Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets visit S Major Wright

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets visit S Major Wright

"Former Florida Gators safety Major Wright, who many felt declared for the 2010 NFL Draft too early but is nonetheless receiving plenty of attention, has already completed at least three private workouts. Wright has been visited in Gainesville, FL, by the New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. The Patriots and Browns took a comprehensive look at many former Gators during their respective visits."

www.onlygators.com

Physical, good build, great in run support- fills alleys well and a big hitter. Little stiff in coverage though and ball skills need work- dude would rather decapitate someone than go pick 6(I've seen it numerous times).

Interesting all teams with 3-4 schemes were mentioned here...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one bad MoFo. I would love to see him on the Jets, make people think twice bout coming across the middle..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice prospect. Should be there at 61.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Nice prospect. Should be there at 61.
    and in round three...and likely round four....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    +1

The safeties I see going in the second round:

Nate Allen
    Morgan Burnett - Maybe

Maybe Chad Jones, but I doubt it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I prefer my safeties in the first day to be two-dimensional. 3 sounds about right...

He really should have stayed but I don't blame him for going since Meyer stupidly rotated Will Hill in last year just because he was his 5-star baby from '08.

Dude admitted to taking plays off last year, but he seems to finally be reaching his potential this spring.

I'm really excited to watch this UF team- no one's expecting anything from them and they're LOADED with talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Yeah, I prefer my safeties in the first day to be two-dimensional. 3 sounds about right...

He really should have stayed but I don't blame him for going since Meyer stupidly rotated Will Hill in last year just because he was his 5-star baby from '08.

Dude admitted to taking plays off last year, but he seems to finally be reaching his potential this spring.

I'm really excited to watch this UF team- no one's expecting anything from them and they're LOADED with talent.
    he could go later than three....as you rightly alluded his game is moving south....if you roll the dice and hit with him, you win big....a fraction of the player he was in 2008....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he could go later than three....as you rightly alluded his game is moving south....if you roll the dice and hit with him, you win big....a fraction of the player he was in 2008....
    Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was mental though. Like I also alluded to, a proven starter couldn't have been happy undeservedly losing snaps to a clearly inferior SO.

Nice player for the Jets' "46" packages, I hope they don't think they can man up slot guys with him though or expect some fantastic ball-hawk in CF.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was mental though. Like I also alluded to, a proven starter couldn't have been happy undeservedly losing snaps to a clearly inferior SO.

Nice player for the Jets' "46" packages, I hope they don't think they can man up slot guys with him though or expect some fantastic ball-hawk in CF.
    nice player if he gets his game back up to speed....the way it stands now I could see an opponent getting down the field for a 40 yard completion and Wright standing on the field, looking around and shrugging his shoulders....and I was big on the guy prior to last season...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice player if he gets his game back up to speed....the way it stands now I could see an opponent getting down the field for a 40 yard completion and Wright standing on the field, looking around and shrugging his shoulders....and I was big on the guy prior to last season...
    You've probably answered this before but I'm curious as to which safeties you like after Eric Berry and Earl Thomas? (I get the impression you're not a Taylor Mays fan).

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by operaguy View Post
    You've probably answered this before but I'm curious as to which safeties you like after Eric Berry and Earl Thomas? (I get the impression you're not a Taylor Mays fan).
    Kurt Coleman/Ohio State- literally a lesser version of Ed Reed....
    TJ Ward/Oregon....
    Rashad Jones/UGA if he gets it together between the ears...

Dorian Porch/Va Tech as a UDFA sleeper....

btw operaposter- I left you a message on the hotties forum in the opera babes thread...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give him to Rex to work his magic

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kurt Coleman/Ohio State- literally a lesser version of Ed Reed....
    TJ Ward/Oregon....
    Rashad Jones/UGA if he gets it together between the ears...

Dorian Porch/Va Tech as a UDFA sleeper....

btw operaposter- I left you a message on the hotties forum in the opera babes thread...
    Saw the message glad to see someone else here has good taste in women, I intend on an encore performance soon. I'm expecting to meet one of the women I posted on the first page of the thread, maybe I'll post pics with her. Then again if I think I have a shot with her I'm going to try come across a bit more professional. She just got out of an abusive relationship with an Italian Tenor, so she's ripe for the picking.

Another question --As of right now, between which rounds do you think Kurt Coleman eventually goes?
    Last edited by operaguy; 03-31-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    this could be good value for the Jets in the 4th.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by operaguy View Post
    Saw the message glad to see someone else here has good taste in women, I intend on an encore performance soon. I'm expecting to meet one of the women I posted on the first page of the thread, maybe I'll post pics with her. Then again if I think I have a shot with her I'm going to try come across a bit more professional. She just got out of an abusive relationship with an Italian Tenor, so she's ripe for the picking.

Another question --As of right now, between which rounds do you think Kurt Coleman eventually goes?
    I didn't say I like the chicks, though some of them were pretty hot, I just enjoy your style of posting.....it makes some posters head spin and infuriates others...

as far as Coleman- 3rd...maybe second but as much as I like the guy I don't see it.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wright is definitely a great athlete but I think there are a lot of solid late round prospects in the draft for safety. Not only Rolle (limited upside but should be solid role player) but I like this guy Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. Ability to play corner and safety, real fast, and somewhat under the radar, but moving up lately....his espn report is below.

Fluidity: Shows good flexibility and stays low out of backpedal. Extremely loose hips and changes directions with ease. Displays strong range when lined up at the safety position. Also appears to have the size and ability to turn and run if lined up as a press corner at the next level.

Closing Burst Smooth transition out of backpedal. Does a good job of sticking foot in the ground allowing him to plant and drive quickly. Shows extra gear when closing on the ball. Adequate recovery speed to make up ground when caught in trail position.

Ball Skills "Appears to be his best asset. Turns, locates, and play the ball extremely well. Takes proper angles to the point and is aggressive attacking the ball. Above-average hands and can pull down the tough interception. Shows ability to create after making interception. "

Instincts/Mental Toughness "Is called a corner in the IUP defensive scheme but mainly lines up at the safety position. Will take time to adjust to understanding splits, routes, and concepts if used as a press-corner at the next level. Does a good job of reading QB's eyes when lined up at safety position allowing him to get a good jump on the ball. An emotional player on the field that plays with confidence and a bit of a swager. Can be overaggressive at times playing against lower level competition and will need to show more discipline against NFL caliber level competition."

Run Support "Diagnosis run quickly and fills the alleys with good overall angles. Possesses long arms and is a strong wrap-up tackler in the open field. Fights off blocks well. However, needs to show more aggression and physicality upon contact on occasion. "

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I shouldn't consider National Football Post as a scouting reference since they have Wright ranked higher than Earl Thomas and Mays.

A thin safety prospect who doesn't quite look as big as his numbers, Wright showcases a good first step in coverage and has the ability to quickly click and close on the ball. He takes good angles toward the receiver, wraps up well on contact and generates enough power to disengage the ball from his man. But he isn't a consistent downhill tackler in the run game. Again, he gets up to speed quickly and generates good striking power but doesn't always take proper angles when asked to close in space. He has a tendency to lunge into tackles and fails to consistently wrap up and keep his legs in front of him. Wright can be shed/slipped on contact. He's rangy vs. the pass game, does a great job of getting out of his breaks quickly and reaching full speed and can track the ball sideline to sideline. He's an ideal center field-type defender, but he isn't the most instinctive defender and at times struggles to diagnose plays and locate the ball. He will not consistently get good jumps on the ball and can be slow to read and react to plays in both the run and pass game.

He isn't a ball-hawk and is more of a man defender in the secondary. He needs to do a better job locating the ball and playing the throw. Wright has a tendency to get locked onto his man and would rather go for the hit than play the ball. He leaves his share of turnovers on the field. He has some man-to-man ability, possesses good physicality and ball skills vs. tight ends in coverage and can close on the ball. But he struggles to remain balanced when asked to open his hips and isn't a guy who will be able to kick into the slot and cover wideouts at the next level. Overall, he displays great range and striking ability in the pass game but needs to become a more consistent tackler and do a better job deciphering information and finding the ball.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ml&position=fs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    nvm
    Last edited by gangGREENinsider; 03-31-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't say I like the chicks, though some of them were pretty hot, I just enjoy your style of posting.....it makes some posters head spin and infuriates others...

as far as Coleman- 3rd...maybe second but as much as I like the guy I don't see it.....
    Just the same, your post speaks to a refined sensibility which other members of JI can only aspire to.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't consider National Football Post as a scouting reference since they have Wright ranked higher than Earl Thomas and Mays.

A thin safety prospect who doesn't quite look as big as his numbers, Wright showcases a good first step in coverage and has the ability to quickly click and close on the ball. He takes good angles toward the receiver, wraps up well on contact and generates enough power to disengage the ball from his man. But he isn't a consistent downhill tackler in the run game. Again, he gets up to speed quickly and generates good striking power but doesn't always take proper angles when asked to close in space. He has a tendency to lunge into tackles and fails to consistently wrap up and keep his legs in front of him. Wright can be shed/slipped on contact. He's rangy vs. the pass game, does a great job of getting out of his breaks quickly and reaching full speed and can track the ball sideline to sideline. He's an ideal center field-type defender, but he isn't the most instinctive defender and at times struggles to diagnose plays and locate the ball. He will not consistently get good jumps on the ball and can be slow to read and react to plays in both the run and pass game.

He isn't a ball-hawk and is more of a man defender in the secondary. He needs to do a better job locating the ball and playing the throw. Wright has a tendency to get locked onto his man and would rather go for the hit than play the ball. He leaves his share of turnovers on the field. He has some man-to-man ability, possesses good physicality and ball skills vs. tight ends in coverage and can close on the ball. But he struggles to remain balanced when asked to open his hips and isn't a guy who will be able to kick into the slot and cover wideouts at the next level. Overall, he displays great range and striking ability in the pass game but needs to become a more consistent tackler and do a better job deciphering information and finding the ball.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ml&position=fs

this report reads like;

he's fat but skinny...
    smart but stupid...
    fast but slow...