Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weatherford has erratic heartbeat fixed

Veteran

Jay Feely's heroics no longer needed

Jets punter has procedure to fix erratic heartbeat
    By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer
    42 minutes ago

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)—New York Jets punter Steve Weatherford(notes) has undergone a procedure to prevent irregular heartbeats. He missed an opening-round playoff victory at Cincinnati last season because of a rapid heartbeat.

Weatherford tells The Associated Press he had the minimally invasive procedure a week ago at Morristown Memorial Hospital, a few miles from where the team trains.

Weatherford is on blood thinners and says he feels great. He took part in voluntary team workouts Thursday for the first time since the procedure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by jayrad01; 04-01-2010 at 12:47 PM.

All League
    Weatherford sucks...PERIOD. Jay Feely is a better punter than him and he proved that when he took over that game last year. I would like us to upgrade this position this off-season so we don't have to hold my breathe everytime he tries to punt the ball. SHANK.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;3543817]Weatherford sucks...PERIOD. Jay Feely is a better punter than him and he proved that when he took over that game last year. I would like us to upgrade this position this off-season so we don't have to hold my breathe everytime he tries to punt the ball. SHANK.[/QUOTE]

+1 Why do we have such a problem finding a guy who can kick the ball 45 yds consistantly?

[QUOTE=KingofNY;3543817]Weatherford sucks...PERIOD. Jay Feely is a better punter than him and he proved that when he took over that game last year. I would like us to upgrade this position this off-season so we don't have to hold my breathe everytime he tries to punt the ball. SHANK.[/QUOTE]

Weatherford also happens to be a great sprinter, which is a pretty good weapon to have in a punter, as we saw a few times last season. compared to some of the other bums we've had punt, at least Weatherford's threat to run makes him worthwhile to keep around. if nothing else it has to keep the other team honest so maybe they have to divert some attention to him running, instead of covering the punt ala Brian Moorman. also, Weatherford isnt THAT bad of a punter, his avgs were at least respectable last year.

he averages 42 yards a punt which is ok, net average of 36.7 which is decent, he put 25 inside the 20 with only 9 touchbacks. as a comparison, Shane Lechler who is one of the best put 30 inside the 20 with 12 touchbacks. punters are a dime a dozen and Weatherford is OK w/ a threat to run. i say he's a keeper

Veteran

I thought he was decent. He did well on the fakes that were huge in those games besides we've had worse

Jets Insider VIP
    Wetherford was probably the best punter in franchise history last season and one of the best in the league.

I'll take his directional punting, hang time and punts inside the 20 any day of the week over those "45 yard" average straight down the field (generally into the endzone) one dimensional guys that some of the posters here are apparently dreaming about. I don't enjoy watching their long line drive, no hang time punts being returned for more yardage than the distance kicked.

All League
    [QUOTE=ground and pound;3543834]Weatherford also happens to be a great sprinter, which is a pretty good weapon to have in a punter, as we saw a few times last season. compared to some of the other bums we've had punt, at least Weatherford's threat to run makes him worthwhile to keep around. if nothing else it has to keep the other team honest so maybe they have to divert some attention to him running, instead of covering the punt ala Brian Moorman. also, Weatherford isnt THAT bad of a punter, his avgs were at least respectable last year.

he averages 42 yards a punt which is ok, net average of 36.7 which is decent, he put 25 inside the 20 with only 9 touchbacks. as a comparison, Shane Lechler who is one of the best put 30 inside the 20 with 12 touchbacks. punters are a dime a dozen and Weatherford is OK w/ a threat to run. i say he's a keeper[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that his ability to run does help us out on occasion... but he only ran twice last year. That's 2 first downs. If my memory serves me correctly, one of those game he ran in was the raiders and we were blowing them out already anyways.

Weatherford ranked 22nd in the NFL in punts inside the 20, 22nd inside 10, 26th in longest punt, 23rd in yards, 22nd in Fair catches.

IMO he is way below average and my guess the only reason he is still hanging around is because Westhoff likes his versatility he brings to the unit.

All League

Weatherford has erratic heartbeat fixed

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5047093[/URL]

[B]Weatherford has erratic heartbeat fixed[/B]
    Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Steve Weatherford is no longer worried about his heart. He hopes the New York Jets feel the same.

The veteran punter told The Associated Press on Thursday that he had a procedure last week to prevent irregular heartbeats, such as the one that caused him to miss an opening-round playoff victory at Cincinnati last season.

"I want my coaches to have full confidence in me and that was something that needed to be done," Weatherford said. "I don't want that to ever be an issue again. I want to grow old and be a dad for many years to come, and if you can fix it, why not?"

Weatherford had cardiac ablation, a minimally invasive procedure used to treat abnormal heart rhythms, last Thursday at Morristown Memorial Hospital, located a few miles from the team's facility.

The 4-hour procedure was performed by having special catheters inserted on either side of his groin through the femoral artery, and running them up to Weatherford's heart.

"They cauterized the overactive nodes in my heart," he said. "It went really well, the doctors did an awesome job and I'm ready to roll now."
    Weatherford, 27, needs to be on blood thinners for the next two months.

"The only reason for that is that they made some perforations in my heart to make sure I don't have a clot inside my heart," he said. "It's pretty much to make sure I don't die, you know? So, I have to give myself injections [blood thinners] in my abdomen twice a day and take pills."

Weatherford, entering his second season with the Jets after averaging 42 yards a punt, fully participated in voluntary workouts Thursday for the first time since the procedure. He said he was really sore and uncomfortable the two days after the surgery, but started stretching Monday and was able to do light weightlifting Wednesday.

"Today, I did 90 percent of the cardio section of the workout and did 100 percent of the weight workout," he said. "There's just a couple of things I still have to be a little bit mindful of like make sure I didn't do another set until I felt like I had my breath about me because I've been out for a week."

While Weatherford was warming up before the playoff game on Jan. 9, he punted a few balls and suddenly felt his heart racing. Weatherford, who had a previous procedure to control his heartbeat when he was a teenager, alerted Jets team doctors. He had an EKG and was also given beta blockers to slow his heart, but was told he couldn't play.

"To be honest with you, man, I can't believe that ever happened," he said, "but when it did, I thought there was a pretty good chance my career was over."

Weatherford went on medication for the next few weeks after passing medical exams and tinkered with his pregame routine. He was then able to play in the playoff victory at San Diego and in the AFC Championship Game at Indianapolis.

"I was blessed I could play again," Weatherford said. "It really would've broken my heart if I wouldn't have been able to play the rest of the season and I'm watching my team, who you fought with all year to get to where you're at."

He then opted to have the procedure this offseason to give himself and the team peace of mind.

"The risk of what happened to me in the Cincinnati game is not going to happen again," Weatherford said. "That helps for me, but I'm sure they can rest easier knowing that all of the sudden, I'm not going to be like, 'Oh, I can't punt. My heart's doing the same thing again.' "

Weatherford is now focused on getting into shape and competing with T.J. Conley, signed this offseason, for the punting job.

"It'll be good to have him around," Weatherford said. "I enjoy competition and I've competed every year I've been in the league, so it's nothing new to me."

[QUOTE=KingofNY;3543905]I agree with you that his ability to run does help us out on occasion... but he only ran twice last year. That's 2 first downs. If my memory serves me correctly, one of those game he ran in was the raiders and we were blowing them out already anyways.

Weatherford ranked 22nd in the NFL in punts inside the 20, 22nd inside 10, 26th in longest punt, 23rd in yards, 22nd in Fair catches.

IMO he is way below average and my guess the only reason he is still hanging around is because Westhoff likes his versatility he brings to the unit.[/QUOTE]

doesn't the opposing team have to devote some attention to whether or not he fakes, maybe taking away their ability to block for their returner as well as they can because their attention has to be somewhat diverted? anyway Weatherford didnt punt bad at all, and considering some of the stiffs we've had lately like Toby Gowin, Dan Stryzinski, Ben Graham and Reggie Hodges, i'll take a guy that can punt somewhat respectably and is a serious threat to run at a moment's notice. unless we can find like the next Shane Lechler or Mike Scifres, most punters in the league are interchangible, thats why we've had like 6 punters in the last 10 yrs, as do most other teams. it's hard to find a rock at that position. so i say keep the guy that punt a bit and also run.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=KingofNY;3543817][B]Weatherford sucks...PERIOD. [/B] Jay Feely is a better punter than him and he proved that when he took over that game last year. I would like us to upgrade this position this off-season so we don't have to hold my breathe everytime he tries to punt the ball. SHANK.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sg3;3543889][B]Wetherford was probably the best punter in franchise history last season and one of the best in the league.[/B]

I'll take his directional punting, hang time and punts inside the 20 any day of the week over those "45 yard" average straight down the field (generally into the endzone) one dimensional guys that some of the posters here are apparently dreaming about. I don't enjoy watching their long line drive, no hang time punts being returned for more yardage than the distance kicked.[/QUOTE]

Who do I believe? My head is spinning. Could it be that he's somewhere in between?

[QUOTE=crasherino;3544005]Who do I believe? My head is spinning. Could it be that he's [B]somewhere in between[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Does such a place exist?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

We need to upgrade, however, he was not the reason why we didn't make it to the SB. Feely would not be able to do that consistently.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=doggin94it;3544008]Does such a place exist?[/QUOTE]

I've only heard stories of it. Like Camelot, Atlantis and Honalee.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3544029][SIZE="4"]Steve Weatherford [B]<====[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Card Carrying Gowinist[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Gowinist - that's a blast from the past. There should be a JI glossery with the definitions along with the approximate time frame when they were coined.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He is ranked 16th and has a 36.7 net avg., he is also subject to his coverage team.

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3544045]Gowinist's tend to draw praise for their "Directional Punting", akin to suggesting a blind date has a "Good Personality"[/QUOTE]

HA!

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3544045][B]GOWINIST:[/B]

Gowinist's tend to draw praise for their "Directional Punting", akin to suggesting a blind date has a "Good Personality"[/QUOTE]

have you now or ever been a member of the GOWINIST party??

All League
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3544045][B]GOWINIST:[/B]

NFL Punter with a leg like Johnny Damon's arm.

Named in honor of Toby Gowin, the ultimate no height/no distance scrub.

[B][U][COLOR=Red]WARNING SIGN[/COLOR][/U][/B]

Gowinist's tend to draw praise for their "Directional Punting", akin to suggesting a blind date has a "Good Personality"[/QUOTE]
    you couldn't be more wrong. weatherford is no pro bowler or anything, but he's years ahead of being a toby gowin type. you aren't being objective at all.

So Weatherford is fixed now and got a Bionic Kicking leg installed? :D

[QUOTE=Zombo;3544144]you couldn't be more wrong. weatherford is no pro bowler or anything, but he's years ahead of being a toby gowin type. you aren't being objective at all.[/QUOTE]

and he can run!

on a relative scale Weatherford is a middle of the road punter, except compared to our recent punters, middle of the road might as well equal "franchise punter" for us. Weatherford is so much better than Gowin, Reggie Hodges and Dan Stryzinski were for us. if he can gain a first down or two for us next year when the money is down, then he is worth his weight in gold as long as he can punt respectably, which he's shown he can do. he's also shown he can put the ball inside the 20, which none of our previous punters could do.