Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Harris' New Contract now has a precedent

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris does not strike me as the type of player that will go overboard with the money. I think he is more than happy with the Jets organization and Rex.

Now is he gonna give us a discount......helk no. I do think he is one of the true players that love THE GAME and are happy to be playing it.

I can honestly see him taking a deal like Ryans and not worrying about what Beason and Willis will make. He is in a lot better system and with a team that has a chance to be good for many years and a CHAMPIONSHIP team.

He will be here a LONG TIME!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Area52;3543508]Harris does not strike me as the type of player that will go overboard with the money. I think he is more than happy with the Jets organization and Rex.

Now is he gonna give us a discount......helk no. I do think he is one of the true players that love THE GAME and are happy to be playing it.

I can honestly see him taking a deal like Ryans and not worrying about what Beason and Willis will make. He is in a lot better system and with a team that has a chance to be good for many years and a CHAMPIONSHIP team.

He will be here a LONG TIME!!![/QUOTE]

While I agree with your assumption about Harris, he doesn't make that choice.

You can say the same about Leon, that's why they have AGENTS who DO CARE what Beason and Willlis will make, that's their job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3543512]While I agree with your assumption about Harris, he doesn't make that choice.

You can say the same about Leon, that's why they have AGENTS who DO CARE what Beason and Willlis will make, that's their job.[/QUOTE]

I hear what your saying but the player has a HUGE say or bearing in the contract. In other words if the player is a me first....total dickhead....than you can beat your sweet arse the contract is going to be tops for his position.

So what I was implying is that with a good agent, not named Keels, the agent will discuss this with the player and as long as it is adequate for the service the player provides for the team.......it's a DONE DEAL.

Harris' contract extension will not get ugly at all......I would bank on that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't count on David coming cheap. He's a Grand Rapids boy and he's going to bring it home. Money is a thing.

David - get the bank son.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) We already set the market for ILB's when we gave Bart Scott a 6 year, 48 million dollar contract himself. Ryans didn't exactly re-define the pay scale for the position here.

2) And I love Harris, but Beason and Willis are seen as better players then he is, at least nationally. Beason is a 2 time Pro-Bowler, 2 time All-Pro in 3 seasons. Willis has made Pro-Bowl and All-Pro in all 3 seasons. Harris doesn't have the resume to demand the same kinda coin that these guys will get.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 100% in favor of players maximizing their value, but comments like Beason's leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Id rather a player not focus on the benchmark contract for his position and state that he's going to get more than that as he's a better player.

Considering that he's signed through 2011, if he wants a new deal with all that upfront money, he better consider some type of a discount, otherwise he's playing the next two years under his rookie deal.

I'd much rather have a guy speak like Mangold who said something to the effect of "I hope the team takes care of me, I've done a good job here."

A very small deal, but just rubbed me the wrong way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3543541]I am 100% in favor of players maximizing their value, but comments like Beason's leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Id rather a player not focus on the benchmark contract for his position and state that he's going to get more than that as he's a better player.

I'd much rather have a guy speak like Mangold who said something to the effect of "I hope the team takes care of me, I've done a good job here."

[B]A very small deal, but just rubbed me the wrong way[/B].[/QUOTE]

It's a valid point though. This is what makes a player liked or hated by his fan base. Does he have loyalty to the company (just like in any other business) - and to a degree fans - or is he a guy who only cares about himself and maximizing his payday (which is also understandable considering the small window of an NFL career).

I think if you don't turn off the fan base/team too much, you can eventually have a longer career AFTER playing in terms of broadcasting of front office/coaching position. Let alone perks of being a hometown hero. You think Chrebet has to pay for a beer in LI, Jersey, or NYC? the Mick never did, killed him sadly:(, RIP.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3543561]It's a valid point though. This is what makes a player liked or hated by his fan base. Does he have loyalty to the company (just like in any other business) - and to a degree fans - or is he a guy who only cares about himself and maximizing his payday (which is also understandable considering the small window of an NFL career).

I think if you don't turn off the fan base/team too much, you can eventually have a longer career AFTER playing in terms of broadcasting of front office/coaching position. Let alone perks of being a hometown hero. You think Chrebet has to pay for a beer in LI, Jersey, or NYC? the Mick never did, killed him sadly:(, RIP.[/QUOTE]

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if Beason and the Panthers are talking extension and, not surprisingly, the Panthers have a considerably lower opinion of what he's worth long term. I can see then where these comments come from - doesn't make them OK in my mind, but at least they're explainable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3543541]I am 100% in favor of players maximizing their value, but comments like Beason's leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Id rather a player not focus on the benchmark contract for his position and state that he's going to get more than that as he's a better player.

Considering that he's signed through 2011, if he wants a new deal with all that upfront money, he better consider some type of a discount, otherwise he's playing the next two years under his rookie deal.

A very small deal, but just rubbed me the wrong way.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more Crash and I am not saying Harris will be CHEAP but I was meaning that we will probably not hear much about it until we hear...

[B]The Jets have quietly agreed on a contract extension with David Harris locking him up until 2015, a ? year deal for ? (48-54 mil) IMHO[/B]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

A very small deal, but just rubbed me the wrong way.[/QUOTE]

+1

Especially when you consider the national unemployment rate is 10%, Michigan around 15%. Get your money, but do it with class.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the contracts that Beason and Ryans get will necessarily dictate what Harris will get... especially if he is extended before hitting free agency. There is no reason to think Harris will require that he is the highest paid LB in the league. I doubt he'll get as much as Bart got.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3543532]1) We already set the market for ILB's when we gave Bart Scott a 6 year, 48 million dollar contract himself. Ryans didn't exactly re-define the pay scale for the position here.

2) And I love Harris, but Beason and Willis are seen as better players then he is, at least nationally. Beason is a 2 time Pro-Bowler, 2 time All-Pro in 3 seasons. Willis has made Pro-Bowl and All-Pro in all 3 seasons. Harris doesn't have the resume to demand the same kinda coin that these guys will get.[/QUOTE]

+1. I know we love our players, but you have to give valid comparisons when talking expectations about contracts. The fact is David Harris has never been to a Pro Bowl. Hes never been all pro. He may be as good as these other players but it will be very hard to prove that to a team and get that kind of money. My theory on Harris is that his worth is going to be valued somewhere just below the line of Lofa Tatupu and Jon Vilma. My guess is the 6 million per year mark is where Harris will rank, assuming he plays well again this year.

I think we only have two market setters on this team. Nick Mangold will be the highest paid interior lineman in the NFL and Revis is going to be the highest paid CB. They will exceed the highest paid guys at their positions and with each new name that signs their value goes up. The other guys on our team are not going to be effected by top guys signing deals.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3543917]+1. I know we love our players, but you have to give valid comparisons when talking expectations about contracts. The fact is David Harris has never been to a Pro Bowl. Hes never been all pro. He may be as good as these other players but it will be very hard to prove that to a team and get that kind of money. My theory on Harris is that his worth is going to be valued somewhere just below the line of Lofa Tatupu and Jon Vilma. My guess is the 6 million per year mark is where Harris will rank, assuming he plays well again this year.

I think we only have two market setters on this team. Nick Mangold will be the highest paid interior lineman in the NFL and Revis is going to be the highest paid CB. They will exceed the highest paid guys at their positions and with each new name that signs their value goes up. The other guys on our team are not going to be effected by top guys signing deals.[/QUOTE]

He's alive

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3543917]+1. I know we love our players, but you have to give valid comparisons when talking expectations about contracts. The fact is David Harris has never been to a Pro Bowl. [B]Hes never been all pro[/B]. He may be as good as these other players but it will be very hard to prove that to a team and get that kind of money. My theory on Harris is that his worth is going to be valued somewhere just below the line of Lofa Tatupu and Jon Vilma. My guess is the 6 million per year mark is where Harris will rank, assuming he plays well again this year.

I think we only have two market setters on this team. Nick Mangold will be the highest paid interior lineman in the NFL and Revis is going to be the highest paid CB. They will exceed the highest paid guys at their positions and with each new name that signs their value goes up. The other guys on our team are not going to be effected by top guys signing deals.[/QUOTE]

He was second team all pro last year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SackDancer99;3543576]I don't think the contracts that Beason and Ryans get will necessarily dictate what Harris will get... especially if he is extended before hitting free agency. There is no reason to think Harris will require that he is the highest paid LB in the league. I doubt he'll get as much as Bart got.[/QUOTE]

Not speaking as a patriot fan but just a fan here. Why? you dont think he is a better player than Scott? He is. I would think he would be more likely to take less money from the jets if they were not paying Scott so much. He is considered the superior player around the league, what are the jets going to do ask thim to take less than the guy who is not as good playing on the side of him? I can see himtakeing less money and a the jets asking him to take less money than Beason/Ryans/Willis, if Scott was not getting paid the same amount as those three. You cant ask a competior to swallow his pride and get paid less than the guy on the side of him when his contract is due.

I am sure that it does not bother him (much) that Scott is getting 4X his pay, that is the way the league is set up, you get paid when your free or soon to be, but when he is ready the jets or some other team will pony up the money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;3544231]He was second team all pro last year[/QUOTE]

I know you're just correcting Jason, but that resume pales in comparison to that of Beason and Willis already.

(Even if he is every bit as good).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3544424]I know you're just correcting Jason, but that resume pales in comparison to that of Beason and Willis already.

(Even if he is every bit as good).[/QUOTE]

Would Jets fans be upset if Harris was the 3rd highest paid LB in the league behind these two? Because it sounds like most think he's damn close to these two if he has another steller year.