Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie ready for a 'fresh start'

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie ready for a 'fresh start'

Jet beat writers have access to players today at Florham Park so there should be some stories coming out from Cimini, Hutch etc...

On a team filled with big talkers and stand-up comedians, Antonio Cromartie has decided to take the road less traveled.

So, he’s keeping a low profile.

The talented cornerback, hoping to return to his 2007 Pro Bowl form that included an NFL-high 10 interceptions, said today that doesn’t necessarily feel like he needs an I-told-you-season with his new team.

“I don’t think I need to prove myself to anybody,” said Cromartie, who was acquired from the Chargers last month. “I feel like I know what I’m capable of. My teammates have encouraged since I’ve been here.”

Cromartie said he’s eager for a “fresh start” after he clashed with the Chargers.

“Was I unhappy? Yes,” Cromartie admitted during the team’s first media availability of offseason during voluntary workouts. “It was just some of the things going on in-house that I really didn’t like… I felt for myself and the organization, giving me a fresh start (was best).”

The athletic cornerback also said that he didn’t ask the Jets to front him $500,000 of his $1.7 million contract in 2010 to take care of his paternity issues. Cromartie has seven children from six different women.

“No request made at all,” Cromartie said. “The Jets wanted me to get all my off the field issues settled. It’s done. That was the biggest thing for me. And for me to focus and play the way I wanted to play. It was a blessing.”

Cromartie said it wasn’t strange to see his private life become so public in the past month.

“It’s not even a burden or a distraction,” Cromartie said. “My off the field issues don’t really distract me. I just wanted everything taken care of like I’m supposed to…. I’m not afraid to talk about my personal life.”

His new teammates instantly embraced him.

“We’re just fitting more pieces to the puzzle to try to get to the Super Bowl and try to win it in these next couple years,” Darrelle Revis said. “We know (Cromartie’s) a Pro Bowl caliber cornerback. He’s young too. You got two cover corners on each side. It’s going to be hard for you to throw on us.”

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/jets_cornerback_antonio_cromar_1.html[/URL]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3543659]Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie ready for a 'fresh start'[/QUOTE]

April Fools!!! Good one!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TampaT;3543668]April Fools!!! Good one![/QUOTE]

That's the writers headline, not mine. No April Fools joke. It's a legit story

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3543671]That's the writers headline, not mine. No April Fools joke. It's a legit story[/QUOTE]

Jokes on you!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;3543692]Jokes on you![/QUOTE]

Whatever you say.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    As awesome as Revis and Chromartie have the potentail to be (best corner tandem around) a Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel tandem will be nothing to write off in Philly.
    If the Mcnabb rumors hold any water.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greaser;3543700]As awesome as Revis and Chromartie have the potentail to be (best corner tandem around) a Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel tandem will be nothing to write off in Philly.
    If the Mcnabb rumors hold any water.[/QUOTE]

Why would Philly want Aso in any trade proposal?

CB is probably the deepest position on that team. Hell, top to bottom they probably have the best lineup at corner in the league. Samuel and Sheldon Brown are both pro-bowlers. Ellis Hobbs is one of the better nickel's in the game. Joselio Hanson is a solid player as well.

I think the Eagles would want Oakland's 2nd round pick and probably a 4th or 5th as well. But no Asomugha.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3543730]Why would Philly want Aso in any trade proposal?

CB is probably the deepest position on that team. Hell, top to bottom they probably have the best lineup at corner in the league. Samuel and Sheldon Brown are both pro-bowlers. Ellis Hobbs is one of the better nickel's in the game. Joselio Hanson is a solid player as well.

I think the Eagles would want Oakland's 2nd round pick and probably a 4th or 5th as well. But no Asomugha.[/QUOTE]

outside looking in they are great

actually following the team, samuel isn't consistent as his salary would demand and is really a zone guy, sheldon brown is unhappy - wants a new deal he isn't gonna get... and that leaves nickels and dimers. Aso would be welcomed in Philly with open arms... he can play man to man shut down and allow them to Blitz more.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greaser;3543700]As awesome as Revis and Chromartie have the potentail to be (best corner tandem around) a Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel tandem will be nothing to write off in Philly.

true but they don't have Revis and people will say Asomugha is comparable, sure, but Revis is the best CB in football and I'd say it's not as close as people think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro's 'fresh start' consists of 'wrapping that rascal' from now on? :rolleyes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Greaser;3543700]As awesome as Revis and [B]Chromartie[/B] have the potentail to be (best corner tandem around) a Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel tandem will be nothing to write off in Philly.

that's a pretty creative spelling of Cro's name. maybe he will get a grill to salute you.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3543987]that's a pretty creative spelling of Cro's name. maybe he will get a grill to salute you.[/QUOTE]

THIS is creative, KHROMARRTIEY

Much more creative than a 'H" were it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Greaser; 04-01-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3543904]Cro's 'fresh start' consists of 'wrapping that rascal' from now on? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

POTW

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUCQAQ_mB0[/url]

Did anyone ask him why he quit on the Shone Greene backbreaker in the playoffs?

Did anyone ask him why he quit on the Thomas Jones first down that iced it in the playoffs?

Past reputation is okay, but in the last game he played he just quit at the worst possible moment. I don't think his sperm count or his coaching staff are to blame here.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3544509][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUCQAQ_mB0[/URL]

Did anyone ask him why he quit on the Shone Greene backbreaker in the playoffs?

Did anyone ask him why he quit on the Thomas Jones first down that iced it in the playoffs?

Past reputation is okay, but in the last game he played he just quit at the worst possible moment. I don't think his sperm count or his coaching staff are to blame here.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

He's already talked about the Greene run. Look up some articles when he spoke to the NY media after the trade.

The TJ 1st down? It was a 2 yard run That was Cromartie's fault? where were the Chargers DL, LBs and Safetys?