Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jets must move up for Everson Griffin

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    I agree 100%, but I think Pro Days are overblown by most fans. Its a rehearsed dog and pony show. The IMPORTANT workouts are the private ones where the TEAM tells the PROSPECT what they want to see them do.
    they are overblown by everyone because nothing else is going on....

most of the time if a team sends a position coach to the pro-day to see player ABC they don't send them back for a private workout with ABC....the pro-days are run by position coaches who'll do a bit of everything and try to drive players into the ground...QB's have scripted workouts but it is still scripted for NFL skills...

if a team sends a position coach who say wants to see a d-lineman do a few drops into coverage because they run a lot of zone blitzes they can and usually request the player to do those specific drills/skills after the workout if they don't do them during it....

if gets costly sending these guys back and forth- that's why its' foolish for players to pass up an opportunity to workout when scouts are on hand....don't make their jobs harder than it is or inconvenient....

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I love this years draft. The Jets will have a real tough decision even if they stay at 29. I could see us having a tough decisions between WR, CB, DE OLB and Oline. Great year to be picking where we are.
    Very true, some good players will be there at 29 esp if picking earlier teams jump at flash in the pan types like JPP etc

I know trading up has worked out recently for us in the past but I think it is better if we stay where we are or trade down. This is a very deep draft and we need depth and youth for the future. Plus we only have six draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    #2)Not really, and DEFINITELY smaller. Dunlap's running about the same 40 at 6'6 280 lbs.
    just looked it up according to the combine results dunlap was 6'5" 1/2 277. Griffen was 6'3 1/2 273

2 inches and 4 pounds... not a huge difference... both run 4.5's at 270 those are great numbers.

even if we grant Dunlap is bigger, Griffen didn't get a dui - cleaner character.

people talk about not wanting another "gholston" well those guys are not going 6 overall.

i'm thinking more and more that dunlap may be available at 29...and i'm wondering if he's the jets pick. learns from ellis, rex coaches him up.

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    the jets are in a very good position to draft a future all pro in Everson Griffin.He has all the intangibles to play at either outside line backer or defensive end.pPlus he comes from a winning program.But I am sure that they would have to move up to get him.What say thee to this pick?

Trade up for him? You could trade DOWN for him if you wanted him.
    But why would you want him? The Jets have been down this road before. Draft a smaller 4-3 DE and make him a OLB. Hmmmm. Gholston II?

Get a real 3-4 DE. There will be one available. That is the Jets #1 need at this time. #2 need is OLB.
    Depending on how the board falls Jet can either go DE then OLB or OLB then DE. Looking closely at the talent I am beginning to think the latter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Vernon 2.0

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Not in favor of trading up for Griffin but USC prospects get no love at JI

No thanks, the Jets don't need to get Griffin.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Trade up for him? You could trade DOWN for him if you wanted him.
    But why would you want him? The Jets have been down this road before. Draft a smaller 4-3 DE and make him a OLB. Hmmmm. Gholston II?

Get a real 3-4 DE. There will be one available. That is the Jets #1 need at this time. #2 need is OLB.
    Depending on how the board falls Jet can either go DE then OLB or OLB then DE. Looking closely at the talent I am beginning to think the latter.
    While I don't believe they will go with a WR in the first round (Rightly so, WR are way to hit or miss to draft that high with enough confidence). i think going WR is a serious possibility especially if they especially like 1 of Tate, Benn or Thomas and think they get can move up overnight (a la shonn greene) enough to get him.

Given the way the roster is set up, it is difficult to imagine anyone we draft at #29 starting Game 1 or any game this season. We have solid starters already at every position, thanks to Tanny's pro-active approach. Therefore, it may make more sense to trade back and use the extra pick(s) to address depth at multiple positions. This is a very deep draft, and if a team somewhere in the first 10-15 picks of the 2nd round spots a player they have their heart set on when the Jets go on the clock, we should try to extract every bit of ransom possible for that pick.

Nobody we draft at WR or CB will start this year, guaranteed, with the personnel we already have at those positions, so why expend assets on that caliber of pick? If McCoy is still on the board, we should be pursuing trade options with the likes of Oakland, Buffalo, and Cleveland. Tampa Bay has two 2nd round picks, and might be in love with someone that falls to 29. We should have them on speed dial.

The only position that might pose an exception to the no-chance-of-starting rule is DE, but the good 3-4 DE's will still be available in the 2nd round, so we can trade down safely and still get a good one with that pick or our own in the 2nd (e.g. Wootton, Carrington).

On edit: I could see the Jets falling in love with Jerry Hughes and hoping he drops to them. Would they trade up for him, or anyone else? It has certainly been Tanny's M.O. in the past.
    Last edited by vinluvr; 04-02-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinluvr View Post
    On edit: I could see the Jets falling in love with Jerry Hughes and hoping he drops to them.
    historically the jets are more likely to draft a player from the big 10, pac 10, or sec than a player from the mountain west

jerry hughes got alot of sacks... but if you look at who he got them against... it's a list of no-names and non-prospects.

tanny tends toward really big school prospects... i like Jerry Hughes but my guess is tanny likes Graham, Kindle or even Griffen better.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.

^^ And all with one pass rushing move....running around them.

Quote Originally Posted by vinluvr View Post
    Given the way the roster is set up, it is difficult to imagine anyone we draft at #29 starting Game 1 or any game this season. We have solid starters already at every position, thanks to Tanny's pro-active approach. Therefore, it may make more sense to trade back and use the extra pick(s) to address depth at multiple positions. This is a very deep draft, and if a team somewhere in the first 10-15 picks of the 2nd round spots a player they have their heart set on when the Jets go on the clock, we should try to extract every bit of ransom possible for that pick.

Nobody we draft at WR or CB will start this year, guaranteed, with the personnel we already have at those positions, so why expend assets on that caliber of pick? If McCoy is still on the board, we should be pursuing trade options with the likes of Oakland, Buffalo, and Cleveland. Tampa Bay has two 2nd round picks, and might be in love with someone that falls to 29. We should have them on speed dial.

The only position that might pose an exception to the no-chance-of-starting rule is DE, but the good 3-4 DE's will still be available in the 2nd round, so we can trade down safely and still get a good one with that pick or our own in the 2nd (e.g. Wootton, Carrington).

On edit: I could see the Jets falling in love with Jerry Hughes and hoping he drops to them. Would they trade up for him, or anyone else? It has certainly been Tanny's M.O. in the past.
    Your trade DOWN concept is a logical concept. If the Jets drop down 10 spots they can still get a very good OLB. The good OLBs, however, looking at the list disappear at about pick 45 or so. Good DEs might still be around at #61 (Lamarr Houston).
    With the trade down get a good slot WR in the early third roiund - there will be plenty there.
    4-7 will provide a CB, S & a BPA. If Leon goes the whole thing changes with an extra #2 or 3. Then the Jets can reslly move up in the first and get a serios DL or OLB. Forget McCoy. He's a top 5. The Jets don't have the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Engine1 View Post
    I agree 100%, but I think Pro Days are overblown by most fans. Its a rehearsed dog and pony show. The IMPORTANT workouts are the private ones where the TEAM tells the PROSPECT what they want to see them do.
    "You wanna be a star don't ya???...Then take it off!"