Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Harris' New Contract now has a precedent

All League

David Harris' New Contract now has a precedent

Houston has extended MLB DeMeco Ryans and this could be a huge factor into what David Harris will ask for in contract negotiations this upcoming year. Ryans does have 2 pro-bowls over Harris & twice as many tackles, but they are on the same level in most people's opinions along w/Beason & Willis.

FActor in we also have All-Pros Mangold and Revis w/Pro-Bowler D'Brick also due, Jets' payroll is gonna get tight. I have faith Tanny can work it out

per roto:

DeMeco Ryans-LB-Texans Mar. 30 - 5:08 pm et

Texans signed ILB DeMeco Ryans to a [B]six-year, $48 million extension[/B]. The deal was first reported by beat writer John McClain, though ESPN's Adam Schefter had the particulars.

The contract includes a [B]whopping $21.75M guaranteed and $26.3M in the first three years, including a $7.5M signing bonus and $7M base salary in 2010[/B]. A two-time Pro Bowler and captain of the Texans' improving defense, Ryans rivals Jon Beason as the second-best young MLB in the game behind Patrick Willis. The 25-year-old did well to match Karlos Dansby's guaranteed money with the Dolphins. He and Brian Cushing should be one of the top linebacking tandems for years to come.

Source: Houston Chronicle on Twitter

All Pro
    NOT GOOD :(

Jets Insider VIP
    why not?

Harris is worth way more

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;3541784]why not?

Harris is worth way more[/QUOTE]

Cuz it's a sh*t-ton of money that we have to shell out!

All League
    [QUOTE=sg3;3541784]why not?

Harris is worth way more[/QUOTE]

Well, if talks concern production and honors, Harris ISN"T worth more. But he will get something in that area, which is still pretty steep for a MLB. Throw in the others we have to sign, Woody will be doling out some $ . . . ie, don;'t expect those "recently reduced" Jets Stadium tix to stay that way too long:D

With Kerry gone that frees up a lot of money. This also could be Damien Woody's last year as a Jet as could Shaun Ellis. Still think we could save our salary cap for next year if we cut Gholston. Maybe by midseason we can do SOMETHING with him.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;3541789]Well, if talks concern production and honors, Harris ISN"T worth more. But he will get something in that area, which is still pretty steep for a MLB. Throw in the others we have to sign, Woody will be doling out some $ . . . ie, don;'t expect those "recently reduced" Jets Stadium tix to stay that way too long:D[/QUOTE]

Harris is in demand. He'll get his.

So let's say for the sake of argument that Harris gets 6 for 48 million. We'd have 88 million tied up in our ILB. That's a lot of coin.

All League
    [QUOTE=SyracuseJet;3541801]So let's say for the sake of argument that Harris gets 6 for 48 million. We'd have 88 million tied up in our ILB. That's a lot of coin.[/QUOTE]

RIGHT! and MLB is usually one of the cheaper positions to fill, especially in a 3-4 defense.

I agree Harris will get his, I just hope it's with the Jets. But as stated earlier, we have a LOT of $Coin$ tied up in LBers.

Patrick Willis will also get a new contract before Harris

i've been saying it for a while... so many young bucks are open... it's an uncapped year, Jets are signing no one... im concerned.

Revis and Mangold should be signed by now. JMO this is all blow back from the PSL stuff... they are in full on cheap mode... even saved money signing LT instead of Thomas Jones.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3541810]Patrick Willis will also get a new contract before Harris

[B]i've been saying it for a while... so many young bucks are open... it's an uncapped year, Jets are signing no one... im concerned.

Revis and Mangold should be signed by now.[/B] JMO this is all blow back from the PSL stuff... they are in full on cheap mode... even saved money signing LT instead of Thomas Jones.[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of the 30% rule?

[QUOTE=bitonti;3541810]Patrick Willis will also get a new contract before Harris

i've been saying it for a while... so many young bucks are open... it's an uncapped year, Jets are signing no one... im concerned.

Revis and Mangold should be signed by now. JMO this is all blow back from the PSL stuff... they are in full on cheap mode... even saved money signing LT instead of Thomas Jones.[/QUOTE]

It's not by choice though. I'm sure if the Jets were allowed to they'd be big spender in free agency. It's still early in the offseason

There's a chance that Harris is the guy we let go. That would suck balls, but if there's an easy player to replace it's the ILB.

All League
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3541821]There's a chance that Harris is the guy we let go. That would suck balls, but if there's an easy player to replace it's the ILB.[/QUOTE]

Rather get rid of Scott and keep Harris

All League
    [QUOTE=Woody56;3541825]Rather get rid of Scott and keep Harris[/QUOTE]

+1,000,000,000
    :yes:

Harris is younger and cheaper than Scott. . . . . did I mention BETTER?

Almost nobody negotiates long-term extensions in March to players already under contract. Right now teams are concerned about sifting through Free Agency and spending all of their extra resources preparing for the draft. It's that dead period after the draft and before/during training camp where we'll look to hash out these deals.

[QUOTE=Woody56;3541825]Rather get rid of Scott and keep Harris[/QUOTE]

So would I, but Scott's a very, very good player for us too. He allows Harris to do what Harris does.

If we made a big trade, I wouldn't be surprised to see a package built around Harris. I don't necessarily mean this offseason, since I don't this this draft doesn't really offer any solutions to replace him.

Jets Insider VIP
    no need to get rid of either

Revis and Mangold should be signed by now. JMO this is all blow back from the PSL stuff... they are in full on cheap mode... even saved money signing LT instead of Thomas Jones.[/QUOTE]

IMO the Jets, and most teams are waiting to see what happens with the lock out, The owners are asking for an 18% reduction in the players cut. I think they are dug in on this and why there will be a lock out which the owners will win I the long run.

To give big contracts out now with a possible major cap reduction on the way would be nuts.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=newjakecity;3541818]Ever hear of the 30% rule?[/QUOTE]

yes but there are ways to get around the 30% rule, which is base salary....roster bonuses, etc....

Mike Devito's agent explained it to me the day Boise State had their pro-day (he reps Richie Brockel) last week...it made great sense when he explained it to me- hell if I can repeat it....