Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i would like to sign a veteran back up QB

In case you forgot, Sanchez did go down, for a game and a half, in 2009. We won those games. Ainge is now a third-year veteran. Any QB we bring in now would have to learn Schotty's offense from scratch.

Do you want to bring in Jeff Garica? He couldn't beat out JaMarcus Russell in training camp last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3545930][B]Because I lived through 1999, 2003 and 2005. [/B] The last 3X we came off successful seasons where everyone was expecting us to do big things the following season and what happened? Good Ol' Vinny ruptures his tendon in week 1, Chad gets seriously injured during preseason and then Chad goes down again in '05. Granted, the '05 team was doomed anyway due to Bradway letting Mackenzie and Ferguson both go via free agency but there is a pattern with this team having awful luck with having starting QB's go down with injuries and no one decent available to step in.

I like Sanchez but he is not Mr Durability unlike Peyton Manning or pre-2008 Tom Brady. Kellen Clemens sucks he couldn't even make himself look good facing a horrific Bucs defense with an offense that couldn't stay on the field. Ainge is at best an unknown I've seen him play in preseason and wasn't all that impressed (Brett Ratliff 2.0) and why the love for O'Connel? Belly boy thought he was a waste of a roster spot.[/QUOTE]

By now you should realize that given all the cap space that is allocated to a decent starting QB it's hard to get a decent backup who will need to be paid. Only way it happens is if your starter is only slightly better or no better than your backups and is paid a level or 2 below others. As others said, who are the backups to Brady, Manning, etc?

Jets Insider VIP
    I find this obsession with finding an expensive washed up bum to throw money at quite funny. I imagine if we were to go back to Pattycake message boards in the 2001 season, we'd see the same nervous nelly posts screaming for their team to bring in a veteran backup for Bledsoe because it would be a tragedy to go into the season with only an unproven crummy sixth round pick as his backup
    Last edited by sg3; 04-04-2010 at 02:19 AM.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;3546301] As others said, who are the backups to Brady, Manning, etc?[/QUOTE]

The Pats have some guy Hoyer who we will se a lot of when Terrible Tom goes crying back to his mommy after we blitz his brains out and the Clots have our favorite, CURTIS PAINTER! :yes:

Call up Vinny T and see what he's doing.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3545937]I lived through them too... Now, what exactly do you want the Jets to do? sign a veteran backup? the Jets in 1999 did do just that...they signed a former starter in Rick Mirer. 2003, they had Vinny. 2005, Jay Fiedler was signed. You want guys like that? Tell me, So who exactly is out there for the Jets to sign?

IMO just go with Clemens & Ainge....[/QUOTE]

1. Rick Mirer was a known NFL bust and bum. Parcells had his head in his ass when he made the move. Mirer was never known to be even a competent NFL QB.

2. In 2003 Vinny was 40 years old and done. Good player for us years earlier but he came to us in '03 with a fork already stuck in him plus Bradway got let Washington buy Lavernues Coles and Randy Thomas away the previous off-season.

3. Kerry Collins will probably end up getting cut by the Titans if he doesn't take a huge pay cut to backup Vince Young. Other backups who are better than the garbage we have behind Mark right now will end up being cut by August. Give one of them a modest one year deal.

Collins >>>>> any of our backups

And it's not even close.

Banned
    [QUOTE=sg3;3546304]I find this obsession with finding an expensive washed up bum to throw money at quite funny. I imagine if we were to go back to Pattycake message boards in the 2001 season, we'd see the same nervous nelly posts screaming for their team to bring in a veteran backup for Bledsoe because it would be a tragedy to go into the season with only an unproven crummy sixth round pick as his backup[/QUOTE]

So you're saying we have a future top 5 all-time NFL Qb sitting on our bench behind Sanchez? Wow.