Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want mays

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    whatever we think about taylor mays the football player

taylor mays the athlete is probably worth a top 10 pick on paper. He's got that rare size speed ratio that is super tough to pass up. he's got pro bloodlines, that will also help him on draft day. and he comes from a premium program.

assuming he makes it through the minefield between 1-28 how can these Jets pass this guy up?

He's everything Kerry Rhodes isn't. Kerry Rhodes could cover and they showed him the door.

Taylor Mays is a guy I dont know what exactly to think about but I do know if they made the pick I'd be completely ok with it. NFL Coaches look at these guys and they see lumps of clay to be molded... they don't see finished products.

People will say "Gholston" but it's 29 not 6... all the so called "perfect" prospects will be long gone by 29. Mays also has a true love for the game, he was brought up around it... something Gholston's critics love to bash about VG. Mays is a football player through and through.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    whatever we think about taylor mays the football player

taylor mays the athlete is probably worth a top 10 pick on paper. He's got that rare size speed ratio that is super tough to pass up. he's got pro bloodlines, that will also help him on draft day. and he comes from a premium program.

assuming he makes it through the minefield between 1-28 how can these Jets pass this guy up?

He's everything Kerry Rhodes isn't. Kerry Rhodes could cover and they showed him the door.

Taylor Mays is a guy I dont know what exactly to think about but I do know if they made the pick I'd be completely ok with it. NFL Coaches look at these guys and they see lumps of clay to be molded... they don't see finished products.

People will say "Gholston" but it's 29 not 6... all the so called "perfect" prospects will be long gone by 29. Mays also has a true love for the game, he was brought up around it... something Gholston's critics love to bash about VG. Mays is a football player through and through.
    Gholston is a flake and I think the comparisons between him and Mays are ridiculous. Besides, I doubt Gholston busts as hard as he did if he didn't have Mangina and Sutton to ruin him his rookie year.

I'd prefer to have a Safety who is better at coverage at 61 but Rex last season made Eric Smith, who has been horrible in coverage, look decent. Would rather have Cody or another receiver with the 1st round pick when this draft is so deep at Safety but I wouldn't end up like CBNY breaking my water if Tanny drafted Mays.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mays could be an ideal pick if you consider how the league is moving towards the nickel sub package.

His fit for and flexibility in that package would make him an enticing, if maverick pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO- JI's resident village idiot is at it again...

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Gholston is a flake and I think the comparisons between him and Mays are ridiculous. Besides, I doubt Gholston busts as hard as he did if he didn't have Mangina and Sutton to ruin him his rookie year.

I'd prefer to have a Safety who is better at coverage at 61 but Rex last season made Eric Smith, who has been horrible in coverage, look decent. Would rather have Cody or another receiver with the 1st round pick when this draft is so deep at Safety but I wouldn't end up like CBNY breaking my water if Tanny drafted Mays.
    so let's get this straight....Gholston busts hard in large part because mangini and sutton fuqed him up as a rookie.....

yet Ryan, the same coach who turned around the play of eric smith in one year, was unable to do the same with a player ten times the athlete???

got it....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Mays could be an ideal pick if you consider how the league is moving towards the nickel sub package.

His fit for and flexibility in that package would make him an enticing, if maverick pick.
    the problem is the play must be kept in front of mayes and you can't ask or expect him to go outside the numbers....

I agree with your theory- that's why the Jets are likely to go CB if they stand pat @29, in essence getting their nickel...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the problem is the play must be kept in front of mayes and you can't ask or expect him to go outside the numbers....

I agree with your theory- that's why the Jets are likely to go CB if they stand pat @29, in essence getting their nickel...
    i'd think they'd use him as replacement for one of two LB positions in their nickel, where ihedigbo has played in the past, effectively going three safeties, but with mays as an upgrade over ihidigbo in both run support and coverage. i dont think they'll use him per se in rhodes' old spot...

its almost like the scheme would have to adjust.

but i also think they'll grab their nickel cb in this draft. the draft is deep as **** at cb into the 3rd day...

i don't think they will mince around tho, i think they'll get their cb from the 1st to the 3rd round.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think were drafting a safety early. Were paying Pool 1.3 mil so hes basically guaranteed to make the opening day roster and so are Leonhard, Smith and Ihedigbo. So, no more safeties needed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Which CB's do you think are quick enough to play nickle? preferably someone in the 2nd round. I would like to go WR with our first pick.

Who do you think the Jets will take with their first two picks?

Thanks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd think they'd use him as replacement for one of two LB positions in their nickel, where ihedigbo has played in the past, effectively going three safeties, but with mays as an upgrade over ihidigbo in both run support and coverage. i dont think they'll use him per se in rhodes' old spot...

but i also think they'll grab their nickel cb in this draft. the draft is deep as **** at cb into the 3rd day...

i don't think they will mince around tho, i think they'll get their cb from the 1st to the 3rd round.
    +1 that was a great, well-articulated post DV...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

but do you take a player like that @29...I wouldn't....you probably get better value w/cody grimm of va tech in the late rounds and he'd be killer on ST's...

problem with mays is, he's dead in the water if the action is not in front of him...and even then he needs a running start....he can't flip his hips transitioning to run w/opponents, he's slow changing direction, is slow backpedaling and really needs to gather before breaking to the action out of his pedal...

also- as far as adjusting the scheme- why fix what ain't broke? the issue was not so much bad safety play as it was the inability to pressure the QB which enabled teams to exploit situations...

that's where the strength of the position is....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-06-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    Which CB's do you think are quick enough to play nickle? preferably someone in the 2nd round. I would like to go WR with our first pick.

Who do you think the Jets will take with their first two picks?

Thanks
    right now I think the first pick is McCourty....as far as CB's late in round two?

Alterraun Verner/UCLA, maybe Kevin Thomas/USC (though that's a bit early), Jerome Murphy/USF...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    right now I think the first pick is McCourty....as far as CB's late in round two?

Alterraun Verner/UCLA, maybe Kevin Thomas/USC (though that's a bit early), Jerome Murphy/USF...
    I'd be very happy with McCourty in the first.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    think about what rex hated about rhodes, not hitting etc, mays is a huge hitter
    Rex didn't hate Rhodes because of his lack of hitting. That's fan fodder.

Rex's issue with Rhodes was his tentativeness and failure to make plays (INTs, Pick 6s, FF).

Jim Leonard said the plan was to lessen Rhodes' play calling responsibilities to free him up to make more plays, but he just didn't make the plays.

People who think Rex wants a big hitter in a FS (something Rex has never had), they are dead wrong. Rex wants a FS who jumps routes, makes pick 6s, causes forced fumbles, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

put Cook, K Jackson in there?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    29 is to early for Jackson and he'll be gone by 61....

Cook concerns me...a guy who gets lazy, needs someone to lean on him constantly....big bust potential but could go the other way....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    im not cbny but those seem like closer to late 1s than late 2's at this point. Kareem Jackson might already be gone by 29, alot of teams like him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Rex didn't hate Rhodes because of his lack of hitting. That's fan fodder.

Rex's issue with Rhodes was his tentativeness and failure to make plays (INTs, Pick 6s, FF).

Jim Leonard said the plan was to lessen Rhodes' play calling responsibilities to free him up to make more plays, but he just didn't make the plays.

People who think Rex wants a big hitter in a FS (something Rex has never had), they are dead wrong. Rex wants a FS who jumps routes, makes pick 6s, causes forced fumbles, etc.
    +1

Basically, Rex wants a selfless guy who will buy into the system and make some plays.

Pool can be that guy if he can stay healthy.

I still wouldn't mind taking a safety to develop in the 4th or 5th round, but the only guys I would consider in the 1st are Eric Berry and Earl Thomas, neither of which will be available at #29.

And I sure as sh*t aint selling the farm to move up for no safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think it is likely that KJ is gone as well. so lets say that the FO follows both of bits and CBNYs thinking, that Cook, while ideal, is too risky.

Say, McCourty is gone by 1.29, which is likely, even with Haden sliding potentially past Cleve with the Sheldon trade.

So, say our draft looks like this, just off the top of my head:

1.29: Jerry Hughes
    2.29: Dexter McCluster
    3:29:

CBS that you'd potentially have from there to 3.29, and after, again off the top of my head:

Kevin Thomas
    Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
    Brandon Ghee
    Donovan Warren
    Perrish Cox
    Myron Lewis
    Dominique Franks
    Javier Arenas
    A.J. Wallace
    Amari Spievey

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think it is likely that KJ is gone as well. so lets say that the FO follows both of bits and CBNYs thinking, that Cook, while ideal, is too risky.

Say, McCourty is gone by 1.29, which is likely, even with Haden sliding potentially past Cleve with the Sheldon trade.

So, say our draft looks like this, just off the top of my head:

1.29: Jerry Hughes
    2.29: Dexter McCluster
    3:29:

CBS that you'd potentially have from there to 3.29, and after, again off the top of my head:

Kevin Thomas
    Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
    Brandon Ghee
    Donovan Warren
    Perrish Cox
    Myron Lewis
    Dominique Franks
    Javier Arenas
    A.J. Wallace
    Amari Spievey
    We dont have 3rd.