Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Military Spending.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Global Military Spending.

Very interesting.

Link:

[url]http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/apr/01/information-is-beautiful-military-spending[/url]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason we spend so much is to make it near impossible for rival military's to match the technology that we have. Our Navy is extremely powerful and has global reach. We spend our money on things like F-22's, and other 5th Gen fighters that will be key to controlling the air in a major conflict. We currently have 11 Aircraft Carriers, 10 of which are Nimitz Class. We are also building a new class, the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_R._Ford_class_aircraft_carrier"]Gerald R. Ford class[/URL]. We plan to build 3 of these. The thing that scares the hell out of me is China has missiles that could take these down fairly easily.

I was kinda surprised to see Saudi Arabia so high on that list. When was the last time they were at war? The Gulf war? The one where they called on the US to defend their land. Maybe they increased spending after that so if a situation like that happened again they would be able to defend themselves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting topic as long as things don't go political.

Here's my non-political question:

What is the economic benefit of spending money on military? My first impression is that it deters our enemies from attacking us, but why do we have enemies in the first place? What's the point of being a global super power. It puts a burden on us financially when we could be spending this military funding on things like fixing domestic issues such as education reform, social security, and health care.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3544048]why do we have enemies in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Because the most basic nature of humanity is for War, Murder, Jealousy and Greed.

And yes, if this thread even touches on Politics, it will be locked if I am online. I think I've been pretty clear in locking all the Political threads I see, I expect folsk to start getting the hint.

Please, I ask nicely, do not make me issue warning or bannings for folks who simply cannot keep their politics to themselves (at least till Sooth, in his isdom, sees fit to restore the Poli Forum and "hire" new Mods to run it).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3544053]Because the most basic nature of humanity is for War, Murder, Jealousy and Greed.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with that, no one is gearing up to take down Canada. Part of the animosity towards America stems from our presence in global politics, which in turn requires us to protect ourselves with higher military spending.

But then again, Canada isn't looking to be a global superpower either. So I guess the point is you can't be a global superpower unless you have the guns to back it up.

So then the question becomes, what are the economic benefits of being a global superpower?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3544048]Interesting topic as long as things don't go political.

What is the economic benefit of spending money on military? My first impression is that it deters our enemies from attacking us, but why do we have enemies in the first place? What's the point of being a global super power. It puts a burden on us financially when we could be spending this military funding on things like fixing domestic issues such as education reform, social security, and health care.[/QUOTE]

In a perfect world you are right, wouldn't that be nice but tell that to Israel, and see what they say. We will always be a target for somebody. Ideology, Human Rights , Ways of life, everyone has a different application. Some right ,some wrong we are not entirely correct. It is also a big chunk of our economy, the almighty buck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3544053](at least till Sooth, in his isdom, sees fit to restore the Poli Forum and "hire" new Mods to run it).[/QUOTE]

Or at least until he gets some of the hardly ever moderating mods to pull their weight.

:D

;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3544059]In a perfect world you are right, wouldn't that be nice but tell that to Israel, and see what they say. We will always be a target for somebody. Ideology, Human Rights , Ways of life, everyone has a different application. Some right ,some wrong we are not entirely correct. It is also a big chunk of our economy, the almighty buck.[/QUOTE]

Israel is in a special situation. Their enemies want their land, which happens to be the birth place of all three major religions in the world.

We share many of the same ideologies, human rights, and ways of life as many other democratic republics around the world yet they don't find themselves having the same amount of enemies as we do. My theory is that it has something to do with the presence we have in global politics.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3544048]Interesting topic as long as things don't go political.

What is the economic benefit of spending money on military? My first impression is that it deters our enemies from attacking us, but why do we have enemies in the first place? What's the point of being a global super power. It puts a burden on us financially when we could be spending this military funding on things like fixing domestic issues such as education reform, social security, and health care.[/QUOTE]

fact is spending on the military does create jobs either within the military, off the military bases or from defense contractors- creating revenue, taxes, etc and economic benefit....whether or not the money is spent efficiently is another story...

as far as cutting back on the military and using the $$$ in fixing domestic issues- you are eventually heading towards an expansion of the entitlement programs you mention....what is the economic benefit of that???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imperialism costs money, thats why.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Crease29;3544065]Israel is in a special situation. Their enemies want their land, which happens to be the birth place of all three major religions in the world.

We share many of the same ideologies, human rights, and ways of life as many other democratic republics around the world yet they don't find themselves having the same amount of enemies as we do. My theory is that it has something to do with the presence we have in global politics.[/QUOTE]

So then we don't have to sell them planes, and give them $ anymore, and protect them? You do Realize that most of problems stem from the Middle East?.....Not trying to start anything...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I certainly want the United States of America to remain the most powerful military force in the world, 607 billion for a country with 350 - 400 million people, more than ten times the next country (China - population 2 billion - military budget 61 billion), is, in my opinion, excessive.

How about like... 400 billion a year?

We'll still be far ahead of every one else, even the next 6 on the list if you add them together, and we can use that 200 billion to invest in every school around the country - longer school day - better pay for teachers - year round schooling (with a month break in August and December).

What do you think?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3544068]fact is spending on the military does create jobs either within the military, off the military bases or from defense contractors- creating revenue, taxes, etc....whether or not the money is spent efficiently is another story...

as far as cutting back on the military and using the $$$ in fixing domestic issues- you are eventually heading towards an expansion of the entitlement programs you mention....what is the economic benefit of that???[/QUOTE]

The only way to really solve the social security problem is a combination of the three following things:

1. Increase the retirement age
    2. Decrease benefits
    3. Increase taxes

All three are very unpopular amongst the voters, which is why we haven't seen any urge by Washington to fix the problem. However, we wouldn't have to increase taxes very much if we could cut spending elsewhere, which is where military funding comes into play.

Of course right now I wouldn't recommend cutting military funding, because we're neck deep in a couple of wars, but that brings me back to my original point that if the United States wasn't so bent on being a superpower, we could afford to fix some issues at home.

And I never said anything about expanding entitlement programs. A common misconception in this country is that if we throw more money at a problem, we can fix it. Quite the contrary actually. In fact, we spend more money per capita on education and health care than most other OECD countries, yet our education and health outcomes are mediocre.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;3544060]Or at least until he gets some of the hardly ever moderating mods to pull their weight.

:D

;)[/QUOTE]

You just want me gone.

You keep pecking.

Woody.

Pecker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is also interesting to see who holds onto their $, and who digs in....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think part of the reason our military budget is so high is because we spend so much on R&D. The F-22 program for example has cost 65B and we are only making 187 of them. That's almost 350B a plane. We are still in a weapons race with other nations. Every time we build a new weapons system they have to build a counter. We then build a counter to their counter and these things are very expensive. In theory all these things should end up saving US lives in the long run. We rely more on technology then manpower to win wars and put less US lives at risk because we have the technology to do so. The new Aircraft Carriers for example use a lot of automation. The crew sizes will be reduced and if a carrier was attacked, we would lose less American lives because of the reduced crew.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=l3ol3o;3544081]I think part of the reason our military budget is so high is because we spend so much on R&D. The F-22 program for example has cost 65B and we are only making 187 of them. That's almost 350B a plane. We are still in a weapons race with other nations. Every time we build a new weapons system they have to build a counter. We then build a counter to their counter and these things are very expensive. In theory all these things should end up saving US lives in the long run. We rely more on technology then manpower to win wars and put less US lives at risk because we have the technology to do so. The new Aircraft Carriers for example use a lot of automation. The crew sizes will be reduced and if a carrier was attacked, we would lose less American lives because of the reduced crew.[/QUOTE]

Things are expensive because of Washington, plain and simple.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=l3ol3o;3544081]I think part of the reason our military budget is so high is because we spend so much on R&D. The F-22 program for example has cost 65B and we are only making 187 of them.[/QUOTE]

We've already made 187.

That guy whose name we shall not speak decided it shouldn't be added to this fiscal years NDAA.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The age old question. why spend some much money on the military? See Bill Hicks human consciousness and the destruction of the economy which isnt even real in the first place.

Freedom isnt free or at least thats what were told.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3544090]We've already made 187.

That guy whose name we shall not speak decided it shouldn't be added to this fiscal years NDAA.[/QUOTE]

who is that the President?