Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Will the Jets use Leon to move up?

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Will the Jets use Leon to move up?

    Lot of speculation that Leon might be moved in the near future.
    Leons a very good player but lets face it,
    He's 29 & coming off a very bad injury. We have Sean Greene & LT.

    We already know Mikey Ts M.O.
    Lets face facts:
    Jets are not changing the way they do business because it has been very successful.
    Jets target a player that fits what they want & they go for it. Leon is a VERY GOOD bargaining chip if he proves to be healthy.
    He's already tendered at a managable salary, he's unhappy, his agent is an *sshole and there are probably some studs that will drop in the draft that the jets have high on their board.
    I can see the Jets moving in front of the Pats @ 22 using Leon as bait. Mikey T sitting, waiting, waiting, waiting, while a name on their list gets closer and closer, but tantalizingly still far away but almost close enough to grab?

    BAM! Mikey makes his move!

    Mel Kiper: "Well it's clear that the NY Jets know how to work a draft!"
    Revis- Harris- Keller- Greene, Sanchez, the Jets moved up for all of them and now they shocked everyone again by making a move for _______________!
    That my friends is how it will play out.
    You fill in the blank.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Posts
    5,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    ALL DEPENDS ON WHO SLIPS, AND WHO WE ARE TARGETING

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. Leon's not available, barring another team giving him big money as an RFA (And us a 2nd round pick), time for people to get that through their heads.

    We had 3 (good) backs last year, we'll have 3 (good) backs this year.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    No. Leon's not available, barring another team giving him big money as an RFA (And us a 2nd round pick), time for people to get that through their heads.

    We had 3 (good) backs last year, we'll have 3 (good) backs this year.
    He's tendered a 2nd round pick, Jets could trade him anyway they see fit.
    I'm telling you guys, you don't mess around with this Jets brass.

    They have brass balls and if your not onboard your outward bound. No one is bigger than the "team".
    Leon is a 29 year old part time scatback whose return skills have been highly nullified by the new no wedge rule.
    Give me Dexter McCluster and a big time pass rusher that we move up for in the draft & I'll pack Leons bags myself.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    No. Leon's not available, barring another team giving him big money as an RFA (And us a 2nd round pick), time for people to get that through their heads.

    We had 3 (good) backs last year, we'll have 3 (good) backs this year.
    We had Leon for 6 & 1/4 games last year. We played 11 and 3/4 more without him.
    I love Leon, he's just not "GREAT ENOUGH" to be pulling crap with his agent.
    Leon, "get on board or sayanara".
    You would think the Jets screwed him the way he's acting. He screwed himself by getting greedy. Sorry, no sympathy from this Jet fan.

    I am a fan of the NY Jets football "TEAM". The minute someone leaves, they are the enemy.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record LW is 27 years old - will be 28 in August. He wears #29 however

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    say it with me now

    leon has no trade value.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    No. Leon's not available, barring another team giving him big money as an RFA (And us a 2nd round pick), time for people to get that through their heads.

    We had 3 (good) backs last year, we'll have 3 (good) backs this year.
    You like Leon, i also think you liked Rhodes as well no?

    I can easily see Leon signing our offer sheet and then with his permission being dealt for a 3rd rounder or so. I distinctly get the impression the Jets want to move him because having 2 of the 3 good backs having the same skill set and usage means Leon will be riding a lot of pine. The Jets have committed to LT as their 3rd down pass receiving back so if Leon is here he's a kick returner and possibly injury insurance.

    Would be better to move him and draft another young back that is a pounder.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    say it with me now

    leon has no trade value.
    I don't believe that for a second.
    1- Rehab must be going well or he wouldn't have been "insulted" by the 2nd round tender.
    2- Though he's not happy the way his contract negotiations have gone with the Jets, Leons a good character guy. A team like Denver would be very interested where someone like McDaniels is familiar with him.

    Though he may not be worth a 2nd round pick in your mind, he may be worth a trade for the Jets to move up 6 spots, said trade partner gets Leon & another late round pick or future pick.
    Not every team in this league likes to spend a ton of money.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedjetgreen View Post
    Just for the record LW is 27 years old - will be 28 in August. He wears #29 however
    Your right, probably was seeing his number when I was typing. Still, getting old in "scat back" or "returner" years.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I don't believe that for a second.
    1- Rehab must be going well or he wouldn't have been "insulted" by the 2nd round tender.
    2- Though he's not happy the way his contract negotiations have gone with the Jets, Leons a good character guy. A team like Denver would be very interested where someone like McDaniels is familiar with him.

    Though he may not be worth a 2nd round pick in your mind, he may be worth a trade for the Jets to move up 6 spots, said trade partner gets Leon & another late round pick or future pick.
    Not every team in this league likes to spend a ton of money.
    Don't underestimate bad advice from his agent.

    Let's wait and see if any team invites Leon to workout for them prior to the April 15th deadline for extending offers to Restricted Free Agents.

    If no team works him out I highly doubt a team is going to trade for him a week later without any idea how he looks.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do fans buy into the agent spin?

    Every article that comes out, that is usually a regurgitation of some other article, or speculation by a beat reporter, spawns off additional speculation about the Jets maybe trying to move him. Then a fan catches wind of it and assumes the team is trying to do exactly that.

    And why is it with every one of these speculative pieces, Leon is made into an aging player? He's not, he's 27 years old, not 29. Yes, he's coming off of a leg injury, yes the team has a 2nd round tender, but that doesn't mean the Jets are trying to move him, they are playing his card correctly, they understand his trade value, they understand he's coming back from injury, so they are doing what is best for the team from a financial standpoint, it does NOT mean they are trying to move him, no matter how hard his agent, the beat reporters who have no clue, ESPN, or any other media outlet tries to spin it.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Why do fans buy into the agent spin?

    Every article that comes out, that is usually a regurgitation of some other article, or speculation by a beat reporter, spawns off additional speculation about the Jets maybe trying to move him. Then a fan catches wind of it and assumes the team is trying to do exactly that.

    And why is it with every one of these speculative pieces, Leon is made into an aging player? He's not, he's 27 years old, not 29. Yes, he's coming off of a leg injury, yes the team has a 2nd round tender, but that doesn't mean the Jets are trying to move him, they are playing his card correctly, they understand his trade value, they understand he's coming back from injury, so they are doing what is best for the team from a financial standpoint, it does NOT mean they are trying to move him, no matter how hard his agent, the beat reporters who have no clue, ESPN, or any other media outlet tries to spin it.

    This is one of those posts that get "regurtitated" the week after the headline,
    "Jets trade Leon in draft day deal"

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedjetgreen View Post
    Just for the record LW is 27 years old - will be 28 in August. He wears #29 however
    shhhhhhh, your logic and "Real Numbers" have no value here.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    More likely I think is that they will use him to recoup a pick or two. As soon as they draft another RB, Leon will be gone.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedjetgreen View Post
    Just for the record LW is 27 years old - will be 28 in August. He wears #29 however
    So does that mean they trade him for the 30th overall pick? I'll take it!

  17. #17
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    25,829
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colemonster View Post
    So does that mean they trade him for the 30th overall pick? I'll take it!
    And that new player will wear #31

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    18,349
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You like Leon, i also think you liked Rhodes as well no?

    I can easily see Leon signing our offer sheet and then with his permission being dealt for a 3rd rounder or so. I distinctly get the impression the Jets want to move him because having 2 of the 3 good backs having the same skill set and usage means Leon will be riding a lot of pine. The Jets have committed to LT as their 3rd down pass receiving back so if Leon is here he's a kick returner and possibly injury insurance.

    Would be better to move him and draft another young back that is a pounder.
    I did like Rhodes, don't see how that has anything to do with it though.

    As for Leon, this is a team that has done nothing but preach the ground and pound offense. Just because we have 2 backs now (without him) doesn't mean we're looking to ship the 3rd one off, it's ridiculous to constantly see threads like this when the Jets have given zero indication that they're interested in dealing him. The reason he got a 2nd round tender is because he's not healthy right now and they knew he would be safe at that level. There's nothing more to it then that. We had 3 very good runningbacks going into last year, we have 3 very good runningbacks going into this year. It just went from Jones, Washington and Greene to Greene, LT, and Washington.

    It makes zero sense to ship Washington off for less then a 2nd round pick, unless for some reason they believe that he'll never be the same player. In which case, surely, that's something that would show up on other teams physicals as well (And they won't be interested in our damaged goods then).

    PS: The only thing Leon and L.T. have in common is that they can catch the ball out of the backfield. L.T. has 20 pounds on Leon, one of the best stiff arms in the game, better blocking, better vision, more physical, can run goal-line and short yardage downs, able to handle 20 carries in a game if need be. Leon is more shifty, is better in the open field, and likely faster at this stage of their careers, he can return kicks and punts as well.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    We had Leon for 6 & 1/4 games last year. We played 11 and 3/4 more without him.
    I love Leon, he's just not "GREAT ENOUGH" to be pulling crap with his agent.
    Leon, "get on board or sayanara".
    You would think the Jets screwed him the way he's acting. He screwed himself by getting greedy. Sorry, no sympathy from this Jet fan.

    I am a fan of the NY Jets football "TEAM". The minute someone leaves, they are the enemy.
    I agree. I am tired of some JETS fans hero worship. The team comes first!

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    BURLINGTON, VERMONT
    Posts
    1,171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow

    I borught this up a week or so ago. I LOVE Leon but I could see us offering him up if a player we like falls in the draft (Brandon Graham hint,hint,hint).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us