Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Un-friggin-believeable!

Banned

Un-friggin-believeable!

So I was driving into work on the LIE this morning, and I witnessed the most ridiculous thing. A highway patrolman was getting back into the HOV lane from the shoulder as I passed him (I was in the left non-HOV lane).

The cop gets behind me, as if he wants me to move out of the way so he can pass. So I move into the middle lane to let him pass. Only he doesn't move ahead. So I start to think that he's going to pull me over, only there was no reason to do so. I was going with the flow of traffic, I wasn't swerving around or driving erratically in any way.

Eventually he starts moving ahead of me. As he passes I see the officer look back at me and my truck. He gets ahead of me, then cuts to the middle lane in front of me. Sits there for about 5-10 seconds, then cuts to the right lane and slows down. I continue on my way and pass him.

Then as soon as I pass him he cuts back into the middle lane right behind me again, and sits there for about a minute or so. Finally he gets back into the left lane and moves ahead of me, looking back again as he passes. He sits slightly ahead of me, then gives up and speeds up.

He gets behind another car and does the exact same thing he just did to me, only he eventually throws his lights on and pulls the guy over.

It was like he picked a car and hung around them until he found a reason -ANY reason - to ticket you. Is this how desperate Suffolk County has become for money? Harassing people until they find something to fine you for?

Sorry about the long post, BTW. This just annoyed me this morning.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 04-02-2010 at 08:45 AM.

All League
    They call that profiling, no?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Maybe he had to pull someone over with tinted windows last night at 2am, maybe he had to pick up somebody's head of the road 2 days ago, maybe he was running tags? idk...just sayin.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Big L;3544598]They call that profiling, no?[/QUOTE]

I'm not black (half-Sicilian, so I'm close ;) )

Banned
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3544604]Maybe he had to pull someone over with tinted windows last night at 2am, maybe he had to pick up somebody's head of the road 2 days ago, maybe he was running tags? idk...just sayin.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you're from Long Island, but the two counties here (Suffolk and Nassau) are practically bankrupt. They've been looking for any way to collect money. What I saw today was a new low.

I'm not blaming the officer. He's just doing what he's told.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3544593]So I was driving into work on the LIE this morning, and I witnessed the most ridiculous thing. A highway patrolman was getting back into the HOV lane from the shoulder as I passed him (I was in the left non-HOV lane).

The cop gets behind me, as if he wants me to move out of the way so he can pass. So I move into the middle lane to let him pass. Only he doesn't move ahead. So I start to think that he's going to pull me over, only there was no reason to do so. I was going with the flow of traffic, I wasn't swerving around or driving erratically in any way.

Eventually he starts moving ahead of me. As he passes I see the officer look back at me and my truck. He gets ahead of me, then cuts to the middle lane in front of me. Sits there for about 5-10 seconds, then cuts to the right lane and slows down. I continue on my way and pass him.

Then as soon as I pass him he cuts back into the middle lane right behind me again, and sits there for about a minute or so. Finally he gets back into the left lane and moves ahead of me, looking back again as he passes. He sits slightly ahead of me, then gives up and speeds up.

He gets behind another car and does the exact same thing he just did to me, only he eventually throws his lights on and pulls the guy over.

It was like he picked a car and hung around them until he found a reason -ANY reason - to ticket you. Is this how desperate Suffolk County has become for money? Harassing people until they find something to fine you for?

Sorry about the long post, BTW. This just annoyed me this morning.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure he wasn't sizing you up big boy? :eek:

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3544606]I'm not black ([B]half-Sicilian, so I'm close[/B] ;) )[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yeah, that is strange. I think you're right: he was either looking for something or waiting for you to screw up.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

similar to the harrassment I recieved a couple of weeks ago in JC...got my court date, I'm fighting the man.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3544607]I don't know if you're from Long Island, but the two counties here (Suffolk and Nassau) are practically bankrupt. They've been looking for any way to collect money. What I saw today was a new low.

I'm not blaming the officer. He's just doing what he's told.[/QUOTE]

I live were everyone just moved to. I wasn't trying to start anything, I think sometimes cops get a bad rap, that's all....I had that sort of thing done to me right here in white suburbia.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3544609]LOL. Yeah, that is strange. I think you're right: he was either looking for something or waiting for you to screw up.[/QUOTE]

That was the vibe I got.

BTW it's good to have you back here, Borgo.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3544617]That was the vibe I got.

BTW it's good to have you back here, Borgo.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Source. [I]Buona Pasqua[/I].

Jets Insider VIP
    You should've blown him a kiss and winked. They LOVE that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3544593]So I was driving into work on the LIE this morning, and I witnessed the most ridiculous thing. A highway patrolman was getting back into the HOV lane from the shoulder as I passed him (I was in the left non-HOV lane).

Sorry about the long post, BTW. This just annoyed me this morning.[/QUOTE]

Global warming?

:dunno:

:D

Based upon the facts [I]as related by you....[/I]

Sounds like he ran your plate and was waiting for it to come back and was sizing you up while he waited. I thought these guys all had those automatic plate readers by now. Not great tactics on his part if so.

Perhaps he had a hunch and was trying to "get you to blink" as some bad guys will panic if they think they are getting the squinky eye from "the man."

Either way, yeah, these HWY guys do have an unofficial quota and I guess this dude was trying to get his numbers out of the way at the beginning of the month.

Either way, he clearly doesnt realize or doesnt care the effect his wacky manuevers have on folks that havent done anything wrong and are just minding their own business, [I]as you claim you were[/I]....

It takes a unique personality to work in these units and they tend to bump heads even with other cops.

I admire your restraint in not using the myriad of descriptive words that must have been swirling through your head whilst typing that post.

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;3544635]It takes a unique personality to work in these units...[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8X09Nmftos&feature=related[/url]

As a young'n, even though I had friends who hated the cops because they liked to drink and smoke, I used to defend cops without blinking...always saying that they did what was right and necessary to keep our lives free of serious hassle.

I'm now 23, and with each passing day, I see cops doing something that causes me to blink, and it sucks because that's not how I want to view the general population of the few people who risk their lives to protect others.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 04-02-2010 at 10:24 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=32green;3544635]Based upon the facts [I]as related by you....[/I]

Sounds like he ran your plate and was waiting for it to come back and was sizing you up while he waited. I thought these guys all had those automatic plate readers by now. Not great tactics on his part if so.

Perhaps he had a hunch and was trying to "get you to blink" as some bad guys will panic if they think they are getting the squinky eye from "the man."

Either way, yeah, these HWY guys do have an unofficial quota and I guess this dude was trying to get his numbers out of the way at the beginning of the month.

[B]Either way, he clearly doesnt realize or doesnt care the effect his wacky manuevers have on folks that havent done anything wrong and are just minding their own business, [I]as you claim you were[/I]....[/B]

It takes a unique personality to work in these units and they tend to bump heads even with other cops.

I admire your restraint in not using the myriad of descriptive words that must have been swirling through your head whilst typing that post.

:D[/QUOTE]

Well let's see:

- I was going with the flow of traffic (~60 MPH).
    - I did not make any illegal or unsafe lane changes.
    - My truck recently passed inspection.
    - My head and tail lights are in fine working order.
    - I was not talking or texting on my cell phone.
    - I do not have a criminal record.

So what else could I have done to make him think I was doing something (or about to do something) wrong?

The fact that he seemed to give up on me and did the exact same thing to someone else whom he eventually pulled over makes me think he was randomly picking people and waiting for them to f*ck up in some way so he could ticket them.

And like I said earlier, I don't necessarily blame the officer. The county is a mess financially, and they've recently been thinking up crazy ways to collect more money. It wouldn't shock me if this is something the county makes the police do so they can collect on fines.

In my neighborhood, the Town of Brookhaven literally painted over a speed limit sign to lower the limit from 30 mph to 20 mph, just so they could ticket people who assume the speed limit is still 30. I have seen cops hiding in spots along side streets, waiting to catch someone who hasn't noticed the change on the sign. [B]They set up a f*cking speed trap in a residential neighborhood. THAT is ridiculous.[/B]

Banned
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3544690]As a young'n, even though I had friends who hated the cops because they liked to drink and smoke, I used to defend cops without blinking...always saying that they did what was right and necessary to keep our lives free of serious hassle.

I'm now 23, and with each passing day, I see cops doing something that causes me to blink, and it sucks because that's not how I want to view the general population of the few people who risk their lives to protect others.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I've known several police officers in my life (I'm related to one) and they're all good people.

But I've seen some do questionable things as well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3544710]
    So what else could I have done to make him think I was doing something (or about to do something) wrong?

And like I said earlier, I don't necessarily blame the officer. [/QUOTE]

If he was actually doing what you claim, and I do believe you, [I][B]I do blame the officer. [/B][/I]There are enough knuckleheads out there that he shouldnt have to "create" an event...we all see the types of drivers out there and I'm sure we all have the "if I was a cop" thought when we see them tailgating, speeding, etc.

What he did, absent any other explanation, was basically harassment and downright dangerous....if you were a bad guy, maybe had a gun, maybe just robbed a bank, not only did he make his presence known, but then he pulls up next to you, giving you a clear shot if you were desperate and so inclined...I totally understand your anger.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3544719]Same here. I've known several police officers in my life (I'm related to one) and they're all good people.

But I've seen some do questionable things as well.[/QUOTE]

There's a lot of cops, and a lot of knucklehead cops. Its not easy NOT to lump them all together and generalize.

Everyone's got a story, even other cops.:yes:

No comment, I already have a bad reputation as a cop hater around here.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;3544719]Same here. I've known several police officers in my life (I'm related to one) and they're all good people.

But I've seen some do questionable things as well.[/QUOTE]

Some people do not know how to act and that gets magnified when they hold a job with power.

32 explaination put it the best about Highway P/O's.