Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how about Ken Hamlin?

So how about Ken Hamlin?

[url]http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/4957/Ken-Hamlin-indicates-his-run-with-Cowboys-is-over/Default.aspx[/url]

Provided it happens. I think he may be worth the risk should we not be able to land Sharper.
    Last edited by aagarcia; 04-02-2010 at 12:26 PM.

All League
    Personally I would like for us to pick up Hamlin if he is offically released.

I have not followed him or the Cowboys at all recently but from what I remember he can really hit and is a former Pro-Bowler. Would be a good pick up to throw in the mix with Smith and Pool.

Had 5 picks and over 100 tackles a couple years ago, not sure why he is getting released, injury issues maybe???

Jets Insider VIP
    seahawks ditched him, now the cowboys are ditching him. Id rather stick with Smith/pool for now.

He signed a big contract then just basically cruised. If we can get him for low money I think Rex can work him out.

[QUOTE=aagarcia;3544956]He signed a big contract then just basically cruised. If we can get him for low money I think Rex can work him out.[/QUOTE]

The, "Rex will fix him" needs to stop!

Is there anyone Rex can't fix? Every player mentioned someone here always writes, "Jets should pick him or sign him, Rex will fix him"...

Yet Gholston is still a ghost and Rhodes was shipped out.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3544979]The, "Rex will fix him" needs to stop!

Is there anyone Rex can't fix? Every player mentioned someone here always writes, "Jets should pick him or sign him, Rex will fix him"...

Yet Gholston is still a ghost and Rhodes was shipped out.[/QUOTE]

Gholston and Rhodes were never Pro Bowl players. Hamlin was. This is why I believe it. ;)

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3544936]seahawks ditched him, now the cowboys are ditching him. [B][U]Id rather stick with Smith/pool for now[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

Yea? Does anyone realize that our safeties are going to be targeted more than ever because we have two shutdown corners?

We lost the Jags game down the stretch mainly because of inadequate safety play on the big pass play to Lewis. This is going to happen a lot more often and now we we are definitely weaker/less athletic at the position. As much as I hated Rhodes, Brodney Dangerfield is not an upgrade and will unlikely stay healthy the entire season. No receiver is going to be scared running over the middle with either of those two as starters.

Safety is a huge, underrated concern that needs to be addressed and to be a true elite defense IMO you need that Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Darren Woodson, Ronnie Lott type in place.

good old offseason. sign a FA safety. people don't like it, so they decide that the Jets will go out and sign another FA safety, ignoring the one we just signed.

Brodney Pool wasn't brought in on a sign and release. he's making over a million dollars, most of it guaranteed.

[QUOTE=dassin;3544996]Yea? Does anyone realize that our safeties are going to be targeted more than ever because we have two shutdown corners?

We lost the Jags game down the stretch mainly because of inadequate safety play on the big pass play to Lewis. This is going to happen a lot more often and now we we are definitely weaker/less athletic at the position. As much as I hated Rhodes, Brodney Dangerfield is not an upgrade and will unlikely stay healthy the entire season. No receiver is going to be scared running over the middle with either of those two as starters.

Safety is a huge, underrated concern that needs to be addressed and to be a true elite defense IMO you need that Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Darren Woodson, Ronnie Lott type in place.[/QUOTE]

you're overrating safety. the fact that we have 2 very good conrers (Revis may be shutdown, Cro is certainly not) will make the importance of safety a bit less than you think.

[QUOTE=dassin;3544996]Yea? Does anyone realize that our safeties are going to be targeted more than ever because we have two shutdown corners?

Safety is a huge, underrated concern that needs to be addressed and to be a true elite defense IMO you [B]need [/B]that Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Darren Woodson, Ronnie Lott type in place.[/QUOTE]

Who was the safety for the 2002 Buccaneers? They were probably the best pass defense I've ever seen.

[QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3545021]you're overrating safety. the fact that we have 2 very good conrers (Revis may be shutdown, Cro is certainly not) will make the importance of safety a bit less than you think.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree with you more. Check what Bart Scott said on acquiring Cromartie:

On Antonio Cromartie…
    I think it’s going to be a great test for him early in the year because he’s going to realize how hot it is whenever you play across from a premier corner. I think DeAngelo Hall figured that out when he went out to Oakland and played next to Nnamdi (Asomugha). If he’s up for the task, it’ll fall on the safeties because once they figure out they can’t throw on the outside, then they’ll try to attack the middle. They’ll try to attack the nickels or they’ll try to attack the safeties, spread us out and try to find one-on-one coverage that way. Everybody has to be prepared. That’s kind of like the (Darrelle) Revis factor. Cromartie is a very talented guy that proved what he is. He can also give Revis a down off or two because you have him at that height and that length able to go against some of the taller guys in this league that can jump.

[QUOTE=detectivekimble;3545025]Who was the safety for the 2002 Buccaneers? They were probably the best pass defense I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

I believe one of the safeties for that '02 Tampa team was some little known guy that went by the name "John Lynch".

<sarcasm> He was a total scrub, as I recall. :eek: <end sarcasm>

I'm all in favor of addressing Safety, but Ken Hamlin is being let go for a reason, and it's definately football related. We can do better (or need to do better).

[QUOTE=Oldtime Jets fan;3545034]I believe one of the safeties for that '02 Tampa team was some little known guy that went by the name "John Lynch".

<sarcasm> He was a total scrub, as I recall. :eek: <end sarcasm>[/QUOTE]

Good call, but he wasn't a big play/dynamic player like the guys mentioned above (at least not at age 31). Yeah, I know he was a good tackler and a hard hitter but he didn't even have a FF that year.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 04-02-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    NO

safety is fine

Pool, Dig, Smith -- probably Lowery, plenty to work with.

Draft a second day guy or bring in a UDFA for depth...

No released rubbish, please

[QUOTE=detectivekimble;3545198]Good call, but he wasn't a big play/dynamic player like the guys mentioned above (at least not at age 31). Yeah, I know he was a good tackler and a hard hitter but he didn't even have a FF that year. So,[/QUOTE]

He's still a 9x Pro Bowler...in 2002 he had 3 INTs.
    Last edited by dassin; 04-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.

[QUOTE=dassin;3545206]He's still a 9x Pro Bowler...in 2002 he has 3 INTs.[/QUOTE]

You said Ed Reed/Polamalu/Lott "type." John Lynch was not an Ed Reed/Polamalu/Lott type.

And in 2009, Kerry Rhodes had 3 INTs. Not sure what that means . . .

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;3545025]Who was the safety for the 2002 Buccaneers? They were probably the best pass defense I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

The other one was Dexter Jackson (who was MVP of a Super Bowl). Between that and John Lynch I'm not sure you make a very good point.

[QUOTE=The Paranoid Jet;3545336]The other one was Dexter Jackson (who was MVP of a Super Bowl). Between that and John Lynch I'm not sure you make a very good point.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that either Dexter Jackson or John Lynch were Reed/Polamalu/Lott type safeties? Sorry, but they were a solid tandem, but not close to that level. And just because Dexter Jackson had an excellent game doesn't mean he was a good player. David Tyree had a good superbowl, too. I don't think that means he's a good receiver. The point is that neither Jackson nor Lynch were these dynamic players (and yes, John Lynch was overrated). Perhaps you could explain to me what John Lynch could do that Eric Smith potentially can't and what Dexter Jackson could do that Brodney Pool can't.

^^^ ehh... Your one of those guys that overrate our players. You just compared a hall of fame player to Eric Smith and Brodney Pool. You might as well make a Marcus Henry has Randy Moss skills thread. :rolleyes: