Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chargers fire back at LT- PFT

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Chargers fire back at LT- PFT

Chargers not pleased with Tomlinson's comments
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 2, 2010 7:14 PM ET
    As LaDainian Tomlinson's skills decline, his excuses multiply.

His latest tone deaf complaints directed at the Chargers has not pleased his former teammates, according to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

No players would go on the record, but Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith did. He wanted to respectfully stay silent regarding Tomlinson's words, but these words aren't hard to interpret.

"I'm not concerned," Smith said. "I'm just excited about the upcoming year and looking forward. Having outstanding players throughout your team is vital to winning a championship, no doubt about that.

"But having the right team and trying to put that team together is the ultimate challenge and it's a yearly challenge. Because it's the team that will win a world championship -- not a bunch of individuals who happen to be extremely talented and focused on themselves first."

Boom. Roasted.

Look, we have no doubt Tomlinson is a great guy off the field. But his me-first act over the last couple of years is now a part of his legacy.

Tomlinson's comments were galling because the Chargers bent over backwards to be sensitive to his place in franchise history. He's a below average back. If he had a different name on his jersey, they would have benched him. Or cut him.

Tomlinson should be thinking about how he can improve, but instead he's blaming all his problems on the men that tried to help him.

This should end well in New York.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think what tomlinson said was a shot at sd but more in response to everyone saying he's done..I honestly found nothing wrong w his comments...that response would of been better suited for rhodes....and leonhards comments about rhodes better suited for tomlinson...does that make any sense??

He pointed out obviouss truths and the chargers gm response is a reflection of the the trash fans who support the team...birds of a feather flock together

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess Sproles is below avg as well because he did no better than LT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously the relationship did not go well at the end of LT's tenure. His chirping probably was expected but since he was/is sooooo classy they figured he would remain so. Guess not. I am not surprised at this at all. I hope it goes will for the Jets but I am not expecting the LT of old and I am not sure of the new LT. Old running backs seem not to see the light of the oncoming train more so than most/all of the other NFL skill players.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    soft pass first offensive line in SD...LT will do much better with our line

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    God I hope LT makes the chargers and their 90% clueless fans look like idiots when he returns to form behind the Jets O line.
    you watch......

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3545440]God I hope LT makes the chargers and their 90% clueless fans look like idiots when he returns to form behind the Jets O line.
    you watch......[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/jetsnrangers/ladainian-tomlinson-4.jpg[/IMG]

Great pic.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's always going to be difficult when a veteran star leaves a team because they don't think he's got it any more. The press in the new city---especially this one---will have a million questions, and LT can hardly say he agrees with the Chargers' view that he's done; so whatever other reason he gives will sound to some like excuses, particularly to those fans in the city that he left. The point is that the Jets don't think he's done---they think he can help them in some capacity. As LT said---we'll find out. I don't think he said anything all that critical of SD but I can still see why they'd rather he said nothing at all. But you can't do that in New York, even if you wanted to. Witness Randy Johnson.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm agreeing with LT as this story develops more and more. What SD mostly did was air it out until they got inside then 10 when it was Tomlinson time from there. You will never have a great season yards-wise if you are the RB on a team like this. Another interesting tidbit is that LT had his best years running behind Lorenzo Neal. His two worst were this past year behind Mike Tolbert. He now had T-Rich to pave the way, and he is probably better than Neal on a run-first team, so I definitely see a lot of production this coming year. Hope we can make SD eat their words at the Meadowlands come January on our way to SB 45 :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So where are the comments from his former teammates?

Or is this just a beat writer homering up the sour grapes now that LT is gone?

LT hasn't been shy in directing his angst towards the GM Smith, and the philosophy change of the team as a whole the last couple of years, this isn't the first time a player has gone public with their disdain of Smith. I don't think LT did anything to disrespect his former teammates, just another writer looking to create something out of nothing with a homer bias.

LT was nothing but class before the Chargers let him go, and maybe he was unhappy how it ended, maybe it was the Chargers that didn't handle Tomlinson's departure well?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the Chargers on this. LT is a declining talent that made a ****load of excuses in his recent comments. That team treated him like royalty. He'll put up better numbers in New York but he won't be the LT of old.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetlifer;3545427]soft pass first offensive line in SD...LT will do much better with our line[/QUOTE]

2,200 yards for LT
    44 Touchdowns for Shonn Greene.

Fresh kool aid right here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely love this! I'm sure LT will be fuming over hearing this. Bring it on! Just more motivation for LT to come back strong and shut the naysayers up!

I'll gladly take a pissed off HOF playing RB2 anyday. Brian Dawkins comes to mind how many thought he was done in Philly, but had another great year and was a difference maker for the Broncos.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You really have to understand that this writer,Kevin Acee, he is nothing but a tool. Most of the sports writers for the SD Trib are tools, in fact the Trib is just a tool shed. :D

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;3545418]I don't think what tomlinson said was a shot at sd but more in response to everyone saying he's done..I honestly found nothing wrong w his comments...that response would of been better suited for rhodes....and leonhards comments about rhodes better suited for tomlinson...does that make any sense??

He pointed out obviouss truths and the chargers gm response is a reflection of the the trash fans who support the team...birds of a feather flock together[/QUOTE]I believe the Jets will be very happy with LTs play this year, I just hope that If the Chargers meet the Jets in the Playoffs that LT will be in his regular spot on the sidelines due to injury during any playoff game against the Chargers. I as a Bolt fan will be conflicted watching that game... I hope that LT returns to his MVP form for the Jets during the regular season and in any games not against the Chargers in the playoffs, I remain an LT fan and do not want to have to root against him.:yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BoltWalt;3545614]I believe the Jets will be very happy with LTs play this year, I just hope that If the Chargers meet the Jets in the Playoffs that LT will be in his regular spot on the sidelines due to injury during any playoff game against the Chargers. I as a Bolt fan will be conflicted watching that game... I hope that LT returns to his MVP form for the Jets during the regular season and in any games not against the Chargers in the playoffs, I remain an LT fan and do not want to have to root against him.:yes:[/QUOTE]

I agree, those grapes were probably sour anyhow

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3545440]God I hope LT makes the chargers and their 90% clueless fans look like idiots when he returns to form behind the Jets O line.
    you watch......[/QUOTE]

+1
    The talking back and forth will do nothing at this point. The only way to shut them up and make them look like idiots is to perform on the field now!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did I miss something, or did he only say that the team seemed to take a pass first philosophy as opposed to a run first philosophy?

I dont know what all the fuss is about. If the numbers show that he got the ball less, or under different circumstances, that explains why he averaged less.

Hey lets be real... he is at the outer edge of the age of productivity for a running back. No doubts there. I personally have not checked the stats, but I for one am not sold on the fact that LT is done and that his numbers went down cause he has run out of gas. I bet the teams passing numbers increased.

Hey... we have played them twice in the playoffs while LT was on the team now right? Someone run the stats between the Chargers we played when Herm was the coach (the game where Eric Barton bashed the qb in the head and got the personal foul penalty to keep that drive alive) as opposed to the game this year. I bet LT touched the ball less this year then he did years ago.

Simple thing here is, as usual, numbers dont lie.

The GM though, should shut up. He is looking like an evil bastid. LT didnt knock the team at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Miracle In The Meadowlands;3545549]I absolutely love this! I'm sure LT will be fuming over hearing this. Bring it on! Just more motivation for LT to come back strong and shut the naysayers up!

I'll gladly take a pissed off HOF playing RB2 anyday. Brian Dawkins comes to mind how many thought he was done in Philly, but had another great year and was a difference maker for the Broncos.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Let the Chargers put a chip on LT's shoulder for us. Between that and all the naysayers, LT has something to prove.

I expect LT to have a big year. I don't believe that he is the LT of old BUT, behind our O-line and with something to prove, he is still going to be better than many RB's in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    tomlinson will not be the old lt, but he will not be the 2009 lt either. he has lost a step, but he can still be productive with less carries and as a receiver out of the backfield. i still think of him as i said in another thread. he will be like marcus allen was for the chiefs: no longer a 1000 yard rusher but a guy who can still be productive carrying the ball and an excellent receiving option out of the backfield.