Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Dunlap....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Carlos Dunlap....

Most mocks I see have him dropping to us and further down. Isn't this guy just too good to pass up?

I would stay away from him, Gholston like.

^ agreed. Immense physical talent but he scares me as a prospect. Just seems like he can turn out to be a bust very easily

The Stigma is wearing off of him. He'd be a good pick.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-01-2010 at 11:00 PM.

The questions are real. But the question to the question is: is this guy Quentin Moses?

I don't think he is. Draft picks are coachable. And it depends on the situation they are drafted into.

Make no mistake. You aren't drafting a Mr. Football rah-rah guy like Tim Tebow or Mark Sanchez with Dunlap.

At the same time, this is a player that has top 5 metrics, as well as the production. His film isnt supposed to be spectacular, but where the Jets pick is ALREADY a steep drop for a player with his profile, considering his measurables.

IMO, a coach like Ryan could squeeze the cream out of a player like Dunlap.

I am not sure if 34 scheme fits him the best, but I hope we at least have him on our board at 29.

I don't think that the Jets would draft a player with questionable passion for the game.

Rex has stated during the season that he would take a less talented overachiever over a talented underachiever. Don't see the Jets considering a player like Dunlap.

He has all the tools but there is risk with this guy. I read something from a former scout that said he talked to many teams that do not have this guy at a first round grade at this point. That was before his pro day though so who knows especially with the misinformation teams float out there this time of year.

All in all I think Dunlap is better in a 4-3. People see his height and assume he can play 3-4 end but I don't see that as his game. A few others on this board know him a lot better though and seem higher on him than myself. You cannot deny his talent but I personally would rather go for the football player over the athlete.

carlos dunlap would be the luckiest man alive if Rex Ryan drafted him.

i don't think it'll happen because a better fit for 34 DE can be found later and in the type of player that Mike Devito is.

Its funny to say it but Dunlap is no Devito. I am looking at this player if I am 43 pressure defense, or perhaps if I am Bill Bellichick and Dunlap drops into the second where NE has 3 picks.

The discussion about Dunlap sounds very much like the discussion of Calais Campbell a couple of years back. Campbell played sparingly his 1st year but I think he had a pretty good year in year 2 with the Cardinals. (7 sacks)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I would stay away from him, Gholston like.
    But there's a difference between picking #29 and #6. You can't miss with a #6 pick (or at least you REALLY hope you don't). Missing with a #29 pick isn't nearly as bad. If you want to take a high risk/high reward player, #29 isn't a bad place to do it.

Sure our defense is still very good without Gholston, but we could be so much better if he was even 60% of what he could/should have been.

Assuming the team thinks he fits our defense, I would definitely take a shot at him.

i think he's worth the pick at 29 in most years. however, if the jets pass on guys who have no issues with motivation or off the field behavior and whiff on dunlap they set the team back. this year's draft class is unusual b/c the guy taken at 29 isn't that much worse, if at all, than the guy take at 15-20 b/c of the depth. so the jets picked a good year to lose in the afc championship game, b/c picking 29 doesn't have to be taking a chance on a guy.

forget dunlap

the jets can use their 2nd round pick and take alex carrington.d.e.the only mark against him is that he comes from a small school.other then that he has shown that he is a winner.

ill probably change it but carlos dunlap is my pick for the Jets right now in the DD mock

is he too good to pass up? Maybe. Griffen also might be too good to pass up.

people say they dont want another gholston... the Jets are picking at 29, they aren't gonna get a "perfect" prospect.

but a guy who runs a 4.6 at 280 is always welcome

especially look at the guys the Jets bring on like Cro and Edwards have legal problems. the Jets are becoming a place for bad boys to rehab their careers
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    the jets can use their 2nd round pick and take alex carrington.d.e.the only mark against him is that he comes from a small school.other then that he has shown that he is a winner.
    i like alex carrington... alot

but to put this statement into perspective

carrington has 10 career sacks in the big south

dunlap has about 20 career sacks in the SEC

carrington would be just fine if the Jets needed a run stuffing 5 tech

with devito, pouha, ellis and jenks (and others, pitoitua) they dont need another run stuffer

if they draft a DL, they need a pass rusher

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    ill probably change it but carlos dunlap is my pick for the Jets right now in the DD mock

is he too good to pass up? Maybe. Griffen also might be too good to pass up.

people say they dont want another gholston... the Jets are picking at 29, they aren't gonna get a "perfect" prospect.

but a guy who runs a 4.6 at 280 is always welcome

especially look at the guys the Jets bring on like Cro and Edwards have legal problems. the Jets are becoming a place for bad boys to rehab their careers
    He's going in the mid 2nd round. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post
    He's going in the mid 2nd round. No thanks.
    dunlap could go 8 to al davis or 12 to tuna and it wouldn't be a reach at all

that's the kind of measurables he has

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I don't think that the Jets would draft a player with questionable passion for the game.

Rex has stated during the season that he would take a less talented overachiever over a talented underachiever. Don't see the Jets considering a player like Dunlap.

exactly k.rhodes

Tyson Jackson 3rd overall KC last year.

Jackson: 6'4" - 296 - 4.95 40, 28.5" vertical

Dunlap: 6'5" - 290 - 4.71 40, 31.5" vertical

Now Jackson probably had more production but he didn't have huge eye opening stats.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    dunlap could go 8 to al davis or 12 to tuna and it wouldn't be a reach at all

that's the kind of measurables he has
    i hope he goes in the top 10 for the jets sake. But he does not belong there.