Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We MUST win the division this season...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

We MUST win the division this season...

I hate to have to point out something so obvious, but it seems to have been lost on the Jets organization?

I'm not going to rain on what the team did in the playoffs after last season. Very nice job. But could we have made it a LOT easier on ourselves? Of course.

We PROBABLY would have beaten the Colts and gone on to win the SB if we had home field advantage in the AFC championship. I believe that.

Going 9-7 and BARELY making it into the playoffs is simply not good enough. The Jets in recent years, seem to have lost track of what is so important. I thought the Jets were a better team than the Patsies in 2008 as well, yet we finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs and the Patsies finshed 11-5. then this year it takes an act of divine intervention for us to make it in. Can you imagine? With how good our team is, we MAY never have gotten to see how good they were because we would have been sitting home?

We MUST be better during the regular season for a whole lot of very good reasons.

1) If we are TRULY better than the Patsies now, WHEN will we actually start to show it in the form of a TWO GAME sweep of them? When will we start to sweep below average teams like the Dolphins and Bills. And make no mistake about it, the Dolphins and Bills are two below average teams. A juggernaut team like the Jets beats them in their sleep. That should be like taking candy from a baby for us. Yet we still have not owned up to that moniker.

2) The Colts are not a very good team when you pull Peyton Manning out of his protective little dome. That's how the Patsies were able to have so much success against him (that and cheating:rolleyes:) in the earlier part of this decade. The Patsies always had homefield advantage when they met them in the playoffs. That meant Manning had to take his rhythm passing game predicated on finesse, precise route running, and timing on the road and play that offense without a hitch. That's a tall order even for a great QB such as Peyton Manning. In order for the Jets to beat the Colts (which you know so long as Peyton Manning is the Indy QB, we will ALWAYS meet up with Indy in the playoffs) they must pull a page from NE book of success. That says, "Win the most games in your conference, solidify homefield advantage throughout the playoffs and you are already more than half way toward beating the Colts.

3) To say nothing about how much easier it could have been. If we had won more games during the regular season we:

1) NEVER would have played the Bengals during Wild Card weekend. We would have been sitting home getting out best players back to 100%.

2) Then after our bye we would have watched a warm weather team in SD have to go into the Meadowlands and the swirling winds and beat the Jets on our own turf. We won the game any way, but think of how much EASIER it could have been.

3) Then we would have faced the Colts in our stadium, once again asking Peyton Manning to come into the Meadowlands and beat us with 40 yard bombs, very HIGH arcing passes, into the Meadowlands winds? Sorry, but that never would have happened. The weather would have AIDED us in forcing the Colts to play OUR game. A time consuming, smashmouth running game, w/ a lot of very short, quick play action passes that would have eaten up clock time.

So there you have it. This coming from one of the most pessimistic fans on this website.

I believe the Jets are one of the, if not, the BEST teams in our conference. And if we can just follow through with our FIRST order of business, we will prove our greatness in early 2011...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I don't agree with is your first statement. I think Rex Ryan very early in the offseason pointed out how important winning the division would be for next season.

Everything else is spot on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3545632]The only thing I don't agree with is your first statement. I think Rex Ryan very early in the offseason pointed out how important winning the division would be for next season.

Everything else is spot on.[/QUOTE]

But that's exactly the point I'm making. They DIDN'T win the division. If they had, we could be celebrating the jets first SB victory in 41 years right now...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3545634]But that's exactly the point I'm making. They DIDN'T win the division. If they had, we could be celebrating the jets first SB victory in 41 years right now...[/QUOTE]

*cough* rookie quarterback *cough*

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;3545635]*cough* rookie quarterback *cough*[/QUOTE]

HE didn't lose the games for us in the playoffs! :eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Maine. It's time the Jets win the division.

I am expecting the team to be more consistant without the mid season let down we had last year.

There is no reason why we shouldn't win the division this year.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    We must go for the division every year, however, that is not a prerequisite for winning the only game that matters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we truly want to be the kings of the AFC East we must take the division title away from the Patriots.

Not only would we then become the true kings of the AFC East but we would also further improve our chances of playing in Super Bowl XLV on February 6th.

You don't need to win your division to win the championship, see the 05 Steelers and 07 Giants for that, but so many past champions have had home field advantage, or at least have played one home game, before and since the Steelers and Giants. Having 1 of 3 or 1 of 2 playoff games at home is a distinct advantage that we need to capatalize in 2010. We finished 1 game behind New England last season. 1. This year it is time to make a 2 game jump on the Patriots. With both teams having tough schedules, Miami and Buffalo as well, I don't expect an AFC East team to have more than 11 wins, 12 if a team gets lucky. No team is running away with this divison. We will have to battle for it.

We better be ready.
    Last edited by 124; 04-03-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GandWFan;3545635]*cough* rookie quarterback *cough*[/QUOTE]

Blame it on Sanchez all you wish and you would be right. But if we want to become the new heavyweight in the AFC we must win the division and that means whatever it takes, we win the division. Sanchez must get his A$$ in gear and start AT LEAST not losing the game for us. Or the coaching staff must take the ball out of Sanchez' hands...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3545634]But that's exactly the point I'm making. They DIDN'T win the division. If they had, we could be celebrating the jets first SB victory in 41 years right now...[/QUOTE]

i fully agree with what you are saying except the if we had won the division we would of had home field advantage in the afc championship game...

unless we went undefeated we were still the away team in that game...

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell that to the Eagles.:)anything can happen...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;3545676]i fully agree with what you are saying except the if we had won the division we would of had home field advantage in the afc championship game...

unless we went undefeated we were still the away team in that game...[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it . . .

If we're talking about what we "MUST" do, then I guess you have to change win the DIVISION to win the CONFERENCE.

Division titles are nice, but they don't even guarantee you a bye the first week.

Personally, I'll take a 9-7 ride to the AFC championship over a 12-4 one-and-done. How we finish is WAY more important than how we start.

Having said that, I agree that the better you play during the year, the better you position yourself for success (I just think "MUST" is a strong word . . .)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3545643]HE didn't lose the games for us in the playoffs! :eek:[/QUOTE]

No, but starting a rookie QB sure cost us a chance to win the division.:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3545663]Blame it on Sanchez all you wish and you would be right. But if we want to become the new heavyweight in the AFC we must win the division and that means whatever it takes, we win the division. Sanchez must get his A$$ in gear and start AT LEAST not losing the game for us. Or the coaching staff must take the ball out of Sanchez' hands...[/QUOTE]

It's absolutely rediculous to believe a rookie and/or a 2nd year QB must win the division/conference otherwise he needs to be benched.

They're building a team, not feeding your wants.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    division is a must. the jets need to get the #1 seed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3545663]Blame it on Sanchez all you wish and you would be right. But if we want to become the new heavyweight in the AFC we must win the division and that means whatever it takes, we win the division. Sanchez must get his A$$ in gear and start AT LEAST not losing the game for us. Or the coaching staff must take the ball out of Sanchez' hands...[/QUOTE]

Sanchez is gonna have a strong year I feel. His rookie year, idk what most everyone was watching, it was excellent. Throw all the #s you want at me, I saw what I needed to see.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3545712]It's absolutely rediculous to believe a rookie and/or a 2nd year QB must win the division/conference otherwise he needs to be benched.

They're building a team, not feeding your wants.[/QUOTE]

It's absolutely ridiculous to believe a second year QB must win the division.

Oh, it is? I guess you don't have any expectations for the team then, ugh?

Second year QB's when their surrounded by the team the Jets have should EXPECT to win the division...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you regarding the division and we need to beat the Patriots out to get it.

I have been hearing a lot of "were better than NE" "the gap has widen in our favor" but really until we prove it by winning the division there still the better team unfortunatly. Losing games to Buffalo and twice to Miami is unacceptable if we want to take the next step. Great teams find ways to beat the bad ones even when the game hasn't gone there way like the Pats beating Buffalo the 1st game of this past year.

Do I think the Jets are ready for the challenge? Hell Yeah I do.

Do I think it will be easy? Ofcourse not, we would be kidding ourselves to think this.

In 2008 Brady went down in the 1st quarter of the 1st game for the season. On the same day Brett Favre made his debut for the Jets in a win at Miami. The Pats STILL finished TWO full games past us WITHOUT THERE BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER! I know Favre was hurt in the end, Mangini sucked and all that other BS but still the Pats lost TOM F'IN BRADY for the YEAR and they didn't make any excuses, they went out and won 11 games and missed the playoffs barely in a year where 11 usually gets you a bye.

Now as for Sanchez, he was not the reason we lost to INDY, probably played his best game of the year against them. He still is learning and growing as a QB but I can't see him costing us games this season like he did against Buffalo and New Orleans this past year. He will be much improved as we saw the strides he made in the playoffs, but I'm not expecting him to carry the team on his shoulders yet either.

This year can be the Jets year and winning the division is an important goal to reach to get where we wanna go, but it won't be easy and I wouldn't count out New Endland till they are mathematically out of it. One things for sure though, its going to be one hell of a season and I can't wait!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How would winning the division change anything? We still would've ended up in Indy playing the AFC Title game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3545709]No, but starting a rookie QB sure cost us a chance to win the division.:yes:[/QUOTE]

While this is true, starting a veteran like Clemens for the year might have got us 1 or maybe 2 extra wins.

However don't think for a second they make it on a run to the AFCCG like Sanchez did, they probably wouldn't of won the WC game at CIN.

Sanchez made big plays in the playoffs and played great, especially in the CIN and IND games. He needed the expirience from the season to get him to where he was at in the playoffs and were a better team not only last postseason, but going into this season because of it IMO.