Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Office didnt Play Fair with Leon...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Front Office didnt Play Fair with Leon...

[QUOTE]
    [URL]http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/31/tjb-exclusive-jets-max-offer-to-leon-was-2-4-million-last-year/[/URL]

[B][URL="http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/31/tjb-exclusive-jets-max-offer-to-leon-was-2-4-million-last-year/"]TJB Exclusive: Jets Max Offer Extension to Leon was $2.4 Million per Year[/URL][/B]

Posted on March 31st, 2010 by Bassett

According to a source close to Leon Washington that talked exclusively to TheJetsBlog.com, it’s time to clear out some of the tangled web the Jets front office has tried to weave during the Leon Washington contract standoff. Webs that apparently began as early as last summer with a tone-setting August [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/08/19/2009-08-19__ryan_takes.html#ixzz0jlXaPWLp"]Daily News report[/URL] that the Jets had “a $5million-a-year offer on the table, [with] $10 million in guarantees” waiting for the Jets running back to sign.
    It was left to the public assume the running back walked away from the deal. According to TJB’s source, this report was untrue. The team offered under half of what they told the Daily News they did.
    No contract even close to those figures was offered by the team to Leon Washington’s camp.
    Instead, the source contends that “”the Jets … offered $2.4 million. Leon is worth way more than that.” In addition to the $2.4 million offer by the Jets there was no bonus or guarantees that kicked in until at least next year.
    As it stands now, assuming Washington signs his tender sheet from the Jets, the fifth year player will make just under $1.8 million in his fifth season via his second round tender.
    “Trust me, if the Jets would have offered him the [reportedly leaked $5.0 million offer] he would have been signed,” the source stated. “But they didn’t.”
    Due to the untimely CBA-RFA restrictions for Washington along with his season ending injury, his contract status with the team have made headlines again due to the team’s surprising [URL="http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/04/jets-announce-restricted-tenders-to-release-three/"]second round tender[/URL], agent Alvin Keels’s [URL="http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/03/twitter-cimini-keels-talk-washington/"]public assertions[/URL] that there are other teams interested in adding Leon, and [URL="http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/23/the-rundown-why-leons-absent-and-why-its-a-good-idea-for-him/"]Leon’s absence[/URL] from the team’s voluntary workouts that started last week in Florham Park.
    The source also said that at least two other teams are “interested” in Washington.
    Beyond the money, the source contends that the false report about the dollar figures offered by the Jets last summer was a move by the Jets front office to curry favor with fans, effectively driving doubt between fans and Washington should a future separation occur due to contractual differences. In other words, the preemptive leak would cover the Jets from a public relations standpoint with their fanbase in a botched negotiation with one of the faces of the franchise.
    “The Jets released [the false contract] to get fans against him in case he goes to another team and does well,” said the source.
    As for Rex Ryan’s [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5028188"]public statements last week[/URL] not knowing why Leon wasn’t at the facility for workouts, the source also claimed that the Jets running back “spoke with them everyday” and [B]that team shouldn’t be surprised at his absence, especially since the team pays the bill for his off-site workouts.[/B]
    [I]The Jets front office was asked for comment, but as of the posting of this article have not made a statement.[/I]

[/QUOTE]Considering the Jets front office is not the most honest/ truthful group, I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I can understand why Leon would be a little ticked.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you give reports that are most likely leaked by players agents, who have their own agenda and need to cover their own a$$es when negotiations go south any more credibility than what the front office says.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Leon's agent is the one to blame if you're gonna point the finger at anyone...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    **** really??

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3543213]I think Leon's agent is the one to blame if you're gonna point the finger at anyone...[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Keels has been nothing but trouble for Leon since day 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543203][B]Considering the Jets front office is not the most honest/ truthful group[/B], I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I can understand why Leon would be a little ticked.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand why you're jumping to this conclusion

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3543238]Not sure I understand why you're jumping to this conclusion[/QUOTE]

they'll bring up kendall and baker and have us pay anyone who asks what they want. :rolleyes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So according to a source... (Aka Keels or an associate of Keels)

The Jets low balled Leon.

What that associate won't say is, even if it were true, Leon would have made more money with that contract than he will for the rest of his life.

Congrats :thumbup:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3543241]they'll bring up kendall and baker and have us pay anyone who asks what they want. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You mean the Pete Kendall that was out of the league a year after the contract dispute and the Chris Baker that New England gave the money he thought he was worth only to cut him a year later after proving he was a JAG :eek:?

I figured that's where he was going, but wanted to respond with that :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just by the way that was written it makes me doubt the veracity of the claim. Regardless of the numbers the Jets were under no obligation to do anything but what they have done and like it or not it has turned out the best for the team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3543245]You mean the Pete Kendall that was out of the league a year after the contract dispute and the Chris Baker that New England gave the money he thought he was worth only to cut him a year later after proving he was a JAG :eek:?

I figured that's where he was going, but wanted to respond with that :D[/QUOTE]

Pete played 2 years with the Skins.

And the argument from Jets fans is our porous OL from 2007.

Ya know. It sucks. A lot.

It got better though :thumbup:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey, even if the offer was true, he's still be ahead of where he is right now. and let's not forget that most of these players do value themselves much higher than they are really worth. look at mawae. he gets launched and gets more than replaced by mangold at a third of the cost.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry but I still think Alvin Keels is the problem and he will probably be the cause of Leon leaving town.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3543255]Pete played 2 years with the Skins.

And the argument from Jets fans is our porous OL from 2007.

Ya know. It sucks. A lot.

It got better though :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

My mistake.

The thing the Jets did wrong in 07 was not finding an adequate replacement (Adrien Clarke wasn't even an NFL caliber backup). But I still contend to this day that Kendall was on his last legs. Heck I even remember hearing people on this very board saying early in the 07 offseason (before the contract dispute) that the Jets needed to upgrade Kendall's position for that very reason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm....who should I believe, a respected newspaper (Even if it is Cimini), or a blog?

Nevermind, if the reported offer wasn't true, his agent would've sent out someone to shoot down this rumor immediately. Negotiations is a chess battle, you don't allow false information to be out there that hurts your case. Keels wouldn't have taken a false story like that lying down (until now).

Yeah, I'm calling bull****.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]“”the Jets … offered $2.4 million. Leon is worth way more than that.”[/QUOTE]

who were they talking to? :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    something is def up here. the jets initially offered 2 mil and leon balked at that. they then came back reportedly with 4 mil, then 4.5, then 5 mil. so all those counteroffers were bull? why would the jets go out of their way to do that?

if the jets came out and said they offered him 5mil a year and he signed it and later we find out its only 2.5 mil/year, wouldn't that look bad on the jets anyways? I find this story hard to believe.... you can't just make up fake contracts because the truth will come out eventually.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]OC_Jet[/B] [URL="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3543203#post3543203"][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/images_greenish/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    [I][B]Considering the Jets front office is not the most honest/ truthful group[/B], I wouldn't be surprised. If so, I can understand why Leon would be a little ticked.[/I]
    [/QUOTE] [QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]newjakecity[/B] [URL="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3543203#post3543203"][IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/images_greenish/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
    Not sure I understand why you're jumping to this conclusion [/QUOTE]By virtue of years of observation. The Jets never tell the truth about anything. Trades, injuries, etc. Typically, it works to the benefit of the team and the fans. But I am not so naive to think that they would not do something like this. Especially when there is lots of money on the line, I think anyone is capable of skullduggery.

Yes, this comes from a blog. But this is our own blog. You may malign Bassett, he defends himself thusly:

[QUOTE] [B][URL="http://thejetsblog.com/"]Bassett[/URL][/B], on [URL="http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/31/tjb-exclusive-jets-max-offer-to-leon-was-2-4-million-last-year/#comment-258420"]March 31st, 2010 at 2:20 pm[/URL] Said:
    MattNYC-
    Point taken, but pointing out hypocrisy doesn’t make it untrue. Even if doing so makes me a less credible source, I’m willing to go the wall on this one.
    Take it for what it’s worth. I wouldn’t publish this if I didn’t think the source was credible.
    I’m not going to get into a “who’s more hypocritical than whom” but however you boil it down, I think it’s hypocritical for:
    1) the Jets to knowingly leak false information about their players who are loyal to their organization
    2) newspapers to blindly publish reports because the team tells them it’s true without validating or attempting to validate the other side. I at least attempted to contact the Jets who rebuffed me, and gave them a full day to do so.
    [/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543314]By virtue of years of observation. The Jets never tell the truth about anything. Trades, injuries, etc. Typically, it works to the benefit of the team and the fans. But I am not so naive to think that they would not do something like this. Especially when there is lots of money on the line, I think anyone is capable of skullduggery.

Yes, this comes from a blog. But this is our own blog. You may malign Bassett, he defends himself thusly:[/QUOTE]

Except it fails to meet even the most basic common sense rules.

Why would Alvin Keels allow a false newspaper report that hurts his client's leverage to stand without any attempt to dispute the story? And even if you believe that this is his attempt to do so, it's only 8 months too late.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OC_Jet;3543314]By virtue of years of observation. [B]The Jets never tell the truth about anything.[/B] Trades, injuries, etc. Typically, it works to the benefit of the team and the fans. But I am not so naive to think that they would not do something like this. Especially when there is lots of money on the line, I think anyone is capable of skullduggery.

Yes, this comes from a blog. But this is our own blog. You may malign Bassett, he defends himself thusly:[/QUOTE]
    Come on...you're the thread starter, and you make statements like this?

Your credibility is stretched here, Mate.