Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earl Thomas just ran a 4.35 at pro-day...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Earl Thomas just ran a 4.35 at pro-day...

love this cat...

All Pro
    SF

cross him off the wish list.

Perhaps Mayock is right and Berry really does have some competition for the #1 drafted safety?

With such a stacked draft, is there a possibility that one of the top 2 safeties drops to 29?

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    With such a stacked draft, is there a possibility that one of the top 2 safeties drops to 29?
    The thing that is so nice is that though we might be disappointed that Thomas goes before 29 that pushes some other prospect down. Since we really could be open to picking any one of a number of positions we are going to get a nice player indeed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    depends if Mays is one of your top 2

Jets Insider VIP
    The only knock on Thomas is that he is not an in the box safety. Good in coverage, but a little on the small side.

Berry is the better all around safety as he can cover and play in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Perhaps Mayock is right and Berry really does have some competition for the #1 drafted safety?
    Nuh uh.

Has there ever been a draft where more than 1 safety was taken in the top
    3rd of the 1st round?
    Just wondering.
    Why would you want to pay a safety a boat load of money?
    Give me a mean *ss pass rusher like Demarcus Ware any day over a damn safety.
    Jets are in the catbird seat @ 29!
    When you look at any mock draft, there are always at least 5 top notch players for the Jets at 29.
    I'm looking for a trade BACK in the 2nd round. How many starting positions are available on the Jets right now?
    What rookies could START this season on the Jets?
    If the Jets plan on ground & pound again then maybe another STUD running back is in order.
    God I can't wait for the draft!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The only knock on Thomas is that he is not an in the box safety. Good in coverage, but a little on the small side.

Berry is the better all around safety as he can cover and play in the box.
    At the combine Thomas was 2 inches shorter, but only 3 pounds lighter at 208 than Berry...

I agree with your assesment, but Thomas is not as small as he's made out to be.

Jacksonville at 10?

You know how Reggie Nelson and Michael Huff struggled their first few years?

Thomas is going to be the same way...That's why Berry's going ahead of him...way more pro-ready.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    You know how Reggie Nelson and Michael Huff struggled their first few years?

Thomas is going to be the same way...That's why Berry's going ahead of him...way more pro-ready.
    Dont Reggie Nelson and Michael Huff still suck?

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Has there ever been a draft where more than 1 safety was taken in the top
    3rd of the 1st round?
    Just wondering.
    Why would you want to pay a safety a boat load of money?
    Give me a mean *ss pass rusher like Demarcus Ware any day over a damn safety.
    Jets are in the catbird seat @ 29!
    When you look at any mock draft, there are always at least 5 top notch players for the Jets at 29.
    I'm looking for a trade BACK in the 2nd round. How many starting positions are available on the Jets right now?
    What rookies could START this season on the Jets?
    If the Jets plan on ground & pound again then maybe another STUD running back is in order.
    God I can't wait for the draft!
    +1 Great analysis

I think we still need to keep a harness on Sanchez. Flacco and Ryan both slumped in 09. The jets can get away with a lot less passing than the Ravens and Falcons because of the dominant O-line and run game. This is why I think Gerhart in the 3rd or 4th or Blount in the 5th would be awesome. But there are many other value backs RBs as well. Those two fit the style of the Jets. Draft a mean OLB in Hughes and a DE such as Alalu then pickup a stud RB and solid slot guy. Bring in a FB for Richardson to groom. I'm a happy camper.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    At the combine Thomas was 2 inches shorter, but only 3 pounds lighter at 208 than Berry...

I agree with your assesment, but Thomas is not as small as he's made out to be.

Jacksonville at 10?
    6 pounds lighter today and same ht....but the wt is worth noting as he was slower at the combine and his playing wt is closer to 199lbs...

Well, there goes any shot of him falling to 29

Good for him... I am sure he will make some team happy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Dont Reggie Nelson and Michael Huff still suck?
    Huff had his useful season last year. Nelson is the Jags biggest bust everz as of this past season. There's probably no shot that Nelson becomes any kind of player, as is the case with many guys who've failed to flash.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    +1 Great analysis

I think we still need to keep a harness on Sanchez. Flacco and Ryan both slumped in 09. The jets can get away with a lot less passing than the Ravens and Falcons because of the dominant O-line and run game. This is why I think Gerhart in the 3rd or 4th or Blount in the 5th would be awesome. But there are many other value backs RBs as well. Those two fit the style of the Jets. Draft a mean OLB in Hughes and a DE such as Alalu then pickup a stud RB and solid slot guy. Bring in a FB for Richardson to groom. I'm a happy camper.
    Sounds reasonable, but if Sanchez shows significant enough progress and CS is confident in his improved abilities I want them to open the playbook up a bit more - bring a more balanced attack. Maybe something like the old Steelers run to set up the deep pass, at this time though run game remains our bread and butter going forward.

All League
    God Dammit, Earl was my favorite player in the draft and now there is absolutely no chance he drops to 29.

I thought, maybe, since he's a safety, he'll slide in favor of other positions.

Now? Now Earl Thomas is a lock to be gone by 29.