Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I want mays

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    but do you take a player like that @29...I wouldn't....you probably get better value w/cody grimm of va tech in the late rounds and he'd be killer on ST's...

problem with mays is, he's dead in the water if the action is not in front of him...and even then he needs a running start....he can't flip his hips transitioning to run w/opponents, he's slow changing direction, is slow backpedaling and really needs to gather before breaking to the action out of his pedal...

also- as far as adjusting the scheme- why fix what ain't broke? the issue was not so much bad safety play as it was the inability to pressure the QB which enabled teams to exploit situations...
    CBNY, thanks for emphasizing Mays weaknesses for his position as opposed to all those that want him based on his great straight line 40 yard time.

Also, completely agree with your comment that the Jets weakness last year was their lack of QB pressure.

BTW--what happened to Joshua Moore? He seems to have dropped from a late 2nd-3rd a few weeks ago to a 4th-5th?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    RT @NicWirtz: Mays or Gresham for the Bengals, which is better option?> I don't think Mays could cover Gresham

how come Mays gets ranked as a first round pick?>> Height, weight, speed and helmet decal

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

Just an ex scouts opinion on Mays. Not positive.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    RT @NicWirtz: Mays or Gresham for the Bengals, which is better option?> I don't think Mays could cover Gresham

how come Mays gets ranked as a first round pick?>> Height, weight, speed and helmet decal

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

Just an ex scouts opinion on Mays. Not positive.
    Hmm, wonder what he said about Jim Leonhard coming out of college?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Hmm, wonder what he said about Jim Leonhard coming out of college?

LOL...Fair enough. I see your point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...Fair enough. I see your point.
    Thanks for taking that the right way C Mart.

I know there's plenty of criticism about Mays coverage skills but as cliche as it sounds -- that's why we have coaches. Specifically Mark Carrier, our new defensive line coach, who was a free safety from USC and a 3x Pro Bowler / Defensive Rookie of the Year. Even though he's with a different unit I think he'd be able to get the best out of a player that is following in his footsteps.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dassin View Post
    Thanks for taking that the right way C Mart.

I know there's plenty of criticism about Mays coverage skills but as cliche as it sounds -- that's why we have coaches. Specifically Mark Carrier, our new defensive line coach, who was a free safety from USC and a 3x Pro Bowler / Defensive Rookie of the Year. Even though he's with a different unit I think he'd be able to get the best out of a player that is following in his footsteps.
    Good point about Carrier. Wasn't Jets DB Coach Dennis Thurman also a S at USC?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point about Carrier. Wasn't Jets DB Coach Dennis Thurman also a S at USC?
    Yup, good call.

I just looked it up. According to his wiki, he played free safety at USC and also coached there from 1993 to 2000, his most notable pupil being Troy Polamalu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Thurman

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    CBNY, thanks for emphasizing Mays weaknesses for his position as opposed to all those that want him based on his great straight line 40 yard time.

Also, completely agree with your comment that the Jets weakness last year was their lack of QB pressure.

BTW--what happened to Joshua Moore? He seems to have dropped from a late 2nd-3rd a few weeks ago to a 4th-5th?
    4.61 ET at the combine is what happened, though his hand times were .1 faster....he's also a guy that's slid under the radar due to the depth at the CB position in rounds 2/3...