Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i would like to sign a veteran back up QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

i would like to sign a veteran back up QB

what do you guys think? this team is in win now mode and i do not want our season thrown away if sanchez ever goes down.... i think we need somebody who is capable of winning some games and im just not comfortable with what we have at backup qb

are there any options left that u guys can think of

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gijet;3545430]what do you guys think? this team is in win now mode and i do not want our season thrown away if sanchez ever goes down.... i think we need somebody who is capable of winning some games and im just not comfortable with what we have at backup qb

are there any options left that u guys can think of[/QUOTE]

options better than Clemens...how can that be ???? :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gijet;3545430]what do you guys think? this team is in win now mode and i do not want our season thrown away if sanchez ever goes down.... i think we need somebody who is capable of winning some games and im just not comfortable with what we have at backup qb

I definatly agree about getting a veteran to back up Sanchez and keep things afloat if he goes down for a game or two.

Problem is we have restrictions and not sure who is out there that we can sign right now. I know we have a million or two to play with after Feelys signing but I don't think that will be spent on a backup QB although it is possible, its not like its enough to sign Sharper or someone like that.

One other thing, we already got three backups on the roster. Even if we don't sign anyone else I would like to cut one of these guys (probably O'Connell) to use the roster spot for some valuable depth and special teams. Personally I just don't see the point in having 4 active QBs on a 53 man roster.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    not necessary

when we get rid of clemens, maybe yes if we can get one on a one year deal for less than a million total

otherwise, ainge and o'connell are fine

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the club corners aren't sold out anymore?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3545612]not necessary

when we get rid of clemens, maybe yes if we can get one on a one year deal for less than a million total

otherwise, ainge and o'connell are fine[/QUOTE]

Ainge and O'Connell are fine? That's crazy talk. This team went deep into the playoffs. A seasoned veteran presence at QB, who can also help in Sanchez's development, is important. If Sanchez goes down we need someone that can easily come in and not lose games. Not sure if our young guys are there considering their limited playing time. I am all for the Jets getting rid of Clemens and picking up someone with experience.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    me too

as long as it's a one year deal for less than a million bucks total.

No need to waste any more on a washed up insurance policy. Last time we tried that, we ended up with Jay Fiedler

not this time, thank you

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3545651]Ainge and O'Connell are fine? That's crazy talk. This team went deep into the playoffs. A seasoned veteran presence at QB, who can also help in Sanchez's development, is important. If Sanchez goes down we need someone that can easily come in and not lose games. Not sure if our young guys are there considering their limited playing time. I am all for the Jets getting rid of Clemens and picking up someone with experience.[/QUOTE]

+1 and DITTO

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone decent will get cut loose during camp. I'm not envisioning it being an issue til then. I'd definitely like to upgrade KC if possible.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ0815;3545675]Someone decent will get cut loose during camp. I'm not envisioning it being an issue til then. I'd definitely like to upgrade KC if possible.[/QUOTE]

+1

I'm not sold on Kelly Clunkers, our latest August warrior Ainge and the guy who got cut by Bellicheat. Got a bad feeling 2010 is going to be 1999 all over again unless we get someone decent to backup Sanchez.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    your bad feeling is based on what?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3545917]+1

I'm not sold on Kelly Clunkers, our latest August warrior Ainge and the guy who got cut by Bellicheat. Got a bad feeling 2010 is going to be 1999 all over again unless we get someone decent to backup Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

Why would you even think about a season-ending injury to our QB right now in April, five months before the 1st game of the season?

btw, who was Manning & Brady's backup?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;3545926]Why would you even think about a season-ending injury to our QB right now in April, five months before the 1st game of the season?

btw, who was Manning & Brady's backup?[/QUOTE]

Because I lived through 1999, 2003 and 2005. The last 3X we came off successful seasons where everyone was expecting us to do big things the following season and what happened? Good Ol' Vinny ruptures his tendon in week 1, Chad gets seriously injured during preseason and then Chad goes down again in '05. Granted, the '05 team was doomed anyway due to Bradway letting Mackenzie and Ferguson both go via free agency but there is a pattern with this team having awful luck with having starting QB's go down with injuries and no one decent available to step in.

I like Sanchez but he is not Mr Durability unlike Peyton Manning or pre-2008 Tom Brady. Kellen Clemens sucks he couldn't even make himself look good facing a horrific Bucs defense with an offense that couldn't stay on the field. Ainge is at best an unknown I've seen him play in preseason and wasn't all that impressed (Brett Ratliff 2.0) and why the love for O'Connel? Belly boy thought he was a waste of a roster spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3545930]Because I lived through 1999, 2003 and 2005. The last 3X we came off successful seasons where everyone was expecting us to do big things the following season and what happened? Good Ol' Vinny ruptures his tendon in week 1, Chad gets seriously injured during preseason and then Chad goes down again in '05. Granted, the '05 team was doomed anyway due to Bradway letting Mackenzie and Ferguson both go via free agency but there is a pattern with this team having awful luck with having starting QB's go down with injuries and no one decent available to step in.

I like Sanchez but he is not Mr Durability unlike Peyton Manning or pre-2008 Tom Brady. Kellen Clemens sucks he couldn't even make himself look good facing a horrific Bucs defense with an offense that couldn't stay on the field. Ainge is at best an unknown I've seen him play in preseason and wasn't all that impressed (Brett Ratliff 2.0) and why the love for O'Connel? Belly boy thought he was a waste of a roster spot.[/QUOTE]

I lived through them too... Now, what exactly do you want the Jets to do? sign a veteran backup? the Jets in 1999 did do just that...they signed a former starter in Rick Mirer. 2003, they had Vinny. 2005, Jay Fiedler was signed. You want guys like that? Tell me, So who exactly is out there for the Jets to sign?

IMO just go with Clemens & Ainge....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3545930]Because I lived through 1999, 2003 and 2005. The last 3X we came off successful seasons where everyone was expecting us to do big things the following season and what happened? Good Ol' Vinny ruptures his tendon in week 1, Chad gets seriously injured during preseason and then Chad goes down again in '05. Granted, the '05 team was doomed anyway due to Bradway letting Mackenzie and Ferguson both go via free agency but there is a pattern with this team having awful luck with having starting QB's go down with injuries and no one decent available to step in.

I like Sanchez but he is not Mr Durability unlike Peyton Manning or pre-2008 Tom Brady. Kellen Clemens sucks he couldn't even make himself look good facing a horrific Bucs defense with an offense that couldn't stay on the field. Ainge is at best an unknown I've seen him play in preseason and wasn't all that impressed (Brett Ratliff 2.0) and why the love for O'Connel? Belly boy thought he was a waste of a roster spot.[/QUOTE]

thanks, Joe.... give my regards to the rest of the Benignos

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we can stay in-house to upgrade. Don't count out Ainge as he can throw great, and I think he can be the answer. It'll just take a little development and voila, he's our #2

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFagjusPvMU&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFagjusPvMU&NR=1[/URL]
    Last edited by Jetsfan95; 04-03-2010 at 07:22 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree 100% im sure there will be somebody who becomes available or even somebody like charlie batch who can at least compete...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

NO...are backups are fine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=johnnysd;3546140]NO...are backups are fine.[/QUOTE]

+1000

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's funny/ridiculous how obsessed this board is with qb's who can't cut it as a starter.

look, if sanchez goes down for 2-3 games, whomever the backup is, their job will be to hand the ball off as often as possible, and throw some screens and slants. in any of those games, if we have to count on this backup to put the team on his back and win the game for us, we are most likely screwed. it doesn't matter if it's a crappy qb that has starter experience or if it's a guy that nobody knows how he'll do because he has no experience. either way, screwed.

and if you want to tell me neither ainge or oconnell can handle handing the ball off and throwing a screen or slant every once and a while, then they don't belong in the nfl whatsoever, let alone on this team.