Thread: If we end up with only 3 picks...

If we end up with only 3 picks...

We all know the Jets like to trade up for the players they covet. Lets say they trade their 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rounders to get into the 3rd round. I am sure the Jets will bring in quite a few undrafted guys, and they have been pretty good there, so coming out of this draft with only 3 picks is not crazy talk.

Their rookies have been asked to step in right away for the most part in recent years (Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Keller, Sanchez, etc). My question to you is: what 3 positions do you think we should take that can step in immediately and make an impact on this team?

The 3 positions I think guys can come in and contribute right away at are (in no particular order) WR, DE, CB. I want to include Safety and OLB but if we are going with just 3 positions than I would stick with the four guys we have slated to play Safety and bank on Gholston improving this year with hopefully a guy like Westerman pushing him.

So with this format I would throw out a mock draft like this:

1. Golden Tate, WR (Notre Dame)
    This pick could be Demaryius Thomas but I think Tate offers some things that the Jets are looking for which is why they tried to trade back into the first round last year to nab Percy Harvin. Much like Santana Moss as a rookie, Tate would start in the slot and has the ability to move to wide out and become a featured target in time. I would love to go defense in the first round but wide receiver might be the best value on the board when we pick.

2. Alex Carrington, DE (Arkansas State)
    More of a small school prospect but Carrington had great production (21.5 sacks and 40 tackles for loss throughout his college career). His strength stood out at the Senior Bowl and he is a guy that is serious about football. He is strong and stout against the run but can get upfield with his strong hands and ability to stack and separate.

3. Amari Spievey, CB (Iowa)
    With Revis and Cromartie we really only need a nickel cornerback but nowadays that is a guy that will be on the field for a lot of snaps. And your nickel needs to be a gamer and the Jets need to replace Donald Strickland who just could not stay on the field because of injuries. Spievey has decent size at 5'11 195 and has good speed. Was a shutdown corner for the Hawkeyes and teams rarely threw to his side of the field. Maybe the Jets strike gold with a Hawkeye in the 3rd round two years in a row?

I am interested to see what kind of draft everyone can put together using this format. So have at'er and lets see what you got! I am sure I would have come up with something different yesterday or tomorrow but as of today this is a draft that makes sense to me.
    Last edited by jetsfaneh; 04-03-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

1. Carlos Dunlap
    2. Dexter McCluster
    3. Jacoby Ford

4. See you in Dallas

To tell you the truth I really hope we don't do the trade up move this year unless it is another home run Eric Berry type of thing. I would rather us trade down perhaps. Just looking at the JI insider draft (not that we are great gms or anything) and you see what appears to be terrific value through the 3rd and even 4th rounds.

Despite how the Jets like to trumpet how we like out UDFA and how they have turned out the simple fact is on the average 4,5,6 rounders should be better players than UDFA. We also have eroded our depth over the years in some positions. Our special teams for instance took a massive hit the last couple of years. We lost to Miami pretty well 100% because we couldn't cover a kick off.

If a sure fire guy we want doesn't fall to us at 29 I'd have no qualms trading down and getting an extra pick or two that way.

I know this has been tannys strategy in recent years. It has worked.

However, I think if the guy we want is gone in the first, then tanny trades down. Imagine this scenario:

Trade our 1st for a 2nd and 3rd.
    Leon washington for a 2nd

I think tanny could do some damage with that aresnal of picks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMarkSanchez View Post

However, I think if the guy we want is gone in the first, then tanny trades down. Imagine this scenario:

Not sure if we can get a 2nd for Leon. However your point is good. In the JI insider draft I have been drafting for the pats and having three 2nd rounders was a glory haul.

All League

I like that!!

I am sure we could get a S, WR, CB or DE to our needs in the 2nd in that scenario and then take the leftover in the 3rd and still get a FINE player

Cody, McCluster, and Mesko.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 04-05-2010 at 01:53 AM.

All Pro
    Going by who's available at 29, 61, and mid 3rd round in the JI mock...

1-Tate
    2- Cris Cook
    3- Alex Carrington

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Not sure if we can get a 2nd for Leon. However your point is good. In the JI insider draft I have been drafting for the pats and having three 2nd rounders was a glory haul.
    Beerfish, I hear you on the 2nd for leon. It is ok to dream isn't it?

It is STILL possible however. Some team might do it. If not it will look like this:

Don't even get me started on the pats mocks. Damian Williams or D thomas, Aaron hernandez who i like, kareem jackson or patrick robinson....ryan matthews??? Some solid options.
    Last edited by MarkyMarkSanchez; 04-04-2010 at 12:56 AM.

This thread has been hijacked by the trade down posse. Don't get me wrong, I am all for trading down in this draft but it seems like every year we are coming out of drafts with very few players (and very good players at that).

So lets not make this a "to trade or not to trade" debate. Just pretend this is the way things played out. Humor me if you will. I would still love to see what positions you would address and what players you think would fit. The GM made the moves but you are in the room with a voice to be heard.

Banned
    Taylor Mays
    Damian Williams
    Dexter McCluster

If we were to draft Dexter McCluster during the 2nd round, that means Leon Washington would no longer be a Jet, but you know what? Dexter McCluster would replace him as an explosive Offensive/Special Teams X-Factor.

Give the Jets those 3 young talents and watch out.

We are set on the D-Line as of right now, thanks to the return of Kris Jenkins, as well as the solid play of Pouha, DeVito and Green last year. Our D-Line is looking good right now.

We have too much money invested in Gholston as of right now, we need to see what happens this year with Gholston under Rex Ryan and if he doesn't put up productive numbers... It's seriously time to move on and go OLB with our 1st pick next season. But as of right now, I'm confident in Pace, Thomas, Gholston and Westerman. This will be Gholstons 3rd year in the league, this is the year that will tell it all.

As far as the CB position goes... We need a dime back, but we are set with Revis, Cromartie and Lowery as our Nickel Back; Thats talent right there.

If we lose Leon, McCluster would be the perfect fit. Taylor Mays could turn into an amazing FS and Damian Williams? He's what our Offense really needs; Another weapon.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 04-04-2010 at 10:36 AM.

I'll take themikeishots method: Going by who's available at 29, 61, and mid 3rd round in the JI mock...

1-Jerry Hughes
    2- Dexter Mccluster
    3- Montario Hardesty

or

1- Deymarius Thomas
    2- Toby Gerhart
    3- Jason Worilds

All Pro
    I'm sorry but this is down right foolish. All we keep hearing from everyone is how deep this draft is. Best one the last 20 years. talent stretches back into the 5 round. (especially on the offensive side, look at our JI mock draft)

And here, we talking about balking on the rest of the draft, for 3 picks?? That most of you spent 2 out of 3 on WRs?

Who is going to trade a 2nd round pick for a RB that can't even run right now?

So why trade a 2nd for a RB that can't run right now when you could use that 2nd on a McCluster or another RB?

You should try reading the entire thread.

1) Tate
    2) Alualu
    3) Mesko the punter

I'd have to say:

Hughes
    Alalu
    Gerhart

PS DefenseWIncchampionships D WIlliams will not be there at 61!