Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Football Team in History?

The Greatest Football Team in History?

The last "true" Brazil side? And perhaps the greatest? The artistry in these goals is incredible - definitely the best team in history never to have won a trophy.

Post this because the Cup isn't that far away, and should get your mouth watering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxvYy5-ekI

Veteran
    The top 3 that I watched personally would have to be

Barcelona 2009

Milan Early 90s

France 98

Honorable mention: Holland 88 and 2000

I've never been a big fan of the South American teams...

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    The top 3 that I watched personally would have to be

Barcelona 2009

Milan Early 90s

France 98

Honorable mention: Holland 88 and 2000

I've never been a big fan of the South American teams...
    The current Barca side, or indeed last year's version, are indeed awesome. Milan of that era were great, but to me they were machine-like in the way they ground opponents into the ground. Remember watching that European Cup final (as it was called then) against a great Barca side that they won something like 4 zip. Just no contest - but it was like watching a tank roll over a a flower garden.

Van Basten and co. also were a great side - great shame what happened to his career in the end.

As much as it pains me to say it the Man Utd squad of 98/99 was fantastic. Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Keane all in their prime, one of the best keepers of all time in Schmeichel. A frontline of Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, Solskjaer with a solid defence including Japp Stam. There bench was pretty good aswell with the like of Butt and Jordi Cruyff more then capable.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Royals & Jets View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it the Man Utd squad of 98/99 was fantastic. Becks, Giggs, Scholes, Keane all in their prime, one of the best keepers of all time in Schmeichel. A frontline of Yorke, Cole, Sheringham, Solskjaer with a solid defence including Japp Stam. There bench was pretty good aswell with the like of Butt and Jordi Cruyff more then capable.
    Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it but who are you a fan of Royal?

I suspect it's not Kansas City

Sorry if this was discussed and I missed it but who are you a fan of Royal?

I suspect it's not Kansas City

No it's not. I'm not sure how many of you will no about them (Black Death might )

The super hoops who currently sit 11th in the coca cola championship and did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDbk6DH7YY

The Mighty READING FC

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Royals & Jets View Post
    No it's not. I'm not sure how many of you will no about them (Black Death might )

The super hoops who currently sit 11th in the coca cola championship and did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFDbk6DH7YY

The Mighty READING FC
    Any self respecting CM-FM player knows Reading of course I didn't know they were called the Royals though!

Yeah they have been known as the Royals since the 70's, before that they were known as the much more imaginative and unique 'biscuitmen'.

Yeah - I remember that game - unfortunately.

Still, prefer Reading to beat us than some other teams I could name.

Sad that's all I can say about this season.

BTW, how did Reading FC, or indeed Liverpool FC 2010 version, get mentioned in the Greatest Football Team in History? thread?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    The last "true" Brazil side? And perhaps the greatest? The artistry in these goals is incredible - definitely the best team in history never to have won a trophy.

Post this because the Cup isn't that far away, and should get your mouth watering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZxvYy5-ekI
    Wow, every one of those goals was amazing.

Off the top of my head, teams that I loved to watch:

- Cruyff's Barca
    - Pepe's Barca
    - Milan with Van Basten
    - MU with Cantona

Honorable mentions:
    - Marseille when they won the C1 (), had a beautiful team: Papin, Waddle, Pelé (another one)

As for national teams, besides Spain or Argentina (when they get their sh*t together) today, they rarely have attractive play. France 98 and 2000 were SOLID teams, but honestly play wasn't very sexy.

Veteran
    I can't believe I'm about to say this to a frenchie but Zizou made that team special.

Maradona - Messi - Zidane are the players that I've watched who can take even the highest level of talent up a few notches.

He was an artist. Henry up front, Petit and Vieira behind him, Lizerazu and thuram on the overlap, Blanc and Lebeuf at the back and the lunatic in goal it was a beutiful team.

Better than any brazil or spanish side that I've ever watched.

Jets Insider VIP
    I can't believe I'm about to say this to a frenchie but Zizou made that team special.

Maradona - Messi - Zidane are the players that I've watched who can take even the highest level of talent up a few notches.

He was an artist. Henry up front, Petit and Vieira behind him, Lizerazu and thuram on the overlap, Blanc and Lebeuf at the back and the lunatic in goal it was a beutiful team.

Better than any brazil or spanish side that I've ever watched.
    I knew I’d get **** for this. I’m trying to be objective. If I weren’t French, I wouldn’t raving about how exciting they were. They were just impossible to score on. The back 6 + Barthez were as good as it can get. Add Zidane, and you have a great team.

The 98 WC, in retrospect obviously because during the competition we were all going apesh*t, play was boring. Yes, boring. Qualifiers was a breeze, then:

1/8’s – Paraguay 0-1 with a golden goal by Blanc 113th minute
    ¼ - Italy 0-0 pass to semis on penalty kicks

That’s almost 120 minutes with 0 goals scored

½ - Croatia 2-1
    Final: Brazil 3-0 (OK that was exciting )

Personally I’d put the 2000 team in front of the 98 one. There was an aura of “no matter what happens, we’ll win in the end”. Plus we were a bit more offensive (guys like Henry and Trezeguet were older), and Zizou had an awesome tourney (his match against Portugal was probably one of his best, with his match against Brazil in 2006).
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 04-06-2010 at 07:37 AM.

All Pro
    Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Jets
    Not....quite....yet.

Another Urlacher moment in the soccer forum.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    The 98 WC, in retrospect obviously because during the competition we were all going apesh*t, play was boring.
    Tais toi! France was a great team

BTW I heard a funny anecdote about the night you won the WC a couple of months ago from an american who works in London.

They board a plane to go to South Africa over algeria some sort of medical emergency happens and they turn around and emergency land in Marseille take the poor bugger out. Then the pilots realise they don't have enough fuel to reach SA.

Then they wait 6 hours for a refueling vehicle as they can't reach anyone because of the final. Then when somebody comes the guy driving the fuel truck is drunk and has lit cigarrette while he is trying to fuel up the plane. Then in the morning they can2t get clearance to go to SA so they go back to london and start all over again.

Fun eh?

Veteran
    If I weren’t French, I wouldn’t raving about how exciting they were.
    Wait I just realised this...

ARE YOU CALLING ME FRENCH???

well pluck you tou...

Jets Insider VIP
    Tais toi! France was a great team

BTW I heard a funny anecdote about the night you won the WC a couple of months ago from an american who works in London.

They board a plane to go to South Africa over algeria some sort of medical emergency happens and they turn around and emergency land in Marseille take the poor bugger out. Then the pilots realise they don't have enough fuel to reach SA.

Then they wait 6 hours for a refueling vehicle as they can't reach anyone because of the final. Then when somebody comes the guy driving the fuel truck is drunk and has lit cigarrette while he is trying to fuel up the plane. Then in the morning they can2t get clearance to go to SA so they go back to london and start all over again.

Fun eh?
    Hehe.

I can't remember watching a game in worse conditions (cramped in a bar and only seeing 3/4's of the screen)...but great memories.

Jets Insider VIP
    I knew I’d get **** for this. I’m trying to be objective. If I weren’t French, I wouldn’t raving about how exciting they were. They were just impossible to score on. The back 6 + Barthez were as good as it can get. Add Zidane, and you have a great team.

The 98 WC, in retrospect obviously because during the competition we were all going apesh*t, play was boring. Yes, boring. Qualifiers was a breeze, then:

1/8’s – Paraguay 0-1 with a golden goal by Blanc 113th minute
    ¼ - Italy 0-0 pass to semis on penalty kicks

That’s almost 120 minutes with 0 goals scored

½ - Croatia 2-1
    Final: Brazil 3-0 (OK that was exciting )

Personally I’d put the 2000 team in front of the 98 one. There was an aura of “no matter what happens, we’ll win in the end”. Plus we were a bit more offensive (guys like Henry and Trezeguet were older), and Zizou had an awesome tourney (his match against Portugal was probably one of his best, with his match against Brazil in 2006).
    At his best..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrEo2pTBaOI

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Not....quite....yet.

Another Urlacher moment in the soccer forum.

Oh I thought it was about real football... not ***** football