Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A tribute to Ken O'Brien!

All League
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3543248]he might have been better if they gave him a better line. i seem to recall he was sacked something like 70 times one season. one flaw he had was holdong onto the ball too long and taking the sack. hard to believe coslet launched him for boomer.[/QUOTE]
    he was launched for browning nagle. even worse.

All League
    [QUOTE=jims jetts;3543085][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq0F2whpl4[/URL][/QUOTE]
    i love this video, but can you guys see how many times in just this highlight video that the pocket just collapses on him? unbelieveable. they couldn't give him 1-2 seconds sometimes. he was a statue, but he could slide around in the pocket, which he did constantly with this crap line they had back then. he held the ball too long sometimes, but his line didn't do the job more often than o'brien held the ball. the guy got crushed on a regular basis and still got up. kinda reminds me of how david carr's career got ko'd. i think carr is a good qb who got hit so much in houston in messed him up.

The tragedy is that just previous to his great '85 and 86' seasons the Jets had a great line, running game and defense. The backbone of those earlier teams got old and ineffective just as the passing game was becoming potent. They missed it by about 2 years.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3543784]i love this video, but can you guys see how many times in just this highlight video that the pocket just collapses on him? unbelieveable. they couldn't give him 1-2 seconds sometimes. he was a statue, but he could slide around in the pocket, which he did constantly with this crap line they had back then. he held the ball too long sometimes, but his line didn't do the job more often than o'brien held the ball. the guy got crushed on a regular basis and still got up. kinda reminds me of how david carr's career got ko'd. i think carr is a good qb who got hit so much in houston in messed him up.[/QUOTE]

Great point

Thanks for posting this. Made me remember why I liked Ken O'Brien so much as a kid. Thinking back to my earliest memories of the Jets, I think O'Brien and the '82 season were the reasons why I became a Jets fan. The Jets were so much more exciting during those years than the Giants and I just fell in love with the Jets aerial attack.

One thing that sticks out in those highlights is how accurate Kenny was with the deep ball. He hit most of those receivers in stride on the deep patterns.

Folks nowadays mock the Jets for passing on Marino and taking O'Brien but I remember being completely satisfied with having O'Brien instead of Marino. Their careers - at least stats-wise - were comparable for quite a few years if I'm not mistaken. I know Marino is now a HOFer but he's got just as many Super Bowl rings as Kenny O'Brien.:D

Okay, so their stats weren't as comparable as I thought (I just looked them up) but I was still happy with O'Brien.
    Last edited by teng; 04-01-2010 at 02:09 PM.

All League
    o'brien wasn't the qb marino was, but he was a damn solid qb. when talking about the 83 draft, o'brien should not be in the list of crap qbs. eason and blackledge deserve it, but o'brien was a solid qb with very little help around him. with good coaching and an o-line, miami probably doesn't completely dominate the afc east during the 80s. i think 85 and 86 would have been the jets'. who knows after that what would happen in the playoffs?

All League
    My Favorite Jets QB ever.

Rookie
    Another big game O'Brien out played Marino,watch the throw in OT that O'BRIEN makes off his back foot to put the JETS in fieldgoal range to win the game and put the JETS in the playoffs!

[url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/11-jets-miami-12-13-91[/url]

Rookie
    Another great play!

[url]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4588337030866692898&ei=2mrqScCNLISmqAK3vpWhBg&q=1986+jets&hl=en#[/url]

Rookie
    and another great throw!

[url]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6391293225160155690&ei=RGvqSazEIIvcqAKqkO3uBQ&q=1986+jets&hl=en#[/url]

As other posters have stated this guy could have been better than even Joe Willie if only they had just had a decent O line. Instead of the sieve they put in front of him.The guy had a cannon for an arm but he had no legs. Some weeks it was just brutal watching the pounding he was taken.We can only hope that Sanchez's career won't mimic Obrien's!

Bewildered Beast
    I thought I read that O'Brien learned how to take a hit instead of forcing the ball...and part of that lesson was learning how to fall. I guess the weight transfer was less than it is today; KOB was big anyway.

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3543200]He was supposed to be Marino....[/QUOTE]

Marino won as many Super Bowls as O'Brein did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=David Harris;3543094]Insert picture of statue.[/QUOTE]

Or when he pussed out at the Goal line because he didn't want to get hit..:yes: OB took so long to get rid of the ball he had pigeons crapping on him..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Savage69;3544605]OB took so long to get rid of the ball he had pigeons crapping on him..[/QUOTE]

And now apparently, Jet fans too.

:rolleyes:

Kenny O Kenny O

:D

Rookie
    Kenny O's wisdom in a radio interview!

[url]http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/26134967[/url]

Rookie
    Kenny O takes on Ming!

[url]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1321326/ken_obrien_is_no_flash_gordon/[/url]

Rookie
    Congrats to Ken O'Brien being inducted to the Hall of Fame!

[url]http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/ncsa-92888-fame-hall.html[/url]

felt more like a Wesley Walker highlight reel.

But yeah, O'brien was vastly underappreciated.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Zombo;3543765]he was launched for browning nagle. even worse.[/QUOTE]

that was the worst call. When Nagle started stinking it up why not go back to kenny boy?