Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damian Williams choses not to run today..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Boss Bailey was pretty damn close though... Man that kid could move, what a shame! Bryan Thomas and John Abraham both ran under 4.5... Adalius Thomas ran low 4.5's...
    Don't forget Brain Urlacher, who was a Safety/LB in college

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    those guys were all fast, but none of those were as fast as Mays was at Indy. the official time nonsense aside he busted out a legit 4.3 on most watches. He ran as fast as Spiller, Ford, Holliday... he's a rover or SS not a will backer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    those guys were all fast, but none of those were as fast as Mays was at Indy. the official time nonsense aside he busted out a legit 4.3 on most watches. He ran as fast as Spiller, Ford, Holliday... he's a rover or SS not a will backer
    Problem is that Mays didn't move as well as those guys. "Stiff hips" has become a knock that gets thrown out alot since someone said it about Gholston, and supposedly Mays has them.

I just think he's one of those guys who deals with unrealistic expectations combined with unnecessary hype. I like those guys and root for those guys, because more often than not life slows down for them, the masses stop bugging them about "being who they should be" as if everyone is who they should be, and they get to enjoy being a good player for some team that probably didn't draft them.

If he lands with an organization who sees him for what he is then he'll be fine. That doesn't happen too often, but 29 really isn't a terrible spot to gamble on a talent like him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mays could thrive as a box safety, a sort of rover... we do have great cover corners so a guy like Mays could focus on knocking the sht out of people daring to come across the middle, on blitzes he could be phenomenal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor Mays did not improve in the position drills after poor showings at the Senior Bowl and combine. He was stiff, practiced upright and looked very robotic in his movements. Mays looked uneasy and off balance breaking to the ball. He struggled changing direction at full speed and was asked to repeat drills on a few occasions.

As was the case earlier this year, several scouts repeated that they think a move to linebacker is in the offing for Mays. Scouts are starting to compare Mays to former Dallas Cowboys first round pick Roy Williams; an oversized college safety with poor skills in pass coverage.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1707

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    If he lands with an organization who sees him for what he is then he'll be fine. That doesn't happen too often, but 29 really isn't a terrible spot to gamble on a talent like him.
    honestly if the Jets could get a Dez Bryant or Taylor Mays at 29, it's an insane value... probably not likely. if they are there you pretty much have to take a chance

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas Davis made a fairly successful move to LB from safety and Mays has better measureables than Davis I think.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    6'3 273

32 5/8" arm length...

Similar build to guys like Suggs and Gholston, though I don't mean to make it sound like Gholston is a legit NFL player.

CB, what does this say about Williams' character? Is he too much of a gamble for teams now?
    the deal is he was planning to run the forty all day long then changed his mind at the last second...it was announced as "not running- own choice"...not good...

his character? not at all....is he hiding the fact he's as slow as the clocks/stopwatches read at the combine?? most definitely...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    So he's all straight line speed?
    awful in reverse....again....

And not athletic enough to play Safety due to lack of range?
    I don't know if you can quantify is as lack of athleticism versus stiff and immobile.....its' great to be super-duper fast in a straight line- if it takes a year and a day to alter your angle of attack or your too damn slow to change direction then bye-bye WR or ball carrier...

Weren't there also questions about his lack of instincts?
    a lot of people feel that way- i don't...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taylor Mays will be a failure at the NFL level. Can't play LB, has no instincts for safety, is crap in coverage. But gee, he's real FAST in a straight line. In shorts. On field Turf inside a building.

Lets move up and GRAB THAT STUD.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the deal is he was planning to run the forty all day long then changed his mind at the last second...it was announced as "not running- own choice"...not good...

his character? not at all....is he hiding the fact he's as slow as the clocks/stopwatches read at the combine?? most definitely...
    Is he slow because of a lack of work ethic? He doesn't care about football enough? What is it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    awful in reverse....again....

I don't know if you can quantify is as lack of athleticism versus stiff and immobile.....its' great to be super-duper fast in a straight line- if it takes a year and a day to alter your angle of attack or your too damn slow to change direction then bye-bye WR or ball carrier...

a lot of people feel that way- i don't...
    CBNY, thanks for your info/insight!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Is he slow because of a lack of work ethic? He doesn't care about football enough? What is it?
    he looked great in drills so he's been staying up with his workouts....maybe he's just stopwatch slow but football fast...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    CBNY, thanks for your info/insight!
    no problem....moving forwards vincenzo testeverde will be offering his football wisdom rather than me as I've obviously lost credibility...