Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Veteran

Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments
    Apr1 4/1/2010 10:59:08 AM | More

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports when S Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cardinals, he delivered some parting shots, saying he felt the Jets' coaching staff usurped his leadership responsibilities by giving the play-calling responsibilities on defense to former Raven players -- i.e. S Jim Leonhard. Rhodes called it "a slap in the face," suggesting it hampered his ability to make plays.

Leonhard, addressing the matter today for the first time, said the coaching staff was actually trying to help Rhodes and that he took it the wrong way.

"They wanted to take some of the load off Kerry's shoulders," Leonhard told me during the first open locker-room session for media. "He didn't need to shoulder as much of the burden as he did in the past. I think they thought that would free him up to concentrate on making plays. Apparently, he took it the wrong way. They weren't trying to slight him at all. They were trying to make it easier for him."

We all know how it worked out. Rhodes didn't make any big plays over the first 10 weeks and was temporarily demoted. When he returned to the starting lineup, he finally started to deliver impact plays -- but not enough to keep him around.

Rhodes' post-trade comments came off as selfish, considering the Jets finished No. 1 in overall defense. Leonhard didn't want to label Rhodes that way, but he ackowledged, "He was hurt. I understand how he felt. He didn't leave here on the terms he would've liked. I have no hard feelings toward him, but I just know the coaching staff wasn't trying to take anything away from him. They were trying to make him a better player and he took it the wrong way."

Leonhard wants a new starsky...

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Leonhard is a good guy and played this perfectly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rhodes is an idiot.

His tremendous ego and absurdly inflated sense of personal production will prevent him from becoming a great player.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3543780]Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports when S Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cardinals, he delivered some parting shots, saying he felt the Jets' coaching staff usurped his leadership responsibilities by giving the play-calling responsibilities on defense to former Raven players -- i.e. S Jim Leonhard. Rhodes called it "a slap in the face," suggesting it hampered his ability to make plays.

Leonhard, addressing the matter today for the first time, said the coaching staff was actually trying to help Rhodes and that he took it the wrong way.

"They wanted to take some of the load off Kerry's shoulders," Leonhard told me during the first open locker-room session for media. "He didn't need to shoulder as much of the burden as he did in the past. I think they thought that would free him up to concentrate on making plays. Apparently, he took it the wrong way. They weren't trying to slight him at all. They were trying to make it easier for him."

We all know how it worked out. Rhodes didn't make any big plays over the first 10 weeks and was temporarily demoted. When he returned to the starting lineup, he finally started to deliver impact plays -- but not enough to keep him around.

Rhodes' post-trade comments came off as selfish, considering the Jets finished No. 1 in overall defense. Leonhard didn't want to label Rhodes that way, but he ackowledged, "He was hurt. I understand how he felt. He didn't leave here on the terms he would've liked. I have no hard feelings toward him, but I just know the coaching staff wasn't trying to take anything away from him. They were trying to make him a better player and he took it the wrong way."[/QUOTE]

Way to take the high road. I'm liking the fact that we moved Rhodes more and more.

Jim Leonhard = Class.

All League
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;3543794]Way to take the high road. I'm liking the fact that we moved Rhodes more and more.[/QUOTE]

Not only that...

I'm liking Leonhard more and more!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=SMC;3543791]Rhodes is an idiot.

His tremendous ego and absurdly inflated sense of personal production will prevent him from becoming a great player.[/QUOTE]

Look at these tweets from Kerry from the past couple of days.

[B][I]just landed on way to the city to get my measurements done again im on my get swole workouts! dont wanna bust thru my suit!

gmorning to all my people! lets be great 2day! i plan on being the catalyst so just follow my lead!! [/I][/B]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Buster;3543787]Leonhard is a good guy and played this perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Some guys do their talking on the field.

He's definitely a Mangini guy.

In all seriousness, strictly business. I like Jim, a lot.

He should have said, "Man F Scaredy Rhodes!" I would have lost zero respect for him. Haha.

[QUOTE=SMC;3543791]Rhodes is an idiot.

His tremendous ego and absurdly inflated sense of personal production will prevent him from becoming a great player.[/QUOTE]

i don't think it's fair to call him an idiot, although his priorites regarding football are questionable at best.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jayrad01;3543780]Jets Leonhard sounds off on Kerry Rhodes comments

Rhodes' post-trade comments came off as selfish, considering the Jets finished No. 1 in overall defense. Leonhard didn't want to label Rhodes that way, but he ackowledged, "He was hurt. I understand how he felt. He didn't leave here on the terms he would've liked. I have no hard feelings toward him, but I just know the coaching staff wasn't trying to take anything away from him. They were trying to make him a better player and he took it the wrong way."[/QUOTE]
    Unlike Hollywood this how a professional athlete should conduct himself. Unlike Hollywood JL puts TEAM before himself. KUDOS!!

Gato in 5....4....3....2... ;)

Kerry is one self important blowhard :steamin:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

To play devil's advocate to some extent, Leonhard saying that the coaching staff wanting to take the load off of Kerry's shoulders is basically akin to saying that they didn't want Rhodes to be the QB of the defense anymore....esentially taking away responsibility from him. Considering that he was the Man back there for several years and now this new staff is coming in and brought in their own guy, I can see how he "took it the wrong way".

Overall, Rhodes didn't really make this into a cantekerous situation. Even after he got benched, its not as if he became a lockerroom cancer. He didn't gel with CS and the role they envisioned for him. That happens sometimes - even with the great Rex Ryan.

I don't mind Rhodes still and still would rather have him than Poole and a 4th. I think he will definitely benefit from a change in scenery.

Very well played by Leonhard, but gotta agree with Crasherino's analysis here. Any man with some pride in his work would take offense to what happened.

I'm sure the fact that they went and painted Rhodes as some kind of diva pissed him off even more. I'd say both sides handled the situation as best they could, but we'd be a better football team right now if we had Rhodes.

Kerry Rhodes complained about losing authority in calling plays on the field the same year our passing defense went from 29th to 1st in the league.

sounds like a diva to me. an incompetent one, at that. maybe he should have been studying his playbook instead of taking extra roles in terrible music videos.

I agree that Leonhard handled it very well. As for Rhodes, I don't really care that much whether he took offense, whether he was right to be hurt, etc etc. I care about whether he made plays. Which he didn't, despite his obvious talent. If he felt it was a slap in the face (poor Kerry), he had the choice of working hard to show the coaches that he belonged as a leader.

Numerous reports state that Rhodes fell out of favor in the locker room... I'd call that cancerous.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3543936]To play devil's advocate to some extent, Leonhard saying that the coaching staff wanting to take the load off of Kerry's shoulders is basically akin to saying that they didn't want Rhodes to be the QB of the defense anymore....esentially taking away responsibility from him. Considering that he was the Man back there for several years and now this new staff is coming in and brought in their own guy, I can see how he "took it the wrong way".

Overall, Rhodes didn't really make this into a cantekerous situation. Even after he got benched, its not as if he became a lockerroom cancer. He didn't gel with CS and the role they envisioned for him. That happens sometimes - even with the great Rex Ryan.

I don't mind Rhodes still and still would rather have him than Poole and a 4th. I think he will definitely benefit from a change in scenery.[/QUOTE]

Agreed that he should be upset. However, after the first couple of games when you see your defense becoming dominant, you should have the sense to play as best you can in the role you're given. He waited till after he was benched to do so...