• D. Bryant

21 40.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marshall or Bryant

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    NO BRAINER

Brandon's delicious Marshall

If you draft Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall is what you are hoping he turns into
    Sort of.

I think you'd be lucky to have Bryant turn out as great as Marshall has as strictly a player... but there's much more than just what happens between the lines on Sunday that comes along with acquiring a player.

I think Bryant's "character concerns" are a little overstated. Marshall will be suspended at some point because he's a knucklehead.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I would agree if Bryant were a model citizen, but lets face it, both of these guys come with baggage and are a risky proposition from that point of view, so you might as well take the PROVEN BIG/ELITE NFL WR (in his prime) over the rookie you hope turns into Brandon Marshall as a player

If there was a huge age gap I might take Bryant, same as if there was a huge character gap, but there isn't, physically Marshall is in his prime and he doesn't figure to tail off any time soon either
    we know what Marshall has done not to be a model citizen but what has Bryant done???

been dopey?? yes...
    immature?? definitely...
    got caught in a lie?? yes....

then again how many of us did not hit that trifecta when we were 21/22 YO???

Marshall's actions have cause arrests and has him on the verge of getting suspended....Bryant has done little than make people shake their head...(besides cost him a lot of money)...

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont like either but forced to choose, Marshall has tape against the NFL, Bryant has tape against the Big 12. no contest the established pro is almost always the safer choice.
    That, and the fact that he is a LEGITIMATE BEAST at WR in the NFL, which is at least 2 stages above some college kid. Marshall is a Legit Stud.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

No you're right CB, on a scale from 1-10 there's no doubt Marshall's rap sheet (metaphorically speaking) makes Dez Bryant seem like a rank amateur, but that doesn't mean Dez Bryant is not a risky proposition from a character POV as well ... we're just arguing about "the degree" between Marshall and Bryant.

As for risking a lengthy suspension, Bryant has already "been there, done that"

If that were not the case Bryant would be a slam dunk TOP 15 Pick, maybe TOP 10, and we wouldn't even be talking about the possibility of drafting him for the Jets

But don't get me wrong, if he slides that far I would still take him in a heartbeat
    Bryant's suspension was due to stupidity and handed down by the heavy handed NCAA- one of the most dictatorial organizations in the country...he should not have been suspended for the entire season....

don't get me wrong- he needed to serve some sort of punishment- in fact had Gundy come down on him for some of his slip-ups (showing up to games 15 minutes prior to kick off) rather then letting him slide, the light may have gone on sooner for Bryant- but in this case the punishment did not fit the crime....

I would agree if Bryant were a model citizen, but lets face it, both of these guys come with baggage and are a risky proposition from that point of view, so you might as well take the PROVEN BIG/ELITE NFL WR (in his prime) over the rookie you hope turns into Brandon Marshall as a player

If there was a huge age gap I might take Bryant, same as if there was a huge character gap, but there isn't, physically Marshall is in his prime and he doesn't figure to tail off any time soon either
    Exactly

For the millionth time...Brandon Marshall is not an elite NFL WR. Andre Johnson is an elite NFL WR. Brandon Marshall is very good, sure. But it takes more than 100 catches/1000 yards to be elite. He's not much of a TD guy for someone described as elite...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Yeah that's why I would still take him in a heartbeat if he slid to the Jets, because I don't view him as an arch criminal or a locker-room cancer ... I tend to agree with you that its more about immaturity and a lack of discipline ... you know his circumstances so you know what I mean ... and that doesn't make him a BAD GUY, but it does represent some risk once you put millions of dollars in his bank account, a risk teams may not be willing to take in the TOP 15 or 20 (remains to be seen?), but at 29 I think the risk/reward is well worth it
    the one thing that concerns me in the short term about Bryant is his agent- Eugene Parker....

Michael Crabtree's agent? Eugene Parker...

it could be apples and oranges yet worth noting...

^^ Sounds like a damn good agent for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    For the millionth time...Brandon Marshall is not an elite NFL WR.

even if thats true

he's still an NFL WR

Dez Bryant is a big 12 WR

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    even if thats true

he's still an NFL WR

Dez Bryant is a big 12 WR
    In 3 weeks Bryant is an NFL WR.

Then what?

Marshall's an NFL WR with NFL \baggage that include beating women and getting arrested.

Bryant's a soon to be NFL WR with college baggage like "he talked to a guy in his future profession" and "he forgot his cleats to his workout."

Feel free to dig up whatevery you want, hence why I said everyone makes mistakes.

I only know what I read on here and your SI.com articles when it comes to you. Pretty simple, no?

Once again, I am happy with Braylon and wouldn't want either Bryan or Marshall, but if I was made to pick I would take Bryant, less money and Marshall's woman beating is a little much to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    and you've made some rather large mistakes that have been very easy to dig up- but let's not go there...

versus what you think you know about me??? last week I was selling insurance in your internet stalking world...

but hey- as usual way to hijack a thread being your usual dictatorial fake forum mod...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

its simple to the simple minded who get their information PM'd to them from an idealogue then run with it before checking the facts....
    sort of like running with the idea for three years that I sell in insurance and was a fake scout...one day later you claim to read my stuff on SI.com....as usual you are clueless with both....

in the end your knee jerk assumptions and internet stalking "when it comes to me" makes you look like an ass- no??

btw- you should probably take your internet stalking and pissing contest to another forum- except for a few spats started by a few braindead posters, this forum is usually a solid place to post as people come with knowledgable opinions....your juvinille bullsh!t is not likely to go over well...

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Feel free to dig up whatevery you want, hence why I said everyone makes mistakes.

I only know what I read on here and your SI.com articles when it comes to you. Pretty simple, no?

Once again, I am happy with Braylon and wouldn't want either Bryan or Marshall, but if I was made to pick I would take Bryant, less money and Marshall's woman beating is a little much to take.
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I didn't know that, but its not good, especially if Bryant slides to a team like the Jets. That's where I can see Parker taking the same position he took with Crabtree, suggesting his client never should have slid that far, should have been taken higher according to his talent, so he expects to be paid according to his ability and not where he slid ... blah blah blah ... and that can easily turn into another lengthy holdout

Parker's M.O. in that respect is already established, so I wouldn't be surprised if he takes that position
    its' more than taking the same position as he did with crabtree....its' not getting players who need direction preparing for the draft process or the camps which follow immediately...that's the big issue- some agents do it well Parker does not w/players who need a lot of hand holding or direction...

Had Bryant been with an agency like Octagon or CAA what happened on Tueday never would've gone down...then when he arrives to a rookie mini camp he's ready to go rather than being behind the 8-ball

Alvin Keels is another one- happened with Andre Smith last year and happening to Terrance Cody this year...and in the end it costs these players $$$

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    In 3 weeks Bryant is an NFL WR.
    a rookie wr

marshall is an all pro

this whole convo is meaningless neither will be jets

I only go by what you post.

its simple to the simple minded who get their information PM'd to them from an idealogue then run with it before checking the facts....
    sort of like running with the idea for three years that I sell in insurance and was a fake scout...one day later you claim to read my stuff on SI.com....as usual you are clueless with both....

in the end your knee jerk assumptions and internet stalking "when it comes to me" makes you look like an ass- no??

btw- you should probably take your internet stalking and pissing contest to another forum- except for a few spats started by a few braindead posters, this forum is usually a solid place to post as people come with knowledgable opinions....your juvinille bullsh!t is not likely to go over well...
    Last edited by cr726; 04-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.

I'll take the gamble on Bryant and the smaller contract.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    That, and the fact that he is a LEGITIMATE BEAST at WR in the NFL, which is at least 2 stages above some college kid. Marshall is a Legit Stud.
    Hmm, a 2nd for a proven legit stud who is already one of the best playmakers in the NFL or a 1st round pick (possibly might take a trade up which would mean more than a 1st) for an unproven attitude guy who we don't know could end up being the next Charles Rogers or Mike Williams?

Tough decision.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

agree where you are going with this 100%....

Marshall is a loose cannon that can implode in a second and has imploded in the past....Marshall is eventually going to fuq up again then get suspended....

Bryant is an immature kid that needs to wake up and grow up.....

no way am I taking Marshall but no way do I think Bryant is available for the Jets...
    maybe wrong on this one.....you'll start reading soon about Bryant potentially doing a Devin Thomas like drop on draft day....

Veteran
    I'd take Marshall hands down. The guy is a proven player. He's put up numbers with Jay Cutler and with out him. While Bryant may turn out to be a great player, he only had one good season in college.

With Marshall the jets are a legit Superbowl contender. The jets would probably have to give up less to get Marshall than they would for Bryant.

maybe wrong on this one.....you'll start reading soon about Bryant potentially doing a Devin Thomas like drop on draft day....
    Devin Thomas was never on Bryant's level in the first place. He was good in college obviously, but not as good as Bryant. He also rose more through his workouts, giving him more the ceiling of a second half of the first round pick...probably closer to the mid-20's anyway...he "fell" all the way to 34.