Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want mays

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    LMAO....it was a rhetorical question yet only a brainless turd like you would answer to further display your ignorance...

yeh- Darnell Bing didn't have off the charts "athleticism"... 6-2/227 and a 4.42 at his pro-day....

like Mays they were all overstuffed college safety's who could only play downhill....i look forward to your next response so you can embarrass yourself further...
    I wanna see the scouts who think Taylor Mays is as good a prospect as Darnell Bing. You are absolutlely clueless. You need to watch more NFL Network because you are very quickly losing all your credibility as a half-arsed amateur scout. You need to TIVO more or visit more mock draft sites or whatever you spend most of your day doing besides listening to tools on the radio.

Mays is not the optimal player to have in coverage but he loves contact and that is the kind of player Rex wants on his defense. Rex made Eric Smith look decent in coverage he can do the same with Mays who is 10X the player and athlete.

I could give a sh*t what your stupid Ricky Martin loving ass thinks.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO- like I said, further embarrass yourself.....and right on cue.....

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I wanna see the scouts who think Taylor Mays is as good a prospect as Darnell Bing.
    er- didn't say that...nor did I come close to saying that....

You are absolutlely clueless. You need to watch more NFL Network because you are very quickly losing all your credibility as a half-arsed amateur scout. You need to TIVO more or visit more mock draft sites or whatever you spend most of your day doing besides listening to tools on the radio.
    yes- i'm losing credibility....you on the other are gaining credibility with every post...

Mays is not the optimal player to have in coverage but he loves contact and that is the kind of player Rex wants on his defense. Rex made Eric Smith look decent in coverage he can do the same with Mays who is 10X the player and athlete.
    right- so lets draft a guy who can't cover, can't change direction, can't backpedal and can't do anything but move in a straight line in round one....

I could give a sh*t what your stupid Ricky Martin loving ass thinks.
    like I said earlier- you are gaining credibility with every post....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno let's avoid drafting a guy who is an aggressive football player who loves contact and is freakishly athletic and comes from a program that produced Lott, Carrier, and Troy Polumalu because closet Ricky Martin groupie Come Back to NY thinks he can't play in coverage. Meanwhile our current coach got Eric Smith, a guy who totally sucks and is unathletic, to look solid in coverage. Yeah, no way he can make Mays look ok in coverage while he injures Randy Moss and Julian Edelman.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO- the stupidity is non-ending....

I dunno let's avoid drafting a guy who is an aggressive football player who loves contact and is freakishly athletic and comes from a program that produced Lott, Carrier, and Troy Polumalu because closet Ricky Martin groupie Come Back to NY thinks he can't play in coverage.
    and let's see...what did two brain cells VT say just a few posts back??

Mays is not the optimal player to have in coverage but he loves contact and that is the kind of player Rex wants on his defense.
    Mays isn't good in coverage but Rex Ryan was able to turn Eric Smith into a decent Safety in coverage so maybe he might be able to do something with Mays. Call me crazy you Ricky Martin groupie.
    you must really enjoy the abuse after embarrassing yourself post after post after post....

Meanwhile our current coach got Eric Smith, a guy who totally sucks and is unathletic, to look solid in coverage. Yeah, no way he can make Mays look ok in coverage while he injures Randy Moss and Julian Edelman.
    I see- the object is to draft Mays not because he can cover edelman or moss but because he can injure them....sound football strategy....

what a fuqin retard...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polamalu comparisons could lift USC’s Mays

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports 12 hours, 34 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES – The rock star ambience was absent. There were no impromptu meetings between NFL power brokers between drills, and most of the big-name agents were nowhere to be found. Even the sunshine struggled to make an appearance, stifled by endless clouds hanging overhead.

Pro day at the University of Southern California is usually a Mardi Gras of talent, but Wednesday’s festival was more of a one-float parade: safety Taylor Mays … and everyone else. Undoubtedly, it was a far cry from the orgy of talent in the 2008 and 2009 drafts, in which the Trojans produced 12 players who were plucked in the top two rounds (seven in the first, five in the second). That’s not to say USC has lost all that much juice. Wednesday’s event still drew more than 40 coaches, scouts and executives, including Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox and Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

But for most on hand, it was largely an affair for locking in the middle and late sections of draft boards, with the bulk of USC’s draftable talent – as many as five or six players – expected to go after the first two rounds. Nevertheless, three NFL sources said Mays was a lock to go in the top 32 picks, making him the 15th first-round pick to come out of the recruiting classes of former coach Pete Carroll. And the Trojans might squeak in one more, too, with evaluators suggesting that offensive tackle Charles Brown has a chance to sneak into the first round, depending on when the run on offensive linemen occurs.

Yet it’s Mays who has been the most intriguing storyline in recent days, as griping began over his ball skills (the ability to track a ball in the air and make a play on it) and whether he’s a more physical workout freak than football player. Thought to be a top 10 pick had he entered the 2009 draft, Mays’ stock dropped last season, when he produced only one interception – giving him two in his final three seasons at USC – and evaluators questioned whether he had elite ball skills. Then came the scouting combine, when a timing error erased what was believed to be a jaw-dropping 4.31 second 40-yard dash … numbers that were unheard of for a 6-foot-3, 230-pound safety.

“He’s a first-round pick,” said one evaluator Wednesday. “I think he’s going to be a very good NFL player, too.”

Asked to identify some of Mays’ warts, another evaluator said: “He’s got great, great measurables, but the production doesn’t match up with it. He’s not a great face-up tackler. You don’t see the speed on tape all the time – you see glimpses, but it’s not consistently there. But all of that said, he’s going to be a first-round pick. I called [an AFC executive] who watched him at the Senior Bowl, and he thought [Mays] had a great week.”

Mays isn’t the first USC safety to hear some last-second nitpicking. Former Trojan Troy Polamalu(notes) heard it too, when some evaluators questioned whether his instincts were good enough to get the job done consistently in the NFL. Five Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl rings later with the Pittsburgh Steelers, the world has long forgotten any of the knocks that were whispered heading into the 2003 draft.

“Polamalu had one interception his senior year at USC, and that was in a Pete Carroll defense,” said Mays’ agent, Gary Wichard. “But you put him with the Steelers and [defensive coordinator] Dick LeBeau, and look at what he was able to do.”

The Troy Polamalu, pictured in 2002 as a Trojan, was the 16th overall pick in the NFL draft the following year.
    (Getty Images)

And as one NFL source in attendance pointed out Wednesday, “Mays wasn’t expected to get a lot of interceptions where they put him in that defense. He played the deep routes a lot. He was expected to keep the big plays from happening. And for the most part, that’s what he did.”

His ability to do more than tackle and hit has definitely been one of the sore spots for Mays since USC’s season ended. When he was coached at the Senior Bowl by the Miami Dolphins staff, he was taken far out of his comfort zone and thrust into situations where he had to line up on tight ends and handle more one-on-one coverage. It led to some mixed reviews, but Miami’s coach saw progress along the way, including an interception by Mays in the Senior Bowl. And since that week, he has spent the lions’ share of his time working on his ball skills and some of the agility that helps safeties make impact plays.

“In the NFL, you get paid to get interceptions,” Mays said. “I started trying to do that [at the Senior Bowl]. I dropped a pass in practice, and then I caught an interception in the game. It kind of started to pay off once I started to look for the ball. … I know I can do it. I wasn’t really coached just to do that at USC, but I know I can make that transition in the NFL.”

He didn’t run a 40-yard dash at Wednesday’s pro day, but went through a handful of agility and positional drills to show he could adapt to coaching and what would be needed on the next level.

“Showing I could backpedal, showing I could change direction, showing I’ve got ball skills, and could track the ball in the air and go up and catch it – that’s what I wanted to show,” Mays said. “That’s why these [defensive back] drills I thought were the most important thing for me.”

Time will tell if it translates into Polamalu-like success. But at least one thing was clear from executives on hand: like the other coveted USC safety, the late hand-wringing isn’t expected to translate into much of a draft day slide.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Not a big Mays fan.Could be Roy Williams part 2.
    it should be noted that Roy Williams was a 3x pro bowler...

if this pick at 29 makes the pro bowl 3x it will have been a good use of the pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

if this pick at 29 makes the pro bowl 3x it will have been a good use of the pick.
    5 Pro Bowl selection (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)

and was picked 8th overall...if Mays at 29th overall is a 5x Pro Bowler count me the F in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we picked up Cromartie that changed the need at safety. Cro isn't much of a tackler but great in coverage. WRs 1 & 2 now are covered, so S can be used for run coverage, blitzing, and putting the fear of God into anyone going across the middle. Mays fits that pretty well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post

and was picked 8th overall...if Mays at 29th overall is a 5x Pro Bowler count me the F in.
    It should also be noted that he the Pro Bowl doesn't mean sh!t.

Besides, he had Darren f*cking Woodsen playing centerfield and he was basically a friggin LB for most of the snaps.

After Woodsen went down, that's when we started to see Williams get abused in coverage.

We have Jim Leonhard. Not Darren Woodsen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    funny. everyone was on rhodes all last year b/c he wouldn't hit anyone, even though he could cover guys pretty well (if not make impact plays). now many want the jets to draft a demon hitter who is by many counts a liability in coverage.

i vote for a combo of these two basic skills for a safety, but not in round 1.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post

Hell yea if we get 5 pro bowls out of him i'd be happy

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what to think about Mays... I know he had major problems with coverages this past year. My gut tells me he is just a workout warrior and has bust written all over him, ie D Robertson and V Gholston.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    I don't know what to think about Mays... I know he had major problems with coverages this past year. My gut tells me he is just a workout warrior and has bust written all over him, ie D Robertson and V Gholston.
    Don't go calling gholston a bust yet im not giving up on gholston

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    When we picked up Cromartie that changed the need at safety. Cro isn't much of a tackler but great in coverage. WRs 1 & 2 now are covered, so S can be used for run coverage, blitzing, and putting the fear of God into anyone going across the middle. Mays fits that pretty well.
    Who covers the TE?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No no no no no no no no no no to Mays!!! Mays would be a colossal blunder!

"Mays did not improve in the position drills after poor showings at the Senior Bowl and combine. He was stiff, practiced upright and looked very robotic in his movements. Mays looked uneasy and off balance breaking to the ball. He struggled changing direction at full speed and was asked to repeat drills on a few occasions.

As was the case earlier this year, several scouts repeated that they think a move to linebacker is in the offing for Mays. Scouts are starting to compare Mays to former Dallas Cowboys first round pick Roy Williams; an oversized college safety with poor skills in pass coverage."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Area52 View Post
    Sign me up on the "Mays at 29" bandwagon!!

Dude looked like a Mac truck cruising down I95.

He is DEFINITELY a Rex Ryan type player and I would be surprised to see us not pull the trigger if he is there for the picking.

He will be a beast!!
    He has BUST written all over him. No thanks!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but how much of that was on rep.
    He was always good down in the box,but He was never good in coverage.Always was getting beat over the top

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    per roto:

Taylor Mays-DB- Player Apr. 4 - 1:16 pm et

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin "does not like" USC S Taylor Mays as a draft prospect, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Safeties have to cover in Tomlin's scheme. Mays isn't a good enough cover man to succeed, or enough of a play-maker to make up for his deficiencies against the pass. The Post-Gazette says Tomlin does like Virginia Tech SS Kam Chancellor, oddly. Chancellor is essentially a poor man's Mays.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Related: Steelers

I think what could make Mays an enticing pick for the Jets is that he can be that extra safety blitzer on the outside in Rex's scheme. Seems apparent everyone and their mother knows the guy can't cover, but Rex would most likely come to use him as a LBer in lots of sub-packages. Didn't Carolina convert that Georgia saftey Thomas DAvis into a productive LBer?

Just think, in Rex's system, Mays could actually be an IMPACT turn-over causing player in those blitz packages. I agree with the earlier post that his best role would be as a SS and to minimize his coverage duties as much as possible, but can you IMAGINE him crashing down off the corner in a blitz?

Victor Green is one of the GREATEST Jets ever, and he SUCKED in coverage! But MAN how much fun was he to watch LAY WRs out?

Taylor Mays is Victor Green 2.5

Have faith that Rex can possibly even coach him up to be a good coverage safety.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    Not to sure how to feel about the kid. As an SC fan, I think Rex likes him and wouldn't be surprised to see him in green. I want the Ed Reed saftey type but who doesn't?? He isn't built to cover.
    5 int's in 4 years proves your point.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    per roto:

Taylor Mays-DB- Player Apr. 4 - 1:16 pm et

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin "does not like" USC S Taylor Mays as a draft prospect, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Safeties have to cover in Tomlin's scheme. Mays isn't a good enough cover man to succeed, or enough of a play-maker to make up for his deficiencies against the pass. The Post-Gazette says Tomlin does like Virginia Tech SS Kam Chancellor, oddly. Chancellor is essentially a poor man's Mays.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Related: Steelers

I think what could make Mays an enticing pick for the Jets is that he can be that extra safety blitzer on the outside in Rex's scheme. Seems apparent everyone and their mother knows the guy can't cover, but Rex would most likely come to use him as a LBer in lots of sub-packages. Didn't Carolina convert that Georgia saftey Thomas DAvis into a productive LBer?

Just think, in Rex's system, Mays could actually be an IMPACT turn-over causing player in those blitz packages. I agree with the earlier post that his best role would be as a SS and to minimize his coverage duties as much as possible, but can you IMAGINE him crashing down off the corner in a blitz?

Victor Green is one of the GREATEST Jets ever, and he SUCKED in coverage! But MAN how much fun was he to watch LAY WRs out?

Taylor Mays is Victor Green 2.5

Have faith that Rex can possibly even coach him up to be a good coverage safety.
    despite the fact he's a Super Bowl winning coach that's concentrated primarily on DB's throughout his career, what does Mike Tomlin know???

I mean just read this thread- Mays is from USC so he's gotta be the next coming of troy polamalu or ronnie lott or mark carrier...

Tomlin is obviously mistaken- someone needs to email him this thread...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-06-2010 at 07:25 PM.