Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Jones | Syracuse, DT

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Arthur Jones | Syracuse, DT

Anyone see if he has had a workout yet? I can't find anything.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skipped the pro day. Supposed to workout sometime in early April. Will be interesting to see what comes of his workout as this dude has fallen off the face of the planet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He better get his 40 time in by the time April 15th comes around.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He might have been a 4-5 round pick who could play DE.
    Except for the fact that he blew out his knee and had surgery.
    Many better alternatives to look at for a DT who can play 3-4 DE.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    Anyone see if he has had a workout yet? I can't find anything.
    Tuesday/2PM

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    For all you UFC fans, he's Jonny Bones Jones's brother. Made me a much bigger fan of Arthur, haha. His brother is an athletic BEAST.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    heres an article about him preparing for pro day

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootb...le_back_i.html

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He might have been a 4-5 round pick who could play DE.
    Except for the fact that he blew out his knee and had surgery.
    Many better alternatives to look at for a DT who can play 3-4 DE.
    Say whattt. Jones is a helluva DT. He was being looked at as a high 2nd round, low first prospect. Some teams gonna get a big steal if they nab him in the 4th or 5th.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Say whattt. Jones is a helluva DT. He was being looked at as a high 2nd round, low first prospect. Some teams gonna get a big steal if they nab him in the 4th or 5th.

Not trying to be rude here, but what is - is.
    1. He blew out his knee and had surgery. He has been rehabbing, but a knee is always a problem. Damaged goods. Can he recover? ??
    2. The Jets play a 3-4. There is no way at his size he can be a NT. Just 300. IF he any speed (remember he can not have been doing much running), he is a 3-4 DE candidate for a 3-4 team. The Jets have far better pick opportunities at DE in rounds 1, 2 and 4.

I see you are from Syracuse but sorry he's not for the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    1. He blew out his knee and had surgery. He has been rehabbing, but a knee is always a problem. Damaged goods. Can he recover? ??
    2. The Jets play a 3-4. There is no way at his size he can be a NT. Just 300. IF he any speed (remember he can not have been doing much running), he is a 3-4 DE candidate for a 3-4 team. The Jets have far better pick opportunities at DE in rounds 1, 2 and 4.

he didn't blow out his knee- he tore his meniscus, very minor in the world of knee problems....its' six-to-eight weeks rehab which took him until the middle of January and knocked out any chance of playing in the Senior Bowl and just a month to train for the combine...

he can't play NT in a 3-4 but he has all the makings of a two-gap end...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I am from Syracuse, but anyone whos anyone knows what type of prospect Jones was before the injuries. He is a prototypical 3-4 DE. He consistently broke double teams to make plays in the back field, very strong. He doesn't have a wide variety of pass rush moves but he is athletic. Every play he goes hard.

He's not for the Jets? What kind of players do you want for the Jets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

1. His knee injury was minor

2. No he can't play NT, but he will be an excellent 3-4 DE for the Jets. He can only be had in the 4th because he lost momentum while he was rehabbing and such.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;3546515]Not trying to be rude here, but what is - is.

I see you are from Syracuse but sorry he's not for the Jets.[/QUOTE

where the jets pickin the second round.I would pick alex carrington in a heart beat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    1. His knee injury was minor

2. No he can't play NT, but he will be an excellent 3-4 DE for the Jets. He can only be had in the 4th because he lost momentum while he was rehabbing and such.
    This is not a nothing injury. You are being cavalier with someone else's body.
    I have known athletes with this injury. Some recover in a reasonable time, some do not. There can be recurring pain and some loss of motion and mobility.
    If his injury was so minor he would have been at the combines - 3 months AFTER the injury and surgery.
    Same with comments about Leon. "His leg will be much strong after the compound fracture". Right. Any injury requiring surgery is not good.
    Sanchez had what was reported to be a very minor nothing. Is he running yet? Any injury to an important body part should be viewed with caution and skepticism.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have known athletes with this injury. Some recover in a reasonable time, some do not. There can be recurring pain and some loss of motion and mobility.
    If his injury was so minor he would have been at the combines - 3 months AFTER the injury and surgery.
    Same with comments about Leon. "His leg will be much strong after the compound fracture". Right. Any injury requiring surgery is not good.
    Sanchez had what was reported to be a very minor nothing. Is he running yet? Any injury to an important body part should be viewed with caution and skepticism.
    Agree, recovery varies from 1 athlete to another - we won't know for sure how well he's doing till he works out. If he's recovered sufficiently, we can pick him for chaep in the later rounds and if he can be an impact player, then I'm definitley interested to see him in green and white.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify...Leon's leg won't be "much" stronger...and obviously this isn't immediate...but generally speaking bones can and do grow back stronger.

The surgery he had was due to the fact that the bone broke the skin...The only extra thing that adds is that this can lead to infection. Actually...on second thought...the surgery was probably meant to speed up the process of the healing...iunno I'd have to read up on it or ask someone who might know.

As far as Jones...his injury probably isn't going to kill his career...the worst it did was probably drop him into the 3rd, though I've seen alot of late 2nd in mocks. 4th round isn't crazy either....
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    For all you UFC fans, he's Jonny Bones Jones's brother. Made me a much bigger fan of Arthur, haha. His brother is an athletic BEAST.
    Bones is going to be champ eventually... He's unbelievable.

Thanks for this though, didn't know that at all.

I hate Arthur as a player though.. Zero strength at the point and his tape is just awful. Watched him during the season when he was quickly labeled as a likely first rounder but the guy is just not good. Now I watch more games and it's even more obvious.

Someone like Atkins may go lower than Jones but will be twice the player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Bones is going to be champ eventually... He's unbelievable.

Thanks for this though, didn't know that at all.

I hate Arthur as a player though.. Zero strength at the point and his tape is just awful. Watched him during the season when he was quickly labeled as a likely first rounder but the guy is just not good. Now I watch more games and it's even more obvious.

Someone like Atkins may go lower than Jones but will be twice the player.
    I don't hate Jones, but I've had similar thoughts about him. Not a natural 2-gapping DT, and not a good enough pass rusher that I saw star potential. Also, his legs/lower body is thinner than you'd like.

One thing I do know...for this D...my boy Oghobaase was and is the better prospect. That's the build and skillset of a 3-4 DE....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I don't hate Jones, but I've had similar thoughts about him. Not a natural 2-gapping DT, and not a good enough pass rusher that I saw star potential. Also, his legs/lower body is thinner than you'd like.

One thing I do know...for this D...my boy Oghobaase was and is the better prospect. That's the build and skillset of a 3-4 DE....
    Your boy is going to be a player and I'd take him without a doubt. I'd really think long and hard about him with the 2nd rounder.

I know it seems like most people have him 4th round and all the like but the guy has extreme strength and obviously a great body type. Mobility isn't that good but Rex's defense is one of the few defenses that can take all types of defensive front 7 guys. (Although he's definitely the prototype DE in your standard 3-4)

Ultimately I think his film will win out and he goes 3rd round. I would be unbelievably happy if he somehow got him in the 4th though.

The injury stuff I don't know enough on him though...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    evidently tweaked his hamstring and did not finish the forty....not good for Jones...