Thread: I want WR or CB... Tate, Thomas, or McCourty

I want WR or CB... Tate, Thomas, or McCourty

Everybody wants a safety because we let Rhodes go, the thought that we need a name player to replace Rhodes is ridiculous, plus, this draft is loaded in the 2nd through 4th round at this position. For some reason, I don't like Earl Thomas, I don't like his size, I want a Mays type, I'd even put Mays, Jones, Nate Allen and Morgan Burnett over Thomas. I also like Reshad Jones in the 2nd or 3rd, if we can get a 3rd round pick.

Everybody say's DE, I agree, it's one of the biggest needs on the team, but in Rex' style of defense, they don't need Mario Williams types of players, though if Dunlap fell, I'd want the Jets to pick him up without thinking twice about it. Truth is, Rex wants Devito II and a Devito III on the team, I think this is a position we can address in the 2nd and middle rounds, Greg Hardy, Tyson Alualu, Ricky Sapp, Alex Carrington, Corey Wootton, etc...

The bottom line, this is a very deep draft at out positions of need, but you need an impact player at the top, I know we picked up Cromartie, and I'm ecstatic about it, but our secondary was the reason we couldn't get past Indy, we lost Strickland, and then Lowery got banged up. We also need to replenish ST's, a guy like McCourty would come in, and immediately be an elite #3 CB, with the potential to be a #1 down the road. That isn't happening with Revis around, but that is my point, a 3 headed monster at CB, you can then trickle in the big hitters at safety, McCourty is going to be a stud, he can run, he's an elite ST's player, he would have a big role right away, and also provide outstanding depth at a position Rex covets the most on his defense.

If not McCourty, I say WR, and I'm a HUGE fan of Tate. I like the potential of Thomas, and while I'm skeptical about Dez Bryant, you can't deny his ability and his potential. The guy that I think makes the most sense, and who would come in and have an immediate role is Tate. He's the next Steve Smith, he would come in and be an elite #3 WR, and provide great depth behind Edwards and Cotchery. He plays great ST's, and he will have a big role there as well. He's a football junkie, has great character, and will work his ass off. He would be a huge weapon in the slot and is really perfect for the slot. He and Cotchery can switch in and out of the slot.

IMO these two players, and these two positions make the most sense for the Jets at #29, and will have an immediate impact with the team and pay immediate dividends, both are at positions of need and both play positions that can take the Jets to the next level. Load up at CB and the secondary and put this defense at ELITE, or give Sanchez another big time weapon, with big potential, who would have a great role right away. These two positions you go after at the top of the draft, unless a Dunlap, or maybe a Mays falls. I also like the argument for McCoy, I would have no problem drafting a future stud in the middle, Jenkins can bounce in an out.

Address DE, S, OL depth, LB depth later in the draft, the talent is there.

All League
    I think we would be fortunate to get any of the 3. I honestly think Tatae and McCourty are going to be beasts!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I'd be completely happy with Tate or McCourty. Meh on DT, I think Damian Williams would be a better pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

there's something to be said about drafting into a draft's strength...late in round one WR/CB/DL will all be strong positions...

All Pro
    well since its been the flavor du jour, i'd say i'd rather have mays than any WR not named bryant, or CB not named Haden/Wilson

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    there's something to be said about drafting into a draft's strength...late in round one WR/CB/DL will all be strong positions...
    Are you suggesting the Jets' decision makers planned accordingly, knowing that 2010 would be a deep draft for WRs, DEs, CBs?

I'm obviously aware that teams have a good grasp on how the next year's draft class looks a year in advance, but is this what you're suggesting?

Also if you look at the JInsider mock draft going on, round one has just been completed and there is indeed still a whack of talent around in those areas.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lets go DEFENSE...OLB

THen get this guy in the 4th

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
    Are you suggesting the Jets' decision makers planned accordingly, knowing that 2010 would be a deep draft for WRs, DEs, CBs?

I'm obviously aware that teams have a good grasp on how the next year's draft class looks a year in advance, but is this what you're suggesting?
    no- I'm just saying that it is always good to draft into a draft's strength because you can come away with the better players in the draft...

the fact the strength of the draft will be CB/DE/WR late in round one is coincidence...