Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weatherford has erratic heartbeat fixed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3544242]and he can run!

on a relative scale Weatherford is a middle of the road punter, except compared to our recent punters, middle of the road might as well equal "franchise punter" for us. Weatherford is so much better than Gowin, Reggie Hodges and Dan Stryzinski were for us. if he can gain a first down or two for us next year when the money is down, then he is worth his weight in gold as long as he can punt respectably, which he's shown he can do. he's also shown he can put the ball inside the 20, which none of our previous punters could do.[/QUOTE]

+1, and he's a nice guy to boot.

[SIZE="1"]Pun intended.[/SIZE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3543981][URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5047093[/URL]

[B]Weatherford has erratic heartbeat fixed[/B]
    Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Steve Weatherford is no longer worried about his heart. He hopes the New York Jets feel the same.

The veteran punter told The Associated Press on Thursday that he had a procedure last week to prevent irregular heartbeats, such as the one that caused him to miss an opening-round playoff victory at Cincinnati last season.

"I want my coaches to have full confidence in me and that was something that needed to be done," Weatherford said. "I don't want that to ever be an issue again. I want to grow old and be a dad for many years to come, and if you can fix it, why not?"

Weatherford had cardiac ablation, a minimally invasive procedure used to treat abnormal heart rhythms, last Thursday at Morristown Memorial Hospital, located a few miles from the team's facility.

The 4-hour procedure was performed by having special catheters inserted on either side of his groin through the femoral artery, and running them up to Weatherford's heart.

"They cauterized the overactive nodes in my heart," he said. "It went really well, the doctors did an awesome job and I'm ready to roll now."
    Weatherford, 27, needs to be on blood thinners for the next two months.

"The only reason for that is that they made some perforations in my heart to make sure I don't have a clot inside my heart," he said. "It's pretty much to make sure I don't die, you know? So, I have to give myself injections [blood thinners] in my abdomen twice a day and take pills."

Weatherford, entering his second season with the Jets after averaging 42 yards a punt, fully participated in voluntary workouts Thursday for the first time since the procedure. He said he was really sore and uncomfortable the two days after the surgery, but started stretching Monday and was able to do light weightlifting Wednesday.

"Today, I did 90 percent of the cardio section of the workout and did 100 percent of the weight workout," he said. "There's just a couple of things I still have to be a little bit mindful of like make sure I didn't do another set until I felt like I had my breath about me because I've been out for a week."

While Weatherford was warming up before the playoff game on Jan. 9, he punted a few balls and suddenly felt his heart racing. Weatherford, who had a previous procedure to control his heartbeat when he was a teenager, alerted Jets team doctors. He had an EKG and was also given beta blockers to slow his heart, but was told he couldn't play.

"To be honest with you, man, I can't believe that ever happened," he said, "but when it did, I thought there was a pretty good chance my career was over."

Weatherford went on medication for the next few weeks after passing medical exams and tinkered with his pregame routine. He was then able to play in the playoff victory at San Diego and in the AFC Championship Game at Indianapolis.

"I was blessed I could play again," Weatherford said. "It really would've broken my heart if I wouldn't have been able to play the rest of the season and I'm watching my team, who you fought with all year to get to where you're at."

He then opted to have the procedure this offseason to give himself and the team peace of mind.

"The risk of what happened to me in the Cincinnati game is not going to happen again," Weatherford said. "That helps for me, but I'm sure they can rest easier knowing that all of the sudden, I'm not going to be like, 'Oh, I can't punt. My heart's doing the same thing again.' "

Weatherford is now focused on getting into shape and competing with T.J. Conley, signed this offseason, for the punting job.

"It'll be good to have him around," Weatherford said. "I enjoy competition and I've competed every year I've been in the league, so it's nothing new to me."[/QUOTE]

I had this exact same ablation procedure done 3 years ago, after suffering from the same "fast" heartbeat issues.
    I havent missed a beat since then.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3544386]I had this exact same ablation procedure done 3 years ago, after suffering from the same "fast" heartbeat issues.
    [B]I havent missed a beat since then[/B].[/QUOTE]

Pun overload!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3544045][B]GOWINIST:[/B]

NFL Punter with a leg like Johnny Damon's arm.

Named in honor of Toby Gowin, the ultimate no height/no distance scrub.

[B][U][COLOR="Red"]WARNING SIGN[/COLOR][/U][/B]

Gowinist's tend to draw praise for their "Directional Punting", akin to suggesting a blind date has a "Good Personality"[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    micah knorr says hi everyone!

still don't understand why we straight up cut graham...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3544033]He is ranked 16th and has a 36.7 net avg., he is also subject to his coverage team.[/QUOTE]

He is ranked 16th overall based on what? From what I saw, 16th is the lowest he was in any stat position which was net avg. and that Isn't even based off of his leg, its based on his teams special teams unit. After reviewing their stats at NFL.com I would say he is on the lower end of all punters at maybe 21-22 if not worse.

IMO It wouldn't hurt to bring some competition into camp to give him a run for his money. :yes:

Edit: Added Source of Stats
    Last edited by KingofNY; 04-02-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3544662]He is ranked 16th overall based on what? From what I saw, 16th is the lowest he was in any stat position which was net avg. and that isn't even based off of his leg, its based on his teams special teams unit. From the rankings I have seen, I would say he is on the lower end of all punters at maybe 21-22 if not worse.

IMO It wouldn't hurt to bring some competition into camp to give him a run for his money. :yes:[/QUOTE]

TJ Conley is under contract. All of our punting issues are over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Steve, hopefully everything works out for him health wise.

As for the punting position, he isnt bad and the couple fakes he ran for 1st downs were big for us, puts it into the opposing teams head that he can be a threat.

Basiclly average punter at best, but with the guys we've had here I guess I'll take it till we can upgrade the position.

I believe he has a good chance to be punting for us next year, and he can thank Jay Feely for savings his job with that great performance he had in the Wild Card game.

We lose that game because Steve couldn't play and its the Doug Brien situation all over again, 1 bad game in the playoffs for a replaceable position like that and your gone, regardless if its a health reason or not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3544665]TJ Conley is under contract. All of our punting issues are over.[/QUOTE]

I believe he was under contract with us last season as well, was he not? Have you ever seen this guy kick? I heard he had a lead foot his senior season at Idaho and that he also used to be a backup QB but, I think if this guy was any good he would of started for us last season when he lost the position to Weatherford.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3544695]I believe he was under contract with us last season as well, was he not? Have you ever seen this guy kick? I heard he had a lead foot his senior season at Idaho and that he also used to be a backup QB but, I think if this guy was any good he would of started for us last season when he lost the position to Weatherford.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I should have put one of these in :rolleyes:

I wouldn't count on him for anything else than to keep Weatherford/Folk company when they are hanging out with nothing to do while everyone else is running.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So finally there's a procedure to get the pu ssy out of you!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Illinois Jets Fan;3544479]Pun overload![/QUOTE]

Sorry...:O