Thread: Shutdown Corner mock draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Shutdown Corner mock draft

The Shutdown Corner mock draft Pro Day Edition

29. New York Jets -- OG Mike Iupati, Idaho: The Jets' outstanding offensive line was a major key to their great success in 2009. However, left guard Alan Faneca(notes) was a weakness in ways he hadn't been before. According to Football Outsiders' Bill Barnwell, Faneca had more blown blocks (seven sacks and three hurries allowed) than any left guard in the game last year. Adding Iupati to the left side of that line might make it the best in the NFL. Considered by some to have the agility to kick out to left tackle someday, Iupati has an outstanding group of attributes -- he's great in pass pro, a nasty run blocker, and can move on pulls and slides.
    I'd certainly be happy with Iupati.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miracle In The Meadowlands View Post
    The Shutdown Corner mock draft Pro Day Edition

I'd certainly be happy with Iupati.
    That would free a ton of cap space too, to resign our players. I wouldn't mind that either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can NEVER go wrong with picking an O-lineman who is good enough to be a starter in this league. Faneca can't have too many seasons left in the tank

The 2006 draft where we got Mangold and D'Brick really set the stage for our whole offense as it is now.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 03-31-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not be surprised at all if we draft Iupati or Pouncey for depth on the inside O-line.

That said, I would rather have a defensive player... DE or OLB, and pray we do not take a WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds interesting. lines need to be addressed. this is a good start

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have a lot of money and 4 first round picks on the OL, why on earth do we need to invest a first round pick and more money to this position?

I get that Faneca is the senior member, he's still just 33 years old though, and is the most senior on the line. Woody is next in line at 31. OL can play well into their mid 30's at a high level. With that said, we will be opening up the check book to extend Brick and Mangold, we'll need to be efficient with how we spend on the line.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a few things wrong with the writers rationale, but this is the biggest head-scratcher:

Considered by some to have the agility to kick out to left tackle someday

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have mixed feelings about this pick. Most likely Iupati would not start this year but would show Woody (Damian, that is) the door and start at RT. He is one of the top 4 OL in the draft (Okung, Campbell, Davis) and would be a big improvement. However, our OL is not one of the biggest concerns right now. That title would belong to WRs, a DE and an OLB. If we take him, great, but we better try to get someone good at those three positions before it is too late.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    There's a few things wrong with the writers rationale, but this is the biggest head-scratcher:
    ya no doubt. Iupati is an elite guard but it's no secret he's not a tackle, nor is he projected to become one.

This Iupati to teh Jets business is for the birds. I love 'em but slipping past PIT, PHI, GB, DAL, ARZ and pretty much every team between MIA and us is ridiculous.

You want O-line, Pouncey is our best shot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this guy is as good as people say then the value at 29 would be good. If 5 years from now he is a 2-3 time pro bowl guard the pick will look mighty good. If there is one position to over draft it might be o-line for me. Regardless i we stay at 29 it's going to be a tough decision as to who we draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just can't understand how some people would be behind picking an o-linemen with either of our first two picks. I don't care how high on the board that player would be, we have other needs and there are lots of good players in this draft.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this pick. Most likely Iupati would not start this year but would show Woody (Damian, that is) the door and start at RT. He is one of the top 4 OL in the draft (Okung, Campbell, Davis) and would be a big improvement. However, our OL is not one of the biggest concerns right now. That title would belong to WRs, a DE and an OLB. If we take him, great, but we better try to get someone good at those three positions before it is too late.
    + 1

I like him, but we have bigger needs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iupati Is a great pick. With the value of
    this draft we can fi in holes later on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's on the board when it's our turn to pick - won't there be some trade down offers? If the value pick doesn't meet a need of ours, I think trading down makes sense...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    We have a lot of money and 4 first round picks on the OL, why on earth do we need to invest a first round pick and more money to this position?

I get that Faneca is the senior member, he's still just 33 years old though, and is the most senior on the line. Woody is next in line at 31. OL can play well into their mid 30's at a high level. With that said, we will be opening up the check book to extend Brick and Mangold, we'll need to be efficient with how we spend on the line.
    Because our LG is old, and Iupati is really, really good.

He's probably gone by Pittsburgh's pick in real life anyway...but Iupati is one of the best players we can get at 29 if things were to fall that way...which they probably won't. Teams love top OL talent...especially LT and LG...C is getting up there too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Because our LG is old, and Iupati is really, really good.

He's probably gone by Pittsburgh's pick in real life anyway...but Iupati is one of the best players we can get at 29 if things were to fall that way...which they probably won't. Teams love top OL talent...especially LT and LG...C is getting up there too.
    Cant see how he gets by Dallas and Green bay both of whom are desperate for oline help. I rather have Pouncey myself.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ The 90's Cowboy O-line >>>> Emmit Smith

Emmith Smith = THE Compiler...only thing is he compiled for an all time great NFL team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack View Post
    I just can't understand how some people would be behind picking an o-linemen with either of our first two picks. I don't care how high on the board that player would be, we have other needs and there are lots of good players in this draft.
    What other position is in such need that we shouldnt look at an Olineman if that player is the highest rated on the Jets board?

Pouncey is a guy that can backup 2 positions on the line immeidately this year, and has the potential to be a replacement for either faneca or woody next year, as well as be a very good backup for our most valuable lineman, Mangold. Iupati isnt as versatile, but has the skill set to be a very good lineman for years to come.

You can never ever have enough qulity depth on the oline, especially young depth that comes at a reltaively low price.

Rex has a history of finding Dlineman late in the draft....id rather shore up our offensive line so we can run the ball and protect Sanchez, rather then draft a Dlineman. And as much as i like mcourty as a player, esp for special teams, i think pouncey is a more valuable player.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Woody IMO is still playing at an extremely high level...By FAR our best run blocker (ie 4th down Chargers game, they ran behind Woody)

Faneca is a true leader on this team, but next year might be his last as a Jet

Iupati would be a heist