Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Feely agrees to terms with Arizona Cardinals

Jay Feely agrees to terms with Arizona Cardinals

Unrestricted free agent kicker Jay Feely has agreed to terms on deal with the Arizona Cardinals, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on behalf of either side. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Feely, who spent the past two seasons with the Jets, visited with Arizona last month after Rex Ryan’s club signed free agent Nick Folk.

The 33-year-old Feely made of 30 of 36 field goals last season, but missed a pair of them in the AFC Championship game against the Colts.

With the mercurial Folk as the only kicker on the Jets roster, former Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers could be a viable option for Ryan’s team. Rackers made 16 of 17 field goals last season.

[URL]http://twitter.com/ManishMehta1[/URL]

So now we can sign an Unrestricted Free Agent?

If that's true who do we go after?

Sharper?

All League
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3544683]Unrestricted free agent kicker Jay Feely has agreed to terms on deal with the Arizona Cardinals, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on behalf of either side. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Feely, who spent the past two seasons with the Jets, visited with Arizona last month after Rex Ryan’s club signed free agent Nick Folk.

The 33-year-old Feely made of 30 of 36 field goals last season, but missed a pair of them in the AFC Championship game against the Colts.

With the mercurial Folk as the only kicker on the Jets roster, former Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers could be a viable option for Ryan’s team. Rackers made 16 of 17 field goals last season.

[URL]http://twitter.com/ManishMehta1[/URL][/QUOTE]

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu*K!!!

Did NOT wanna lose Feely, he had one of the best years for a kicker in Jets history last year (ranks 3rd all time in Jets scoring for a season, 30 for 36 on FGs) and regardless of the 2 misses in INDY he was CLUTCH for us in the playoffs, out kicking Graham and Kaeding who are two pro bowl kickers. Not to mention without the punting performance in CIN we lose that game.

The only upside to this I can see is whatever he signed for we can use it to sign an UFA, and it better be a good amount of money for us to not match the offer to try and keep Feely here. Unfortunatly will probably use the money though to sign another kicker, maybe Rackers, because IMO I dont see Nick Folk as the answer.

Maybe we draft a kicker in the late rounds? :eek:

All League
    First, I was a huge fan of Feely's and I am very disappointed the team allowed him to leave.

That said, yes we can sign an UFA but only at the same value that Feely got from AZ.

Now tell me what FA is out there that can be signed to a similar valued contract that is going to have the kind impact that is comparable to the difference between a great kicker and an erractic one.

I think we will regret this very early into next season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=PaPZ187;3544705]Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu*K!!!

Did NOT wanna lose Feely, he had one of the best years for a kicker in Jets history last year (ranks 3rd all time in Jets scoring for a season, 30 for 36 on FGs) and regardless of the 2 misses in INDY he was CLUTCH for us in the playoffs, out kicking Graham and Kaeding who are two pro bowl kickers. Not to mention without the punting performance in CIN we lose that game.

The only upside to this I can see is whatever he signed for we can use it to sign an UFA, and it better be a good amount of money for us to not match the offer to try and keep Feely here. Unfortunatly will probably use the money though to sign another kicker, maybe Rackers, because IMO I dont see Nick Folk as the answer.[/QUOTE]

30 for 36 is not all that special, in today's football. And considering his clutch misses and his weak kick offs, its not a terrible loss.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Maybe the kid can turn it around...he better.

All League
    This makes me feel uneasy.
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3544724]30 for 36 is not all that special, in today's football. And considering his clutch misses and his weak kick offs, its not a terrible loss.[/QUOTE]My only issue is that Folk is much worse at kickoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Kickers are a dime a dozen.... Two missed FG's in the AFC Champ put Feely in the dime a dozen group... Sign Sharper!!!!

All League
    This sucks! Feely was a good kicker for us.

I highly doubt that we will even pursue Sharper because he most likely won't take a starting kickers paycheck after leading the league in interceptions last year. IMO he is using teams like us to determine his value so he can get a good idea how much the Saints need to pay him this year.

I also hope the Jets FO doesn't think Folk is our answer at K this year. Bring on Rackers I guess??? :huh:

Veteran
    Goodbye Jay, Arizona is a great state to launch a political career !

Veteran
    Do we still get a chance to match or offer more than AZ? Just wondering why if he agreed there's no news coming out of either camp.

All League
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;3544744]Do we still get a chance to match or offer more than AZ? Just wondering why if he agreed there's no news coming out of either camp.[/QUOTE]Nah. He was unrestricted.

All League
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3544724]30 for 36 is not all that special, in today's football. And considering his clutch misses and his weak kick offs, its not a terrible loss.[/QUOTE]

This may be true, but he was better than anything we have or have had in a long time.

Worst part is we can't just sign anyone due to restrictions, so more than likely we will be downgrading a very important position on a team that is suppost to be SERIOUS CONTENDERS this upcoming year.

I hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the a** but history tells us otherwise unfortunatly, I guess we'll see......
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 04-02-2010 at 10:58 AM.

All League
    This could be a huge loss if the front office does not make the right move. Remember the Jets drafted a kicker in the 2nd round because of a bad kicker. Feely was not great, but he was super solid. Not too many guys out there who will be as good

All League
    [QUOTE=Flagman5A;3544736]Kickers are a dime a dozen.... Two missed FG's in the AFC Champ put Feely in the dime a dozen group... Sign Sharper!!!![/QUOTE]

Well you can bet Sharper won't be signing a contract equivalent to a "dime a dozen" kicker.

The whole reason he hasn't resigned with New Orleans yet is because of money, so I wouldn't hold my breathe for him to sign with us for less.

Wow.. For someone that kicked so well in NY and under pressure of last year (plus punting), I'm shocked he was not retained..

[QUOTE=PaPZ187;3544760]Well you can bet [B]Sharper won't be signing a contract equivalent to a "dime a dozen" kicker[/B].

The whole reason he hasn't resigned with New Orleans yet is because of money, so I wouldn't hold my breathe for him to sign with us for less.[/QUOTE]

Great post! People can't have their cake and eat it too.

[QUOTE=mcsully;3544768]Wow.. For someone that kicked so well in NY and under pressure of last year (plus punting), I'm shocked he was not retained..[/QUOTE]

he was below average on kickoffs.. like the poster pointed out above 30-36 is good now great and he missed 2 HUGE kicks in the AFCCG!! obviously didn't handle the pressure that well