Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D'Brickashaw wants a new deal

All Pro

D'Brickashaw wants a new deal

[B][URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/dbrickashaw-wants-a-new-deal/"][SIZE=2]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/02/dbrickashaw-wants-a-new-deal/[/SIZE][/URL][/B]

[B] [/B]

[B]D'Brickashaw wants a new deal[/B]

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2010 1:33 PM ET
    New York Jets left tackle [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3620"]D'Brickashaw Ferguson[/URL] reportedly wants a new contract.

Rich Cimini of the [I]New York Daily[/I] [I]News[/I] reports that Ferguson recently changed agents and [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/04/what-the-folk-feely-signs-with.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nydnrss/blogs/jets+%28Blogs/The+Jet+Stream%29"]has his eye on a new deal[/URL].

Cimini doesn't offer any details on the change in agents, but the NFL Players' Association web site lists Brad Blank as Ferguson's agent. Don Yee was Ferguson's agent when he signed his current contract with the Jets, a [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFl&id=3620"]six-year, $37.5 million deal[/URL].

The Jets chose Ferguson with the fourth overall pick in the 2006 draft. Ferguson has started all 64 games in his four-year NFL career

He needs to play out his contract then talk about a new deal. Some of these agents are the problem.

[QUOTE=Smokewagon;3545058]He needs to play out his contract then talk about a new deal. Some of these agents are the problem.[/QUOTE]

Of course. This new agent now wants D'Brick to get a new contract so he can get his commission. Without a new deal this new agent of D'Brick is probably getting very little from D'Brick this year, right?

[QUOTE=Smokewagon;3545058]He needs to play out his contract then talk about a new deal. [/QUOTE]

hes going into the 5th year of a 6 year deal... this is right about the time teams re-up players.

sign this beast!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Jets got to take care of #24 and #74 before they even start talks with anyone else. Left tackle is a crucial position, and D'Brick does a fine job, but the other two have HOF potential.

And really, it looks like the Jets want to wait to see what happens with a new CBA before anyone gets a new contract.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Smokewagon;3545058]He needs to play out his contract then talk about a new deal. Some of these agents are the problem.[/QUOTE]

No kidding & I am calling it NOW!

If D'Brick shows up to training camp this summer with a Mohawk hairdo, he's toast as a NYJ the second his contract is up. TRUST me on this one, every player that shows up 2 camp with that hairdo is almost 99.99% guaranteed to be a goner. Just recently? Kerry Rhodes & Eric Barton.

It's like a suicide/attention whore cry only louder & more expensive for everyone in the long run.:yes:

let's just cut him and sign Flozell Adams.

lol

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't know if Brick should get an extension this year, but he definitely needs one in the near future.

This is one of the few players we absolutely can't let hit the open market.

I've said it before, people won't realize how valuable Brick is until we have some turnstile replace him and Sanchez is on the IR by Week 5. The guy is already one of the best, if not the best, pass protector in the business.

Next to QB, LT is the most valuable position on offense. When you have a great one, you keep him.

I think you can argue that re-signing Brick should be more of a priority than extending Mangold. Nick is the best in the business at center, but LT is a far more valuable position.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

This is one of those thread headlines that causes me sphincter spasms.

Disgruntled Jet+Jet front office=my sphincter spasms.

_
    Last edited by 32green; 04-02-2010 at 02:14 PM.

No thanks.

Extending Nick Mangold is higher priority at this point than extending D'Brickashaw Ferguson. By far.

You have this year, and 2011 left, big boy. And then, we can franchise you in 2012. Deal with it. $37.5 million bones? Even after the taxes + 10% to your agent, you should be set for life already.

it amazes me how much Jets fans love bragging about having a top OL, but when it comes to spending some of Woody's bankroll to keep them together, it's time to tighten the purse strings.

sign both Brick and Mangold as soon as possible. it's guys like Faneca and Woody that need replacing.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3545080]hes going into the 5th year of a 6 year deal... this is right about the time teams re-up players.

sign this beast![/QUOTE]

This.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3545108]No thanks.

Extending Nick Mangold is higher priority at this point than extending D'Brickashaw Ferguson. By far.

You have this year, and 2011 left, big boy. And then, we can franchise you in 2012. Deal with it. $37.5 million bones? Even after the taxes + 10% to your agent, you should be set for life already.[/QUOTE]

Signing them both should be top priorities.

Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Harris

These four guys need to be signed longterm, even if it means we can't sign a single FA for the next two years.

Just like Bum said, Faneca and Woody will need to be replaced in the near future. That's 2/5 of our OL right there. No need to create a gigantic, glaring hole at LT which is by far the most important position along the O-line.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3545085]Jets got to take care of #24 and #74 before they even start talks with anyone else. Left tackle is a crucial position, and D'Brick does a fine job, but the other two have HOF potential.

And really, it looks like the Jets want to wait to see what happens with a new CBA before anyone gets a new contract.[/QUOTE]

This. :yes:

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3545128]Signing them both should be top priorities.

Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Harris

These four guys need to be signed longterm, even if it means we can't sign a single FA for the next two years.

Just like Bum said, Faneca and Woody will need to be replaced in the near future. That's 2/5 of our OL right there. No need to create a gigantic, glaring hole at LT which is by far the most important position along the O-line.[/QUOTE]

I'm taking care of the stars, the greats, before I'm taking care of the "good" players. Mangold and Revis come first.

[QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3545119]it amazes me how much Jets fans love bragging about having a top OL, but when it comes to spending some of Woody's bankroll to keep them together, it's time to tighten the purse strings.

sign both Brick and Mangold as soon as possible. it's guys like Faneca and Woody that need replacing.[/QUOTE]

Can not give any new big contracts out until the new CBA is set.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3545132]I'm taking care of the stars, the greats, before I'm taking care of the "good" players. Mangold and Revis come first.[/QUOTE]

Brick was borderline dominant for most of last season. We already knew he was great in pass protection, but he made tremendous strides in the running game.

There's no way you let this guy go.

Former Top 5 pick who has developed into the franchise LT we all envisioned him being. You don't let him walk out the door, period.

We have our franchise LT and now we have our franchise QB. The two most valuable positions on offense are filled with damn good, young players. You don't screw with that.

[QUOTE=flgreen;3545135]Can not give any new big contracts out until the new CBA is set.[/QUOTE]

i am aware of the team's apparent approach to the possibility of a new CBA in 2011. that's why i qualified my statement with 'as soon as possible'.

[QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3545149]i am aware of the team's apparent approach to the possibility of a new CBA in 2011. that's why i qualified my statement with 'as soon as possible'.[/QUOTE]

OK

I agree with you then. Revis, Mangold, and DíBrick are must signs.

I just donít know why the players are even bringing this up now, they know the situation with the CBA. Why bring dissent in now when they know the FOís canít do anything.

This also could just be speculation by the author trying to stir some thing. When I hear DíBrick talking about a no show for camp Iíll start to get worried.

[QUOTE=flgreen;3545155]OK

I agree with you then. Revis, Mangold, and D’Brick are must signs.

I just don’t know why the players are even bringing this up now, they know the situation with the CBA. Why bring dissent in now when they know the FO’s can’t do anything.

[B]This also could just be speculation by the author trying to stir some thing. When I hear D’Brick talking about a no show for camp I’ll start to get worried.[/B][/QUOTE]

it's Mike Florio reporting a small blurb from a Cimini article. that's basically a chief football pot stirrer reporting the 'anonymous source' of the chief pot stirrer of the Jets beat writing corps. here is the tiny little blurb from the article:

[I]Maybe they're saving up their money to re-sign CB Darrelle Revis and C Nick Mangold, both of whom will command huge deals. LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson recently changed agents and is eyeing a new deal, sources said.[/I]

Rich Cimini and Florio by extension know how to create news on a slow news day for sure. the 'sources' were probably just making the assumption that Brick hiring a new agent means they will be starting initial negotiations with the team, which is commonplace.

the only real news there is that Brick fired his old agent.