Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: CB Syd'Quan Thompson might be a late round steal...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

CB Syd'Quan Thompson might be a late round steal...

He had a bad hamstring at the Senior Bowl and couldn't really compete, couldn't run at the combine and then disappointed when he ran times in the 4.6-4.7 range at his pro day when he re-aggravated the hamstring.

I've seen the kid play a few games and he impressed me, he also had a 12.2 average as a kick returner, he plays a tough feisty game. I think he's built to play in the slot, one of those guys that's more football player than anything, if teams go off the film alone he would go very high in the draft but the times will turn teams off, I would throw a sixth rounder on him and steal him.

Another guy I like late is Trevard Lindley CB from Kentucky, he's long and lean and breaks up a ton of passes, reminds me of Sam Madison when he came out of Louisville running in the 4.6 range, he can also be a nice late round steal, or might go undrafted with the depth at CB this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    12.2 yds avg on KOR???? Do you mean 22.2?
    or is 12.2 on punts, not KOR?

Some draft magazines had him in Rd #2.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Damyieon Hughes II

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all know that 40 times can be over blown as a tool to judge players but there comes a point where you can't ignore speed. If you want to play CB in this league you need a minimum amount of speed and that dude has not shown it, hammy or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We all know that 40 times can be over blown as a tool to judge players but there comes a point where you can't ignore speed. If you want to play CB in this league you need a minimum amount of speed and that dude has not shown it, hammy or not.
    the Jets already have syd'quan thompson except we call him dwight lowery...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    the Jets already have syd'quan thompson except we call him dwight lowery...
    That is exactly the name I was going to bring up. A guy with good football IQ, good film study, tries hard but just can't get there against the top notch receivers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's 12.2 a punt return, that's a great average.

And why is he Hughes exactly? Because they both went to Cal and ran slow 40's? I'm saying this kid can play and would be a steal in the 6th or 7th round, I still love Lowery's game and think he still has considerable upside, played super solid ball for us last year and won us the NE game with a crucial breakup, if Quan is anything like Lowery sign me up, especially late in this draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post

And why is he Hughes exactly? Because they both went to Cal and ran slow 40's? I'm saying this kid can play and would be a steal in the 6th or 7th round, I still love Lowery's game and think he still has considerable upside, played super solid ball for us last year and won us the NE game with a crucial breakup, if Quan is anything like Lowery sign me up, especially late in this draft.
    I think we need more than what this guys brings or doesn't

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was one of the biggest Syd'Quan fans around, still like him as a player, but he just doesn't have the timed speed that I thought he did.

It's tough to play CB in the NFL, covering some of the best athletes in the world, if you literally can't keep up. I thought he was a high 4.4/low 4.5 guy... 4.6+ isn't going to cut it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was the 4.6 a consequence of his aggravated hammy? Maybe it's not his true speed?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I was one of the biggest Syd'Quan fans around, still like him as a player, but he just doesn't have the timed speed that I thought he did.

It's tough to play CB in the NFL, covering some of the best athletes in the world, if you literally can't keep up. I thought he was a high 4.4/low 4.5 guy... 4.6+ isn't going to cut it.
    It's not just timed speed it's playing speed and it's obvious on film...

I did like him as a player in college- the problem is his best football may be behind him as he was terrific in his early years at Cal then leveled off....he just does not possess the physical talents to be anything other than a dime back in the NFL- and that's fine but the Jets have enough dime backs and really need to develop a nickel who can take over if Cromartie flails....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    It's not just timed speed it's playing speed and it's obvious on film...

I did like him as a player in college- the problem is his best football may be behind him as he was terrific in his early years at Cal then leveled off....he just does not possess the physical talents to be anything other than a dime back in the NFL- and that's fine but the Jets have enough dime backs and really need to develop a nickel who can take over if Cromartie flails....
    Very true. No need for another Lowery here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He had a bad hamstring at the Senior Bowl and couldn't really compete, couldn't run at the combine and then disappointed when he ran times in the 4.6-4.7 range at his pro day when he re-aggravated the hamstring.

I've seen the kid play a few games and he impressed me, he also had a 12.2 average as a kick returner, he plays a tough feisty game. I think he's built to play in the slot, one of those guys that's more football player than anything, if teams go off the film alone he would go very high in the draft but the times will turn teams off, I would throw a sixth rounder on him and steal him.

Another guy I like late is Trevard Lindley CB from Kentucky, he's long and lean and breaks up a ton of passes, reminds me of Sam Madison when he came out of Louisville running in the 4.6 range, he can also be a nice late round steal, or might go undrafted with the depth at CB this year.

Excellent call on Lindley. That kid can play! He was hampered by a bad ankle last year. He will be a steal in rd 7 or as a FA.

Re: Syd'Quan - is only 5ft 9. Though well built, I think we could use a taller CB but he is aggressive and will hit anything that moves. A big upgrade over DREW COLEMAN.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 04-01-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking 6th/7th round I have no problem at all with your enthusiam for the player. He would be worth taking a shot at there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

4.6 is not his true speed, the guy has been hampered by a hamstring for the last few months since the senior bowl, that's why I think he's a steal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather take a chance on a football player like Thompson who played all year on a bad ankle and shut down his opponents than on a 4.3 type who is nowhere near the football player. Thompson's true speed is probably in the high 4.4's low 4.5's, that is enough speed to stay with anybody if your game is polished enough. He does the little things right and that's what I like about him. Give me a guy who's alert and can break up a ton of passes over a Vontae Davis type any day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather take a chance on a football player like Thompson who played all year on a bad ankle and shut down his opponents than on a 4.3 type who is nowhere near the football player. Thompson's true speed is probably in the high 4.4's low 4.5's, that is enough speed to stay with anybody if your game is polished enough. He does the little things right and that's what I like about him. Give me a guy who's alert and can break up a ton of passes over a Vontae Davis type any day.
    don't U think he is a tad short for the NFL CB position?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

He's 5.9... plenty of corners in the league at 5.9, he's perfect as a nickel corner, he's quick and anticipates well stays with receivers in the shorter routes and breaks up passes and he also tackles well for his size. I like his overall football instincts, he plays very naturally.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Aaron Glenn and Ray Mickens say 'hello'.

If he is quick and can change directions well (and at 5'9", he better), he will match up in the slot, where size is not as important as the ability to stay with a Wes Welker (something we have lacked for a couple of years). I would go so far as to say the ability to match up with Wes Welker (or Julian Edelman) is a prerequisite for any CB we draft this year.