Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Office didnt Play Fair with Leon...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3543251]Just by the way that was written it makes me doubt the veracity of the claim. Regardless of the numbers the Jets were under [U]no obligation[/U] to do anything but what they have done and like it or not it has turned out the [U]best for the team[/U].[/QUOTE]

Agree. That swine Keels is the culprit Leon should blame for his present troubles.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543314]By virtue of years of observation. The Jets never tell the truth about anything. Trades, injuries, etc. Typically, it works to the benefit of the team and the fans. But I am not so naive to think that they would not do something like this. Especially when there is lots of money on the line, I think anyone is capable of skullduggery.

[/QUOTE]

You know of an organization that is 100% honest 100% of the time?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, Alvin the Incompetent has completely failed to deliver Leon his promised big offer sheet on the open market, despite his claims of "multiple" teams being interested in Leon for the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Then, all of a sudden a "source close to Leon" (guess who?) comes out with this belated PR exercise to attempt to cover his own rear-end by blaming those nasty Jets for everything.

Keels and Leon made a massive mistake going into the season without signing a new deal last year, and now they are paying for that mistake - and attempting to blame anyone but themselves, and mostly the Jets, for their mistake.

Desperate move by a desperate agent, and a badly advised player who must now be beginning to notice that his agent can't deliver on any of his promises.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, take that jetsblog dogsh!t out of here. I am getting sicker by the minute that Leon lost his payday, and then this OCJet brings in a piece that attempts to divide the locker room or poison the locker room as a last ditch gambit...If I am Leon, I fire this guy yesterday on principle alone. Shake it off. Move on.

Leon: Alvin Keels is going to get you tarred as a cancerous malcontent in the NY sports media. How do you like your chance of a payday then?
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 04-01-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543314]By virtue of years of observation. The Jets never tell the truth about anything. Trades, injuries, etc. Typically, it works to the benefit of the team and the fans. But I am not so naive to think that they would not do something like this. Especially when there is lots of money on the line, I think anyone is capable of skullduggery.

Yes, this comes from a blog. But this is our own blog. You may malign Bassett, he defends himself thusly:[/QUOTE]

The injuries were lied about during the Mangini era. Ryan has been pretty straight forward about injuries from my obervations (he even revealed a training camp injury that Kris Jenkins suffered last year, something Mangini would have hid like the plague).

Trades? Seriously? Let's take the Kerry Rhodes situation. Before Rhodes was traded Mike Tannenbaum said the words "I expect Kerry Rhodes to be here next year unless something changes." Personally, I knew the last three words of that statement was Mike Tannenbaum's way of saying Rhodes was as good as gone. But suppose they "told the truth" and said "We're looking to trade Kerry Rhodes". Their leverage goes out the window and we're lucky to get a sixth rounder (reason being is that teams may become willing to wait us out for us to outright cut him).

In terms of Bassett, I wasn't actually attacking him. I like reading his blog on a daily basis and find good information. I personally (like many others have pointed out on this and many other boards) question why it is that if Washington was truly only offered only $2.4 million a year that Keels didn't talk to one beat writer to say "That's not what happened, here's the story" during the negotiations last year? Every Jet beat writer would have jumped at the opportunity to post this juicy story (front office vs agent disputing numbers) and this especially holds true for Rich Cimini.

Edit: On another note I'm starting to believe more and more that the Jets/Washington relationship is not reconcilable. Its a shame as he was truly a fan favorite for many years, but between how we plan on using him next year and what he (and his agent) feels he's worth, I believe that if no team signs him to an offer sheet before April 15th that we will end up trading him for less compensation on or before draft day.
    Last edited by newjakecity; 04-01-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]WestCoastOffensive[/B] [URL="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3543314#post3543314"][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/images_greenish/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Come on...you're the thread starter, and you make statements like this?
    Your credibility is stretched here, Mate. [/QUOTE]First of all I posted an article that I thought newsworthy, that had not been previously posted. My intent was informational. It came from what we typically think is a reputable source, whose sole purpose is to bring any news item on the Jets to light. As far as my statements, I stand by them. I have worked on Wall Street for 20+ years and have seen managements lie all the time. The Jets, like any organization are no different. They do what suits them and what is best for the organization and the management. I am not so much of a homer to think that this cannot be true. Whether it really is or not, will be born out in the future. As I said previously, the Jets typically use "favorable" mis-truths all the time. And yes the Coaches have changed, but Tannenbaum has been here for 10+ years and he [B][I]is[/I][/B] a lawyer.

If by merely posting this article and commenting that the Jets are not usually truthful, calls my credibility into question then so be it. I didn't write the article. I just posted it and stated that I would not put it past the Jets to do something like this. I would hope that they have more integrity than that, but given what I know people are capable of, nothing surprises me anymore.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would it suprise anyone if the article is treu about the Jets not being truthful or if the agent was the blame. Unfortunatley it is a business. The agent looking out for his interest as well as his client. The coaches and GM looking our for the team. Personally I can't see the team leaking false information about the deal, when they know the agent can rebut the story.
    Mike T stating that Kerry Rhodes will remain on the team was #1 the right thing to say. Once he announces to the entire world "yeah we want Kerry gone" the power is in the other team's hands dealing with Mike. Obvioulsy Rex is more open than Mangini is. But who cares, bottom line is the product on the field. If Leon walks away then let him go. He is replaceable. He is not Emitt Smith, Barry Sanders or Adrienne Peterson. He is a player that made some nice runs and moves, made some plays but then had a horrible injury. If Leon is not the way he was prior to the injury then we over paid for an average at best RB. Even his kick off returns where not that great prior to the injury last year.

No team is 100% honest - they can't be - this is a game of strategy... And it takes place on the field and in the offices as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leon's biggest issue is his agent. its obvious he screwed up not signing a deal before he got hurt and now he is a 28 year old RB coming off a broken leg looking for a pay day.....this is what i call damage control, and scrambling to save your ass...sucks for Leon...good for the Jets...as they now hold all the cards at this table. if i was the Jets i sit at the table with my shades on, i don't flinch, i let the other guy overplay his hand and then i take the pot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543203]Considering the Jets front office is not the most honest/ truthful group, I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I can understand why Leon would be a little ticked.[/QUOTE]

Only a fool would think that Keel has more credibility than the Jets when making declarations to the press. We won't ever know what the truth is about what the Jets last offer to Leon was. I have no doubt that [I]at some point[/I] there was a 2.5 million offer, but whether or not that was the final offer, I trust neither the Jets nor Keels to state the truth publicly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543421]First of all I posted an article that I thought newsworthy, that had not been previously posted. My intent was informational. It came from what we typically think is a reputable source, whose sole purpose is to bring any news item on the Jets to light. As far as my statements, I stand by them. I have worked on Wall Street for 20+ years and have seen managements lie all the time. The Jets, like any organization are no different. They do what suits them and what is best for the organization and the management. I am not so much of a homer to think that this cannot be true. Whether it really is or not, will be born out in the future. As I said previously, the Jets typically use "favorable" mis-truths all the time. And yes the Coaches have changed, but Tannenbaum has been here for 10+ years and he [B][I]is[/I][/B] a lawyer.

If by merely posting this article and commenting that the Jets are not usually truthful, calls my credibility into question then so be it. I didn't write the article. I just posted it and stated that I would not put it past the Jets to do something like this. I would hope that they have more integrity than that, but given what I know people are capable of, nothing surprises me anymore.[/QUOTE]

dude, you can't see that the title you chose for this thread is misleading? You did more than post an article. You stated your opinion that you thought the Jets were lying (together with your commentary that they are historically dishonest) in your opening remark. That is far more than "posting an article for informational purposes". Get real and be honest with your agenda. The irony is that you are doing kinda what you accuse the Jets of doing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3543275]hmmm....who should I believe, a respected newspaper (Even if it is Cimini), or a blog?

Nevermind, if the reported offer wasn't true, his agent would've sent out someone to shoot down this rumor immediately. Negotiations is a chess battle, you don't allow false information to be out there that hurts your case. Keels wouldn't have taken a false story like that lying down (until now).

Yeah, I'm calling bull****.[/QUOTE]

Very good point.... agents know how to play media outlets just like franchises do.

Why would Keels wait to clear the air? Even if for no other reason than to stand up for his client Leon Washington and not let him walk around looking like the bad guy to other franchises?

Different business entirely, but I have clients. As part of the account establishing process, we have to do backround checks to make sure potential clients are not nefarious (sp?) individuals as per the US Patriot Act. From time to time, someones name will match that of a person who may have had some sort of prior issue. As the clients advisor, its my job to respond to potential misinformation ASAP. I do a complete dis-service (sp?) by waiting to answer any questions raised.

Keels job is way more about his clients image than my job is. He has to be the advertiser for his players. He has to do his best job to make his client look clean and pristine. Waiting all this time, if this is true, has made Leon look less than accomodating and like less than a team player.

If this is in any way accurate, Leon should fire Keels immediately. He has allowed him to look like an ungrateful player who perhaps thinks more of his value than necessary.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=djaparz;3543429]
    Mike T stating that Kerry Rhodes will remain on the team was #1 the right thing to say. Once he announces to the entire world "yeah we want Kerry gone" the power is in the other team's hands dealing with Mike. Obvioulsy Rex is more open than Mangini is. But who cares, bottom line is the product on the field. If Leon walks away then let him go. He is replaceable. He is not Emitt Smith, Barry Sanders or Adrienne Peterson. He is a player that made some nice runs and moves, made some plays but then had a horrible injury. If Leon is not the way he was prior to the injury then we over paid for an average at best RB. Even his kick off returns where not that great prior to the injury last year.
    [/QUOTE]

This is basically the same way I feel and I too was a huge Leo fan but I have quickly sorrowed over his antics. We have a GREAT young team that are all about the TEAM and not just ME.

I also agree that Leon needs to think about making an agent change although I think it is too late to salvage anything with the Jets. I don't want to start talking down on Leon because I truly think all this comes down to his agents shortcomings on getting Leon his big payday. Bottom line is he should have taken the very 1st deal the Jets offered him but his agent wanted more. He got hurt with an injury that may never let him be the same or it could but not likely and now the Jets are suppose to give him more than they would have prior to the injury......B**SH**!!

Again I am not trying to badmouth Leon, just his agent :mad: but if Leon is worth so much more than why has he not been traded for. All the Jets want is a 2nd RD pick and although that is golden in this years draft it is not like it will kill a team and there are ALOT of teams that could use the services of a tough and speedy scat back who also returns kicks. So why has a deal not been done?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a VERY WELL KNOWN fact that Leon wanted the money that Sproles signed when he was tagged. The problem was that there was no way in hell Sproles was really worth that money and he knew it, the Chargers knew it, and there's a reason he's not making that much money. Leon wanted 6+ million a year, the Jets had no interest in giving him that and rightfully so.

Leon is/was a fan favorite, but he's really messing this contract situation up and now with his injury he's going to have to prove he's still worth the money. I hate to say it but he was pretty disappointing last year up until the injury and I've defended this guy's ability as a starter for years. He just didn't perform one way or the other. Bottom line is he took a gamble and lost. It's no one's fault but his own. The Jets had a very fair offer on the table, even if it wasn't for 4+ million, 3.5 million would have been fair IMO.

The problem I have is that the Jets are very fond of Leon, why would they dick him around like this? No guaranteed money? They were gonna guarantee Coles' 6 million just to keep him from crying yet they aren't gonna give Leon, an up and coming star in the league and major key to the offense, atleast 10 million of his contract guaranteed? Here's the problem, he wanted more money than Thomas Jones and that would have been absurd. Leon should be happy the Jets gave him a chance to be successful in this league instead of being a greedy prick. Let him go make his money, at the end of the day Leon isn't as important to the Jets as the other 4 players that have to sign to long term deals, and this doesn't even include Braylon Edwards who needs a new contract.

I have no doubt in my mind that someone is going to pay Leon, unfortunately it's not going to be the Jets and I'm pretty sure the Jets are gonna use him as leverage to move up on a player in the draft or just get an outright pick all together.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this was true Keels would have been tweeting like a mad man when the Jets stated they offered Leon 4/5 million. There is no way in hell Keels is silent if the Jets had only offered 2.5 mil and there are reports of the Jets offering 4/5 mil

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3543275]hmmm....who should I believe, a respected newspaper (Even if it is Cimini), or a blog?

Nevermind, if the reported offer wasn't true, his agent would've sent out someone to shoot down this rumor immediately. Negotiations is a chess battle, you don't allow false information to be out there that hurts your case. Keels wouldn't have taken a false story like that lying down (until now).

I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that there were varying accounts of how much the Jets were really offering Leon. I haven't fully accepted that the Jets were offering $4-5m in "real" money (as opposed to backloaded garbage) before this season. It doesn't really make that much sense and it makes even less sense that Leon would turn it down.

Bottom line, no one really knows what goes on in these contract negotiations. To me, its more logical to believe that the Jets offered something in line with what is being reported now and was subsequently turned down, than it is to believe that he turned down the numbers that were leaked pre-season.

IMO, Keels did a poor job as he needed to strike a deal with the Jets on the best terms possible and counsel his client to accept it. If that meant a 5 yr, $16 million deal with $6 million guaranteed, so be it. That's a fair deal for a guy who is a nice niche player, but short of super stardom.

But, I don't necessarily believe the Jets backed up the Brink truck like some of the reports implied.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3543589]I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that there were varying accounts of how much the Jets were really offering Leon. I haven't fully accepted that the Jets were offering $4-5m in "real" money (as opposed to backloaded garbage) before this season. It doesn't really make that much sense and it makes even less sense that Leon would turn it down.

Bottom line, no one really knows what goes on in these contract negotiations. To me, its more logical to believe that the Jets offered something in line with what is being reported now and was subsequently turned down, than it is to believe that he turned down the numbers that were leaked pre-season.

IMO, Keels did a poor job as he needed to strike a deal with the Jets on the best terms possible and counsel his client to accept it. If that meant a 5 yr, $16 million deal with $6 million guaranteed, so be it. That's a fair deal for a guy who is a nice niche player, but short of super stardom.

But, I don't necessarily believe the Jets backed up the Brink truck like some of the reports implied.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543314]By virtue of years of observation. The Jets never tell the truth about anything. Trades, injuries, etc. Typically, it works to the benefit of the team and the fans. But I am not so naive to think that they would not do something like this. Especially when there is lots of money on the line, I think anyone is capable of skullduggery. Yes, this comes from a blog. But this is our own blog. You may malign Bassett, he defends himself thusly:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this Alvin but who the hell is Brian Bassett and why would anyone take his word as gospel? And as for the Jets never telling the truth about anything I like it that Cappy Tannenbaum plays it close to the vest & the reason why he one of the top GM's in the league today.

Stop the nonsense. We want Leon back as a NYJ but $6 million a year is a little steep for a four year RB rehabbing a broken leg. Good luck with that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I call BS as well.

This is a whine & cheese story by the agent, which means that the player isn't getting the action he'd thought he'd be getting.

When the Cimini extension was out there, Keels NEVER refuted it. In fact, Leon's side put out a story that the dispute was over backloading or frontloading of the contract and not the $4-$5 million per year average. Plus, as noted, Leon wanted $6 million per (MJD money).

And, while we call Keels an idiot (which he is), Leon is the biggest fool because it was his and his financial future which he gambled on and lost.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enough of the nonsense. If this is true Leon should fire Alvin for not responding earlier. Alvin, just send the Jets the 49ers second round pick and let's all be done with this nonsense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kcb160;3543809]Enough of the nonsense. If this is true Leon should fire Alvin for not responding earlier. Alvin, just send the Jets the 49ers second round pick and let's all be done with this nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Keels will get Leon a monstrous deal with a team like the Raiders.