to justify him taking up so mach salary in regards to production.
    per roto:

[B]Panthers MLB Jon Beason believes he'll end up with a bigger contract than the six-year, $48 million deal recently signed by DeMeco Ryans.
    [/B]
    "I don't have a pen and a notebook or a tape recorder, but let me ask you a question," Beason said. "Do you think I'm in the same class as DeMeco Ryans, or better?" Signed through 2011, Beason won't be getting a new deal anytime soon. [B]He believes he and Patrick Willis will be tied at the hip on contract talks[/B]: "Whether he gets a deal first, or it happens to be me, the other one's going to be right behind him."

Source: Charlotte Observer
    Related: DeMeco Ryans, Patrick Willis