3 1.73%
  • George Sauer

6 3.47%
  • Keyshawn Johnson

9 5.20%
  • Other (specify)

2 1.16%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Best Receiver In Jets History?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

2nd Best Receiver In Jets History?

Gotta have Don Maynard at the top, so who's #2? Poll coming...

All Pro
    Toon

[QUOTE=2009fatman;3544462]Toon[/QUOTE]

AINEC

Toon was better than Maynard

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3544446]Gotta have Don Maynard at the top, so who's #2? Poll coming...[/QUOTE]

How come we "gotta have Don Maynard at the top"? I know statistically he may be up there, but I've watched film of him in his prime ... there's no way he measures up to Walker, Toon, or Keyshawn athletically. I remember thinking, "man, that guy would get broken in half if he played today."

Practice Squad
    as good as al toon is, gotta go wit chrebet cuz hes more my time and i just admire the guy

[QUOTE=FreemanMC;3544467]How come we "gotta have Don Maynard at the top"? I know statistically he may be up there, but I've watched film of him in his prime ... there's no way he measures up to Walker, Toon, or Keyshawn athletically. I remember thinking, "man, that guy would get broken in half if he played today."[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding?The game was twice as rough back then compared to today. There was no "5 yard rule" back then .receivers could be hit all over the field until the ball was thrown. There was also no penalty against leading with your helmet and no such thing as a "defenseless receiver". Maynard would of had a field day playing with the rules of today.
    As far as second best receiver Toon by the slimist margin over Sauer.

rob moore was a great player as well -- should have never traded him

All League
    wesley walker..

Al Toon was Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice was.

Best talent - Al Toon no question
    My personal favorite - Wesley Walker he gets my vote.

Hall Of Fame
    I loved Toon, but his shortened career due to concussions put him at #3 in my book.

Wayne should be #2 hands down. Not based on raw talent, but based on production, inspiration, and heart.

Toon had the tools to be one of the best ever, however due to lack of talent around him, and injuries,, We will never know

Veteran
    George Sauer = Al Toon = Wesley Walker

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Al Toon.....but 85 was my man, he is a good guy.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Rich Miano;3544475]Are you kidding?The game was twice as rough back then compared to today. There was no "5 yard rule" back then .receivers could be hit all over the field until the ball was thrown. There was also no penalty against leading with your helmet and no such thing as a "defenseless receiver". Maynard would of had a field day playing with the rules of today.
    As far as second best receiver Toon by the slimist margin over Sauer.[/QUOTE]

+1 i never like the 'time card'...if gone with the wind was released today bla bla bla..it was also in the theaters for years....players can't help when they played and should be judged by their peers of their TIME. But you're right the game was extremely rough & tumble back then. Maynard would prob fair pretty well in today's game of offensive friendly skies.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;3544478]rob moore was a great player as well -- should have never traded him[/QUOTE]

wooow i remem him!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3544511]I loved Toon, but his shortened career due to concussions put him at #3 in my book.

Wayne should be #2 hands down. Not based on raw talent, but based on production, inspiration, and heart.

[B]Toon had the tools to be one of the best ever, however due to lack of talent around him, and injuries,,[/B] We will never know[/QUOTE]

Lack of Talent?? He had Walker on the other side and Mickey Shuler at TE?? And Freeman and Hector as the backs..

All League
    [QUOTE=LETSGOJETS;3544511]I loved Toon, but his shortened career due to concussions put him at #3 in my book.

Toon had the tools to be one of the best ever, however due to lack of talent around him, and injuries,, We will never know[/QUOTE]

Toon was a little before my time but I remember him vaguely on the field with his talent but mainly concussions, also as "The Guy" we drafted instead of Jerry Rice.

Wayne Chrebet gets my vote too as well. The guy was one tough S.O.B. and had the heart of a lion. Being undrafted, short and labeled a "slow white guy" just made it even better when he would make burn DBs on 3rd down to make the big catch and stepped up when it mattered most. A fan favorite and mines personally hands down MR 3rd DOWN!

He is second in Jets history with 580 Receptions and 5th in yards from scrimmage with 7,365. As for Undrafted Recievers he is 3rd All Time in NFL History for receptions behind only Rod Smith and Gary Clark.

Now many can argue Chrebet isnt the 2nd best WR in Jets history but there is one thing I think we can all agree on and that is Chrebet got the most out of his God given ability and gave it 120% every down.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 04-02-2010 at 09:11 AM.

All League
    Gotta go with Walker also. If Toon played more games than i would probably go with him

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Maynard is in the HOF and in his 15 year Career made 4 Pro bowls and 1 first team All Pro .. Sauer in his 6 year career made 4 Pro bowls and 2 first team All Pro.. He was the go to guy for Joe in the Bowl as Maynard was banged up from the Raider game.. Sauer had he not quit to be a flower child would have been with Maynard in the HOF.. Walker and Toon each had just 2 1,000+ seasons in their careers.. Sauer had 3 in a row playing 14 game seasons..
    Last edited by Savage69; 04-02-2010 at 09:56 AM.