Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: A tribute to Ken O'Brien!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3950922]the toilet bowl maybe....no super bowl with joe walton as head coach- that's for sure....[/QUOTE]

Why stop at Walton...... go to SAR's sig and ALL of those knuckleheads would have ruined Marino with the exception of Pete Carroll who was not treated fairly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3950922]the toilet bowl maybe....no super bowl with joe walton as head coach- that's for sure....[/QUOTE]

Your letting your Fan hatred interfere with logic.. If Montana was with the Fins and Marino with the 49ers you would hate Montana.. I agree about Walton we should have kept Mitchael's..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;3950779]Stop with the stupid stats about completion %. I would take Sanchez over O'Brien in a minute!![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;3950778][B]Stop with the revisionist history on O'Brien.[/B] He was not a very good QB. He had a great arm but was a statue. He also had no football sense. He never scored a rushing TD in his career, and if it were 4th down and no receivers were open with an open field in front of him he would throw he ball away and end the drive.

He did not win a playoff game in his entire career.[/QUOTE]

This guy is on to something. LOVED O Brien (a little) but his draft pick (The YOUTUBE video) represents JETS management in a nutshell in the 80's.

Sanchez did more in 2 years than O Brien ever did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3950936]Oh yeah that's right, the immortal Mike Haight :shakehead[/QUOTE]

I was going to tell you that as well.. Williams was a 2nd rd pick but did Haight have the right name or what?? I hated Haight too..:P

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3950926]Your letting your Fan hatred interfere with logic.. If Montana was with the Fins and Marino with the 49ers you would hate Montana.. I agree about Walton we should have kept Mitchael's..[/QUOTE]

so you agree with me about Walton yet somehow saying Marino would not have done any better in NY under Walton is somehow fan hatered on my part??? :dunno:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3950909]absolutely...and the Jets will have no problem selling out the new stadium...[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The PSL's are sold out and the Jets just fired the stadium ticket sales staff.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3950954]Exactly. The PSL's are sold out and the Jets just fired the stadium ticket sales staff.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

correct....and money will be growing on trees this spring because of all the snow we've had...:P

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3950953]so you agree with me about Walton yet somehow saying Marino would not have done any better in NY under Walton is somehow fan hatered on my part??? :dunno:[/QUOTE]

No I mean in spite of Walton Marino would have been good.. The Jets were a much more talented team at every position except QB..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny O was the correct pick. He was just as good as Marino, Dan had a better line, weapons and of course, coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GoBigGreen;3951018]Kenny O was the correct pick. He was just as good as Marino, Dan had a better line, weapons and of course, coach.[/QUOTE]

WOW...Ken O Brien's MOM or maybe Ken himself posts on Jets Insider.;)

PLEASE stop drinking so early in the morning. Look at the film and perhaps you'll notice that in addition to Jimmy Hoffa being "put in concrete" in the meadowlands, so were KOB's feet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3950920]5:26 in the video- the catch against Seattle when he used his legs in midair to secure the ball...to this day one of the greatest catches i've ever seen....[/QUOTE]

Indeed. We must get the next generation.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwu6TTQ0gs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwu6TTQ0gs[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3950916]Kenny had 2 good years 85 and 86 and was never in Marino's class.. Marino had 2 5'9 W/R's and no running game.. Kenny had Toon, Walker ,Mickey Shuler and Freeman and Johnny Hector plus a Defense.. Marino would have won Bowls in NY.. BTW your last sentence is one of the smartest things you ever posted..;)[/QUOTE]

Your seriously on crack.

Marino had a hall of fame coach, O'Brien had, wait for it, drum roll please. Joe friggen Walton.

Marino had a very good offensive line for most of his career, O'Brien had an aging line with injury problems to be replaced by horrible draft picks.

Clayton and Duper were young and healthy while Wesley Walker would get hurt late in the season when we needed him most.

I would loved to see if Marino could keep playing after taking 40+ sacks per season.

Aside from a couple years with a healthy sack exchange, the Dolphins also had a better defense as well.

I am not saying that O'Brien would have done better than Marino but the gap isn't as big as you are saying.

======================
    Also, O'Brien went to the playoffs and a pro bowl in 1990 so suck it.
    Last edited by James Hasty; 02-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;3950769]Now Picture Ken O'Brien as our QB with this team NOW...with the Receivers we have. Scary! :eek:[/QUOTE]

I'd take the combination of Wesley Walker and Al Toon over anything we have at receiver right now. Walker was a deep threat we haven't had probably ever..... of course besides the great Don Maynard.
    Last edited by southside; 02-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GoBigGreen;3951018]Kenny O was the correct pick. He was just as good as Marino, Dan had a better line, weapons and of course, coach.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/laughter.gif[/IMG]

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=James Hasty;3951039]Your seriously on crack.

Marino had a hall of fame coach, O'Brien had, wait for it, drum roll please. Joe friggen Walton.

Marino had a very good offensive line for most of his career, O'Brien had an aging line with injury problems to be replaced by horrible draft picks.

Clayton and Duper were young and healthy while Wesley Walker would get hurt late in the season when we needed him most.

[B]I would loved to see if Marino could keep playing after taking 40+ sacks per season.[/B]
    Aside from a couple years with a healthy sack exchange, the Dolphins also had a better defense as well.

[B]I am not saying that O'Brien would have done better than Marino but the gap isn't as big as you are saying.[/B]
    ======================
    Also, O'Brien went to the playoffs and a pro bowl in 1990 so suck it.[/QUOTE]

So Kenny was a almost HOF'er?? :rolleyes: Marino was known for his quick release Kenny was known for his holding on to the ball to long.. Your talking as a player fan your not talking logical football.. BTW are you saying you would rather have had 5'9 Clayton or Duper over Walker???:eek:

BTW what's with the crack comment and suck it?? Are you that much of a child that you can talk football without name calling??:rolleyes:
    Last edited by Savage69; 02-05-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

[B]Please tell me this is a joke. You have to be kidding me?[/B] Kenny was surrounded by tremendous offensive talent:

WRs: Toon & Walker
    RBs: McNeil & Hector
    TE: Mickey Shuler

The offensive line looked a lot better on the occasions when Pat Ryan played. That's right Ken O'Brien was benched for the playoffs in '86 and Ryan beat the Chiefs and may have beaten the Browns had he not left the game with an injury.

[B]O'Brien never scored a TD in his entire career or won a post season game. [/B] Yes he threw a beautiful ball, but everything had to click right on offense for him to be effective, he was an absolute statue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marino would have never put up with this:

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDYtL1MuHCA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDYtL1MuHCA[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;3951053][B]Please tell me this is a joke. You have to be kidding me?[/B] Kenny was surrounded by tremendous offensive talent:

WRs: Toon & Walker
    RBs: McNeil & Hector
    TE: Mickey Shuler

The offensive line looked a lot better on the occasions when Pat Ryan played. That's right Ken O'Brien was benched for the playoffs in '86 and Ryan beat the Chiefs and may have beaten the Browns had he not left the game with an injury.

[B]O'Brien never scored a TD in his entire career or won a post season game. [/B] Yes he threw a beautiful ball, but everything had to click right on offense for him to be effective, he was an absolute statue.[/QUOTE]

That's a funny O'Brien stat Rushing TD's 0.. Namath who could barely run 7 :eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3951050]So Kenny was a almost HOF'er?? :rolleyes: Marino was known for his quick release Kenny was known for his holding on to the ball to long.. Your talking as a player fan your not talking logical football.. BTW are you saying you would rather have had 5'9 Clayton or Duper over Walker???:eek:

BTW what's with the crack comment and suck it?? Are you that much of a child that you can talk football without name calling??:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

For two and a half years Ken O'Brien damn sure looked like a hall of famer. A healthy strong OL, a healthy Wesley Walker, and a healthy sack exchange helped O'Brien win a shootout with Marino and to bring some gaudy stats into the pro bowl until the team was decimated with injuries to its young QB and aging veterans.

The team fell apart and for this you want to blame O'Brien. He was a tough SOB and stood in the pocket and took the hit to deliver the long ball. No he didn't have a quick release but what he did have was a deadly accurate cannon for an arm.

Saying that O'Brien only had two good years when he also led the team to a 10-1 start in a third year and went to the pro bowl in a fourth good year shows either evidence of a crack habit or some horrible math skills. I apologize for assuming the former.

The last time I checked Ken O'Brien and Dan Marino had the same number of SB rings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3951046][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/laughter.gif[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I love how people rewrite history and now Ken O'Brien is a good QB. Shows you how bad the Jets culture was in terms of accepting and celebrating mediocrity.

I'm waiting for the day somebody starts a thread to talk about how great Dick Steinberg was as a GM.